“Paradise in Santa Barbara”
other traveller has booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Cottage -
3 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, Sleeps 6
Santa Barbara, California

Reviews from our community

Very good - based on 13 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Any
BestRenta...
Santa Barbara, California
“Paradise in Santa Barbara”
Reviewed 4 January 2011 for a stay in December 2010
people found this review helpful

The service was fantastic. The accommodations were superb. The place was spotless, exceedingly well stocked, spacious, comfortable, friendly, and truly a wonderful place to stay. Paradise Cottage has become a family tradition and we have stayed here many times. I am a neat nic and the place is immaculately clean. We are never disappointed and plan to come again in 2011!!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Visit was for: Leisure
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Management Response
5 Jan 2011
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others -- we are delighted that you found everything that you needed and that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back on another visit and to maintaining the very highest of standards at our magical home.

All the best for a very Happy New Year!
Francesca and John
norcalite
Silicon Valley, CA
“Property has rats & owner tries to illegally pass on Paypal surcharge fees!”
Reviewed 19 June 2010 for a stay in June 2010
people found this review helpful

We rented the Paradise cottage on Shelby St in Summerland, CA for 4 nights. Jasmine cottage is on the same lot. There were rats running around on the property.

On the first night we were there, my husband noticed something moving in the bushes near the outdr dining table across fr the bbq grill. He thought it was a cat. He went back to investigate later b/c he could still hear something causing movement & saw a huge rat trap. The owner expects renters to throw household garbage into the trash bins on the side of the driveway. I could not find the bins so my husband went out to find them. They were concealed nicely from the public eye but when my husband opened one of the gates, he discovered rat poop all over the trash bins & surrounding area.

The morning of our second day, we discovered the cottage gate on the Shelby St side was open & trash was left on the ground in front of it. We wondered if someone might have come into the property during the night & felt uncomfortable since there was no way to lock the gate. I contacted the owner & told him what happened. There were also two outside lights that were not working which I brought to his attention. He didn't seem concerned in the least & told me that I could always purchase a piece of rope to secure the gate! The other owner called me back & told me that Summerland had a reputation for being safe. It still did not make us feel comfortable & we were a little annoyed that neither of the owners showed up to at least bring us a lock for the gate. That night I threw out a bag of garbage & there was rat poop everywhere.

On the third night, I was standing by the other cottage gate leading to the front entry stairs off the driveway. Something ran from under the gate right past my feet. At first, I thought it was a cat, then when I saw the tail, I realized it was a pretty huge rat! I did not bring it up w/the owner until we left the property. She acted like it was no big deal & responded by saying "I don't know what your conditions are like, ALL of CA has rats!" I told her that she must have known that there was rats on the property b/c she had a huge rat trap in the bushes & asked her why she did not mention it to us before we rented (?!). She ignored the question. I then told her that she put us in danger of possibly getting bitten by having to take trash out to the bins on the driveway & that it is unhealthy, not to mention unsanitary, to have rats running around a vacation rental property. We would have liked the chance to decide whether or not to rent a cottage property w/rats!!!

Prior to arrival, the owner collects all charges & gave us two options to pay the rental fee, rental tax, $150 cleaning fee, & $300 refundable damage fee. We chose to pay w/a Mastercard. The owner uses Paypal for credit card transactions. I told her that I was hesitant about using Paypal & she said it would be fast/easy, especially since she covered all Paypal surcharge fees. I went through w/the transaction. On the morning of our departure, I called the owner & she said that I would receive my $300 refundable damage fee back MINUS the Paypal surcharge. I was quite annoyed & decided to wait for her to send the refund. She charged me for the Paypal surcharge. When a merchant accepts a Mastercard, it is illegal to charge a customer for surcharge fees! I contacted both Paypal & Mastercard to make sure I was in the right to demand that the owner promptly pay me back the full $300 damage deposit as stated in the contract. She contacted me by phone after I sent her an email & she replied back by email. She was incredibly rude on the phone & acted like I had done something wrong! I have the feeling that she has done this before & needs to understand the rules of using Paypal/accepting Mastercard. I am still waiting for my total $300 damage deposit refund.

One last mention of two amenities the owner lists for the Paradise cottage: the roof of the Jasmine cottage blocks out a lot of the ocean view. The view was adequate, not spectacular. Next to the Jasmine cottage on the next property is a home that overlooks the entire yard of the Paradise cottage. Across the street is another home that has a complete view into to rest of the Paradise cottage yard. The yard is not totally private.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Visit was for: Leisure
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
26 Dec 2010
We have been in business for almost 10 years and as such have had wonderful guests visit us over and over again. It is always our honor and pleasure to welcome guests to our homes and we do everything possible to keep them in meticulous condition, because we love our homes.

I am extremely sorry that this guest left unhappy and subsequently posted this review. I also realize that once posted, it can never be removed which is very unfortunate as we have had hundreds of happy guests, who have returned many times. And, we have no opportunity to counter this review other than to say that it is not correct.

If you are reading this response, I hope you will take a second to check out the other reviews that have been posted that will contradict what had been said here.

We look forward to welcoming you to Santa Barbara and Summerland.

Francesca and John
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing