“Great setting, disappointing dinner.”

Ragged Point Inn and Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 San Simeon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 November 2017

The rooms here are pricey but I guess that can be expected given the real estate you're occupying. So I don't feel it's fair to complain about the $240 room--especially since the views are incredible.

If you're staying at the Ragged Point Inn, you have one option for dining since you're miles from anywhere else. Our party (eight people, eight rooms) had three meals here. Breakfast and lunch were both quite good and nicely presented. Dinner, however, was a huge letdown. Those of us who ordered the pricier meals found the preparation to be quite poor. Example 1: Steaks were gristly and not cooked to desired levels of doneness. Example 2: pasta was cold and flavorless. My suggestion to diners: minimize your risk at dinner and order a burger or a salad.

Fortunately, the desserts (which came from the on-site bakery and coffee shop) were very good. And many of us ordered them at dinner because we couldn't stomach our entrees.

Service was quite good at every meal.

Room Tip: Allow time to explore the property and to spend some time on your balcony. The views are incredible...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

We visited there in November 2017. Amazing view. From Our room
we could see the ocean, deep blue, with black little mountains. The room was cozy, clean and very aesthetic and the stuff was nice.
Very recommended!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

I get the felling of ”Twin Peaks” when we arrive late evening, the fog is coming in from the sea and the vawes is hiting the coast. We got a wounderful room, great view and open fireplace. Perfect to go here with you loved. Great restaurant, and just 20 minutes to Hearst Castle

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

I had a reservation booked through Expedia for one night but the Fagged Point Inn and Resort cancelled it after I had driven 4 hours to escape the Santa Rosa fires. I was a half hour from the resort and I got a call from the hotel saying they wouldn't be able to honor our reservation even though we had booked it one day prior. The hotel clerk was extremely rude, her tone was stern and made me and my wife rather uncomfortable. She offered no reason why, other than saying "I don't know how you made this booking on the day of but I will not honor this." I explained to her that I had booked it the day before through Expedia, but she just said, "There's nothing I can do. You can't have a room here tonight." After suffering a tragic loss in our family due to the fires, this was rather disheartening. We wanted to get away from all the tragedy and sadness up in Northern California to celebrate our one year anniversary, but felt really let down by the staff at the Ragged Point Inn and Resort. They didn't offer any help after I asked what should I do. No recommendations of other places to go, or any type of comfort regarding the reason why she decided to cancel our booking when we were nearly at the hotel. I was very disappointed and don't know what to say.

I emailed a complaint and they said booking through Expedia sometimes doesn’t go through at night and they tried to call me first thing in the morning so I wouldn’t drive down. But they were lying. They called me at 5pm when check in was at 3pm.

I will never recommend going to the Ragged Point Inn and Resort.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank psychotamale
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

Nice, clean rooms but the true reason for staying here is the view from the cliff side rooms. We were in a ground level room and were literally 10 steps from the edge of the cliff. The power went out through the night and apparently it was a planned maintenance outage but no one told us about it and suddenly my crap machine stopped working- not a pleasant night sleep. Otherwise no complaints.
Note- there is no air conditioning but there is a fan in the room. This restaurant was pretty good and the grounds are beautiful. The front desk closes at 10 and you can call the after hours number in an emergency.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Simeon
30.1 km away
FogCatcher Inn
FogCatcher Inn
#8 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Ragged Point Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!