“Cuts corners, not your usual Mexican ”

El Chorlito Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 11 Restaurants in San Simeon
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Our waiter was really lovely, couldn’t of been better. However the food was very greasy and lacking the extras. I’ve never been to a Mexican where you don’t get salad, guac, sour cream, salsa, rice and beans with fajitas/tacos etc. Everything is ordered separately which makes it more costly of course. That put me off. Then my fajitas were served on a plate- completely bathed in grease. If we weren’t starving and it being 8.30pm I would of sent it back and gone elsewhere. If the food wasn’t greasy it would have been fairly decent. I patted it down with napkins. Sweet potato fries were different for a Mexican, they actually weren’t greasy and they were pretty good.

Reviewed 8 October 2018

After the Hearst Castle tour, we were hungry! There was no wait to be seated and we were served immediately with water salsa and chips. This may have been the 1st time I ever had heuvos rancheros. It was so good, I wanted to know all the ingredients and how to make it. They were happy to oblige with the recipe. I do make it occasionally, but they are never as good as El Chorlito

Reviewed 24 September 2018

Me and my partner visited here for dinner and had chicken and beef fajitas respectively. The fajitas were nice, although there weren't enough tortillas (2 each) and the ones we were given were very flimsy and collapsed when trying to build your fajita. The service was ok, although we ordered a beer which was forgotten about and we had to ask again.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Not very good, nice service, but good was subpar. It's pretty hard to get mexican wrong, and although this place has some charm and a view, it needs some talent in the cocina.

Reviewed 24 August 2018

We had been waiting for 10 minutes to be seated so should have left earlier but we were tired and thought things could only get better!
We were wrong, some others came in behind us and waited so we were then seated at the same time.
They were served their chips and salsa and their drinks but still the waiter forgot us, he served others their meals and still forgot us, 15 minutes later I had to almost stand in front of him to get him to come to our table and take our drinks and food order together because we did not think we would get him back again quickly!
He brought the drinks but not the chips so after waiting another 10 minutes and loosing the will to continue this farce I confronted him again and he brought over the chips.
The fajitas meat arrived with no fajitas wraps and the waiter could not understand what was missing from the order.
I can now understand why the margaritas were as they were having read the reviews about the place I should have done this before we went!
I really am not being unkind it was awful and I would never go there again it was how to end a really good day out feeling grumpy and dissatisfied