Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
Arlington, Texas
“OK”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

While the property itself is fresh and new and kept quite clean, the overall experience wasn't as positive as other experiences I've had with the Courtyard brand. The staff was lackadaisical and unimpressive. Our room was not ready upon our arrival, as we'd arrived just after check-in time, I understand this sometimes happens due to late departing guests. However, the proper solution for this should not have been to offer a room with only one bed, when we'd clearly stated 4 people would be in the room. I found the breakfast cost to be too pricey. I've paid the same at a Marriott in a full-scale restaurant. The breakfast foods were not bad, nothing spectacular, but certainly not worth the fee being charged. Our room was clean and offered a nice, but small balcony, though the view wasn't much as this is a, largely, business/industrial area. Still it was nice to be able to get fresh air without having to go down and out. The property is nice and certainly convenient for the business traveler who may be going to any of the numerous large companies along South Harbor and in the area. Would I stay here again, sure, it wasn't, by far, my most unpleasant hotel stay, but it was nothing spectacular.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend a room on the first floor as they all seem to open up right on to the parki...
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ricksltlsister

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed here at the end of the summer. Although we booked a room with a King bed for one night, by the time we arrived we received two queens instead, but the young lady checking us in was very apologetic and nice and we sure were tired. The next morning at about 9.30 we wanted to use the hot tub ( for some reason called spa) to relax our muscles a little before using a pool. Before heading there I checked a few things at the front desk, and extended for another night. He wasn't very friendly. I asked whether there were towels out there to which he said yes. The pool area was thrashed from the night before, pizza boxes, wet towels, beer cans, room service, etc. Nothing was cleaned up, no clean towels in sight. I called the front desk and he said he'd try and call for towels. After 20 minutes ( i swam in the cold pool expecting the towels) still nothing. I called from the poolside phone a number of times, no answer. Then I called from my cell, the front desk picked up and I asked for the towels. He said he'd call it in again, but wasn't surprised when I mentioned they weren't there. About 40 minutes after I first requested them, the towels arrived by a cleaning lady pushing a giant trash bin, who left without taking a single plate or wet towel. The hot tub, when turned on, became a giant bubble bath, courtesy of the bathers from the previous night. Although we enjoyed the pool, we hoped for a cleaner experience the next day.
The next morning the poolside was clean, but without towels once again.
While the hotel looks great, the pool area is updated, calm, and even gorgeous when cleaned up, the very low quality of service soured this otherwise nice two day stay.

Room Tip: Try to pick a room with a view unto the pool and not the street or parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank EuropeanFlair
Melbourne, FL
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We were looking for a place to stay for a concert at the Galaxy. The Courtyard was only about 4 blocks up the street so it worked out perfectly for the location.

The hotel? Absolutely no complaints. The room was clean, check-in/check-out was flawless, and it was quiet (except for us maybe).

It's in an odd part of town. Kind of a cross between residential and professional buildings. But for our purposes, it was the perfect place to stay.

This is a 3-star hotel in a 5-star location (if you're going to see a show at the Galaxy).

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
anywhere
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Stayed here for 2 weeks during a business trip. The room was clean and standard for a courtyard room. Almost all rooms that are facing the garden & pool area have a balcony with a few chairs and a small table. The pool & garden area is pretty nice with a lounge corner, several sets of chairs/table on the grass, palmtres and some small banana plants. Pool looked ok, was too cold for me to swim. Jazcuzzi is on the side in a covered / semi open area. Disappointing I found that there was no normal restaurant / breakfast buffet in the hotel.. Just a small snackcounter where small snacks at night and some breakfast could be bought. So not included in your room. Free wifi and a modern lobby with a sitting area. The 'gym' consists of 3 machines cramped in a small room. With the 'spa' I guess they refer to the jacuzzi. Nice hot water though. Free parking but the hotel is a bit in an area with just companies and offices, ideal if you have to be there, otherwise not too inviting maybe.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank PELOWELOMAN
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 June 2011

We stayed two nights at this Courtyard as a "base of operations" for our jaunts to Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, Palm Springs, Carlsbad, and the beach. We received a quiet room on the far side of the hotel. It was clean, adequately sized for a family of four, and met our needs. Free wired and wireless high-speed internet was a nice feature, one I've really come to expect these days (and yes, the high-speed internet really was high-speed). The room was equipped with a large flat-screen TV which was a welcome feature for my teenagers.

I was able to print my flight boarding passes at the hotel's business desk area without issue, and received a complimentary USA Today newspaper.

The only critique I really have of the hotel is with the restaurant/breakfast area. The menu was basically a la carte (no buffet), and the prices were too high in my opinion. You're really paying extra for the convenience. Otherwise, you will need to run down the street to the nearest Carl's, McDonald's, Denny's, etc....

Room Tip: Request a room away from ice machines & doors
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3.1 km away
Ayres Hotel Fountain Valley/Huntington Beach
4.0 km away
Crowne Plaza Costa Mesa Orange County

Been to Courtyard Costa Mesa South Coast Metro? Share your experiences!