“Meh. Okay, but the "club" means Doubletree light.”

DoubleTree Club by Hilton Orange County Airport
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Santa Ana
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Meh. Okay, but the "club" means Doubletree light.”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I never knew the DoubleTree Club brand existed until this stay. In fact, I put "Double Tree" into the GPS upon picking up my rental car and it took me to the real DoubleTree, which is a couple blocks away. They were very friendly and directed me to the right place.

The location is great. Right next to the airport with easy access to the highways. I walked to an area nearby for a quick dinner and felt super safe and was satisfied with my options. It is built on an urban corporate park/apartment complex that has a nice lake in front of it. I ran there in the morning and it is about a .3 miles around and a nice feature.

First impressions are important, and the valet here needs some major help. I hate valet, and only use it if absolutely necessary. As I pulled up, I saw a ton of spaces. However, valet had set up cones that forced me to pull around to their staging area. The guy told me they were very busy and suggested valet. I asked him what my other options were, and he said "none- you have to valet". So I did, even though I think it was unnecessary. The hotel was going to charge me for parking anyway, but I'd rather do it myself.

I had a drink with a colleague in the bar the first night. The service was great. However, her food was unimpressive and overpriced. I had already eaten. Breakfast the next morning was far better.

The room itself was fine. It had obviously gone through a major remodel and they did an OK job- however you could tell some things were just not quite right.
Fitness center was very small, but not crowded when I was in there.

Overall, there is nothing majorly wrong with the property. However, when you see the "Doubletree" name you expect a bit more. This was certainly Doubletree light- and not worthy of the price I paid or my expectations.

Room Tip: Not quite sure- I know there are suites, but I was not offerred an upgrade with Hilton Honors Diamon...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank TDbusiness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Everyone was smiling and happy, the valet, front desk, restaurant and maid. The room was quiet, the bed was comfy and I received a complementary chocolate chip cookie.

I booked through hotwire and received a great price but wi fi was extra.

• Stayed May 2012
San Jose, California
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I travel a lot and had one of the best stays at this hotel. RYes, their "signature" warm cookies were good , but this DoubleTree has a lot more to offer. My room was very quiet, very clean, and just perfect. Their breakfast was very nice and setting was beautiful too (you could eat inside or outside, with a lake view.) Everyone was nice, especially Alturo at front desk with his willingness to go the distance to help guests made this stay even more wonderful. I didn't have a need for valet parking, but the valet staff were also very pleasant. Totally recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
San Jose, California
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We took our daughter down to southern California to tour UC Irvine and we stayed at the double tree club. This hotel is the best deal we've ever seen, considering its great location and comfortable room. Definitely staying here every time we visit our daughter in college.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cindy_h33020
Buena Park, California
Reviewed 22 May 2012

For the 3rd year in a row, we've brought back our soccer team to this same hotel. Our tournaments isusually just 30-40 minutes from where most of the players live but we choose to come back every year to Doubletree because of how well operate. Everything a person can ask for.. clean room and facilities, comfortable beds, breakfast is awesome, the pool is refreshing, the bar is a good stress relief and the staff very accomodating. Well done. Kudos to management and staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family