All reviews the cliff big sur gift shop gas station cliffside room hiking trail mini mart gas fireplace private beach hearst castle overlooking the ocean the pacific coast highway san francisco second floor on site restaurant hummingbirds sunset
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Three days atop the Pacific Coast cliffs, miles from anywhere else, at the south end of the Big Sur.... The view from our room was breath taking. The location, superb. Our room was comfortably furnished, with chairs set around a fire you can imagine lovely cosy evenings (weather was good for us in June so no need for the fire). We can sympathise with some of the comments about some staff - the coffee house lady was quite simply rude. But they will do well simply on location and although some staff weren't quite what you'd hope and its not cheap, overall we would go back and would recommend it simply for the location....

Room Tip: Pay for a cliff top view - anything else would be a disappointment when you pull back your curtains....
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My wife and I drove up from Morro Bay planning on having a nice lunch in the restaurant. We walked up to the "please wait to be seated" sign and two workers behind the counter were talking and then just walked off. Not even eye contact. We waited and twice someone came back to the counter, used the cash register and never even acknowledged our presence. After five minutes of apparently not existing, we walked out. Went to Cambria and had a GREAT sandwich at Main Street Grill. We will not be going to Ragged Point for a meal again. I should add that the restrooms were even worse. Mens had flooded, left ahem, particulates on the floor, no sign of cleaning at all. Only reason to stop is the view.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My friend and I were taking a 10-day drive up the coast and it was starting to get late. It was also starting to get extremely foggy and with the highway dangerous enough during the day, it's even more dangerous when you can't see. We really just needed a place to stop and came upon the Ragged Point Inn.

Admittedly, a room with two queen beds was a little more than we wanted to pay but conditions being what they were, we didn't have much of a choice. Our room was cute, sort of cabin style with an outdoor area. We ate at the restaurant and I had what may have been the best bread I've ever eaten in my life (I also got a breakfast sandwich the next day..oh my gosh it was amazing). Then it was off to bed.

When we woke up I couldn't believe my eyes. Our room opened right up to the Pacific and the grounds had a trail offering stunning views of the coastline and the PCH. It was unreal! It was one of the best views we had seen on our trip.

I had an amazing time at this place but I think because it was a surprise to me and I had no expectations. The buildings are nothing fabulous and you aren't getting 5-star accommodations but if you are between San Simeon and Big Sur and you need a place to sleep, this is it...and it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank casieg_12
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This hotel was recommended to me by a specialist US operator, whilst I agree the location is spectacular the facilities are disappointing. There was no warm welcome, the 'receptionist' (will not repeat what my partner called her here!) was rude to say the least, only interested in taking payment from us stating that we were really lucky the room had not been allocated to someone else as she had been unable to take payment from my credit card and had been trying to get hold of us for days - had my phone on all the time, no missed calls and similarly no email from them. The room was very basic, extremely cold at night, had thin walls, no curtains or black out blinds with lights from gardens shining in all night - not ideal for a good night's sleep! Also had a barking dog in the next room to add to misery. The restaurant food was ok, nothing spectacular. The gardens are very well maintained with excellent views, but I would recommend the path to the shore is avoided, we started to follow it but it became very treacherous so quickly turned around. By all means stop here whilst driving through the Big Sur but I would suggest you continue to Morro Bay if driving south or to Big Sur village if you want to stay in the area.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KVJ166
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Looking down from cliffside to the ocean was new for us. The views were great, no doubt, but the restaurant needed an update. The windows were in dire need of washing. The food was good and so were the CD's that they had playing, but the restaurant itself needed a makeover. The grounds were pretty, but needed some extra trimming etc. Our room was alright, but again, with views like the area has to offer, more updated resort details would do wonders for that place. We'd stay there again if only for the vew, but it wouldn't be our first pick.

Room Tip: Be sure and ask for a cliffside room overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family