“Room with a view -- and that's about it”

Ragged Point Inn and Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 San Simeon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Like other reviews, our experience was consistent. The only reason I'm giving the Ragged Point 3 stars is because the views are outstanding, gardens nice and we did have a solid meal at the restaurant with good service from a hard working waiter. If I could do a 2.5 I would. You know things are run down when your 10 year old is pointing out stains on the comforter and chair and declares she knows why the hotel is called the Ragged Point iInn, with an emphasis on ragged. We found the room stuffy and beds super uncomfortable. Distance wise, it was a nice driving day from Ragged Point up to Carmel through Big Sur, which was our main reason for picking it. I think traveling through Big Sur with kids is challenging overall from a hotel standpoint and unfortunately, the Ragged Point will be off of our list of options in the future. I'm still confused why "resort" is in the name since the only amenities there are rooms, restaurant and snack bar...?

Room Tip: Try to book one of the updated rooms - we saw through windows that some appeared redone with flat sc...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Famo4Philly_PA

Reviewed 30 August 2012

We arrived after a days drive and were really looking forward to the rest in the hotel. The woman at the reception was one of the most terrible service people we have ever met. She did not look at us once as we were checking in and she turned away when we spoke to her. She was so far away from nice and polite as one can be! As we came to the room they had forgotten to put in an extra bed and therefor our ten-year-old had to sleep with his parents - it was a terrible night and we didn't sleep much. (Yes, we could have asked for a bed, but the woman at the reception had an attitude which left us not doing it.) We ate in the restaurant and the food was good. The service was OK, nothing special.
The next morning I told the lady at the reception about our welcome the night before and she appologized and said it was not the first time someone complained about that woman..... We should write the Manager, she told us.....

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Fetsund_NorwayGry
Reviewed 30 August 2012

When you look at the outside of the Inn, all the gardens , the scenery, even the parking, it's all very nice...the scenery is spectacular! The room had a wonderful view of Big Sur, Room 22! The bathrooms however were very dated, in fact there was mold on the shower caulking. The heat light in the bathroom didnt work, and the hairdryer only partially. The mattresses felt like original equipment (the Inn is probably 50+ yrs old!!). I felt every spring! The meals we had were excellent, but prices seemed to be based on the nostalgic fact that apparantly Oprah and Maria Schriver have stayed there on separate occasions. Lastly, the fella cooking the breakfast sandwiches needs to have a few lessons on customer service. He yelled at one of us "It's not open until the signs on!" ( the sign was on)(and we were told by other staff to get our breakfast food there!) It then took him approx. 20 mins to make four fried egg sandwiches?? Really?

Room Tip: Plan to be at your "Big Sur" destination early in the day. Make the most of the hiking /dr...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Sadly stayed here on a Route One road trip in rooms 26 and 27, spent a few days looking for a half way hotel between San Fran and LA.
It was a great location but the rooms need a upgrade as they feel like 1970's decor and are borderline clean,
It was just fit for puropse - would never stay more than one night
The restaurant was Ok just bit it is literary a service station on the side of Route 1.
Ok for one night on a long journey.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed at Ragged Point for 3 nights. I have no complaints about the room, it had an amazing view and was clean and comfortable. The problem was the staff, from the front desk to the restaurant to the coffee bar. Wow. These people must be overworked and/or underpaid because they seem to resent the customers. The night-time front desk woman was rude and grumpy. We would wait for ever trying to be seated at the sparsely populated restaurant by the hostess who would ignore you for at least 10 minutes before seating you. One night we stood with another couple in disbelief for quite some time as we watched her wander around the restaurant ignoring the group of people waiting up front. I did notice she was bussing tables, which might be part of the problem. Not sure that should be the job of the hostess....We ate in the restaurant because it was convenient, but nothing to write home about. Fine for sustenance, but not great. The clincher was the angry man in the coffee shop. My husband ordered a bagel and I stepped outside for a second and did not order with him. The guy had to go god knows where to throw his bagel into a toaster and came back 10 minutes later. At that time I told him I wanted a bagel, and he totally freaked. He actually said to me in a sarcastic tone..."KIDDO, you SHOULD have ordered with him"...um, I am 43, so maybe I should have been flattered ... And then he actually got in my husbands face and puffed up his chest because we expressed surprise at his weird reaction to a bagel request. I decided to forego the bagel....I did not know that toasting a bagel in a coffee/bagel shop was such a demanding request. There was no one else waiting or anything like that. He had nothing else to do. Totally crazy town this guy!!! The only thing I can guess is that for some reason the Inn will not buy the guy a toaster and he had to run to another kitchen simply to toast a bagel. Which would be annoying, but seriously, not my fault...My guess is the place is poorly managed or the manager is a jerk to the employees. Next time I wil stay at Treebones. We ate there twice after mediocre pricey meals at RP and it was a breath of fresh air. GREAT food, friendly people ready to offer advice about good hikes or things to do. This was completely absent at Ragged Point. Treebones also has a cliffside pool and hot tub..so I was doubly jealous when we checked it out. Next time, Treebones for sure. You may have to share a bath, but the amenities are better all around and the people were awesome there.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
30.1 km away
FogCatcher Inn
FogCatcher Inn
#8 of 12 in Cambria

Been to Ragged Point Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!