All reviewssports barthe concierge loungesilicon valleyself parkingroom servicelarge hotellevi stadiumtech companiestheme parkbit datedbusiness tripgreat america parkconvention centerparcellobbystarbuckscharacters
Reviewed 15 May 2018

We stayed one night after the Taylor Swift concert at Levi Stadium. Boy, was the hotel prepared for this crowd! The line at checkout was long, but moved quickly and numerous staff members in the lobby ready to answer questions. One concierge sought out the moms and passed out a small bag of heart shaped cookies & candy with a sweet poem attached for Mother's Day. Life-sized cardboard Taylor Swifts adorned the lobby and a makeshift mini stage for photo ops enhanced the special occasion. When we reached the hotel close to midnight after the concert, tired and hungry, the hotel had a buffet in the bar offering an array of substantial post-concert food. As other reviewers point out, sure, the hotel is older, but I found it to be clean and comfortable and the staff very friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
TeamMarriott, Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Dear marilyse2018,

Thank you for choosing the Santa Clara Marriott. We are grateful for your compliments about the service provided by our staff and are glad to know you enjoyed your time being here. We hope you will visit us again the next time you are in Santa Clara!

Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

I bounced back and forth between 1 and 2 stars but feel the perceived water issue concerns me enough to leave at 1 star.

I travel to the area fairly frequently but this is my first time staying in Santa Clara at this Marriott. Check-in went smoothly but there was about a 15-20 minute wait on a Monday afternoon. The person checking me in explained they were short handed and apologized for my wait. He was nice about it and rushed through the check in process to get to the next guest (which is perfectly fine and I prefer to just get the key and go). No acknowledgment of status (I am just Gold though) with Marriott which I know is kinda stupid to complain about but it adds up to the rest of the experience and makes me wonder if this is a hint to bigger issues.

Room was satisfactory. It is what you would expect in an older hotel - bathroom is small and cramped but not a big deal. TV worked fine, lighting was standard, etc. Adequate sounds like the most appropriate word. It did make me question whether the rate for the room was in line with the quality of the room. The hotel is need of a full renovation in general based on rates they charge.

Sleeping in my particular room was another story. I was located either next to or below some sort of service elevator (never got an explanation from the front desk). Each night at different hours of the night, 3am the first night, then 1am, then midnight and again 4:30am - a loud elevator type sound would start where it sounded like an elevator or train on tracks running then a loud click. It would go on for hours. I called one night and asked what it was and they said they would call engineering and have it shut down (great!) then it started again a couple hours later... they did offer to change my room the final night (tonight) so hopefully I can come back and update the review with better news on this front. If you are at all a light sleeper, make sure you ask for a quiet room (and my room was at the end of the hallway so don't assume that's enough).

They do not do a concierge breakfast on the concierge floor. They do it down in the sports bar (logical, right?) which is offset from the main lobby and not at all obvious (or not to me at least). I missed this the first two days as there was no sign indicating this on the concierge floor but there were empty wine glasses and dirty plates from the night before so it was clear when I saw these the third day that that was not where breakfast was. A simple sign or word at the front desk at check in would have avoided this confusion (and it wasn't just me) completely. I asked the front desk and they acted like I was stupid for not knowing that they serve breakfast in the sports bar that has hours posting it opens at 4:30.

Also, and maybe most concerning, there looked to be some issue with the water at the hotel (just based on my unscientific observations and opinion but judge for yourself from the picture). When filling a glass from the faucet, it comes out extremely cloudy. Honestly, I have never seen anything quite like it. I showed the attached picture to the front desk who said I need to run the water longer. I ran it for 5 minutes as a test when I got back up to the room and same thing occurred. I told the front desk that I was concerned it wasn't safe to drink, use for coffee, or brush my teeth. And all I got was something like "I don't know sometimes you just need to run it longer." I am not really one to freak out about these things but I was pretty shocked by how casual the hotel's response was to this... I have stayed at many other hotels in the area and this is not normal.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
TeamMarriott, Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Dear Bryant C,

Thank you for your stay at our hotel and for your comments. We sincerely apologize that you experienced so many difficulties during your stay with us, especially the issue you ran into with our water. This is not the level of service we generally provide and it certainly does not meet our standards. We have shared your comments with our entire staff and we will take the appropriate action to prevent these issues from happening again. Please rest assured we're looking into the cause of your cloudy water as well. We hope that we will have another occasion to meet your expectations and to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

I’ve been in several Marriott and had never expected such a disaster:
- AC in the room is like a plane taking off
- Cleaning is random, my trash hasn’t been emptied in 2 days
- Breakfast is overpriced for Minute Maid juice and caned fruits
- Room service is overpriced with surprise extra charges in small at the bottom of the menu
- Don’t get me started on the decoration that hasn’t been updated since 1985
- If your neighbour wants to shower or go to the bathroom, you’ll know for sure and feel like you’re having it with him

The only thing that stopped me from putting only one star was the staff, very helpful and super friendly.

That hotel needs a major refresh to be deserving its Marriott franchise.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liir
TeamMarriott, Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Dear Liir,

Thank you very much for staying with us. While we were so happy to read that our staff left a great impression on you, we apologize for the issues you encountered during your visit, and that we didn't promptly respond to correct them. We take the condition of our rooms very seriously and have inspections in place to keep many of the problems you mentioned from happening. Your feedback has been shared with our management team and steps are being taken to ensure this does not happen again. We hold ourselves to extremely high standards and should you stay with us again, we believe you'll see that this was an isolated incident. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to prove this to you on your next visit.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

A co-worker and I stayed here while in town for work. Price was over $500 per night and my room is small and not roomy at all. The bathroom was so tight, the door, the toilet and the bath tub practicially touched. My co-worker's room was bigger but then we realized it must be a room for wheelchair accessible, because of the layout. She also contracted some rash, from either the towels or soap she used in the room. Hotel also charged both of us for the car parking fee, even though we shared a car, but did remove one after we spoke with the front desk. I would not recommend this place...there are lots of other options.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank kaaabing
TeamMarriott, Resident Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Hello kaaabing,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay. We are sorry that your room was not as spacious as you were hoping for. If you are back in the future, please feel free to contact us so we can suggest a room type that might better meet your needs. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again on your next visit to our area.

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

For a rate of over $500 per night and Platinum Status, I fully expected a much better experience.

Rooms are small and stale with old finishes, shower curtains yellowing, and cleaning service subpar.

Check in process was smooth. Bellmen were friendly. Bar was well stocked, but closes at midnight.

On a positive note, the Elite breakfast was better than some Marriotts I’ve visited.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank ZTALiz
TeamMarriott, Resident Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2018

Hello ZTALiz,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We were pleased to note how happy you were with our check in process. We're sorry you feel we did not merit the rate you paid. We conduct regular surveys to make sure we are competitively priced with hotels of the same caliber in our area. We appreciate all of your great feedback and hope to have you as our guest again.