“It's clean; that's about all we can say about it!”

North Bay San Rafael
North Bay San Rafael
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Reviewed 20 September 2016

We made our reservations in May, 2016. We didn't have a lot of choices in this area because rooms at the better motels/hotels were already booked for these dates. I read the reviews and chose this place because it sounded like the best available at the time. After reading the most current reviews, I have to agree with most of the newer ones. We were there from Sept. 15-Sept. 19, 2016. This motel is RIGHT off Highway 101, so you got all the highway noise in your room. When we checked in, the lady manager informed us that our room was on the second floor and there was no elevator. We are both 70, not invalids by any means, but that was a few long trips up those stairs with all of our suitcases! I am a very early riser and there was no lobby for me to go to each morning to read until my husband woke up, so he had to put up with a light on in the bedroom/sitting area. The manager had also told us at check in that breakfast, and I use that word loosely, was available in the office from 6:30-9:30. Friday morning I went to the office at 8:00 to get coffee for me and juice for my husband. There were several, prewrapped sweet rolls and blueberry muffins, 6 granola bars, two small bottles of fruit juice, one small box of corn flakes, and coffee, tea and hot chocolate choices. The next day I went earlier - there was no juice at all. The third day, I went down there at 6:30, then 7:00, but the door to the office was locked. When I went back at 7:30, it was finally open. There was only apple juice or grape juice, so I dinged the bell on the desk 3 times before the lady came out. I asked her if I could get some orange juice, she said no, and went back behind her closed door! Also, our last night, I went down to the office at 8:00 P.M. to ask for change so we could leave a tip for the maid service. Once again, the office was locked. There is free Wifi in the rooms, but no computer service to guests for printing out boarding passes. I have to look up our credit card statement to see what we paid for this motel room, but whatever it was, it was too much!

Room Tip: Not sure, since we only have stayed here the one time ... and we won't be going back to this pla...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sherry L

Reviewed 20 September 2016 via mobile

The manager was very nice and accommodating and we appreciated it. Our AC didn't work and she gave us another room to sleep in and not have to move our belongings! Thank you! If we return to the area, we would definitely stay again.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2016

After the stay I had a problem with the invoices. The woman who answered the phone and said she was a manger is the rudest person I have spoken to in a long time. I would like to speak to someone above her. I can’t believe she is the only manager I can speak with. She hung up on me when I when I was inquiring about the price differences I had in two rooms that was labeled as the same. She kept telling me to talk to Jacque as she had told Jacque this when she made the reservations. I was fine with the two prices as I had two rooms label King Suite and two labeled as standard. I realized the Suite were probably more but did not understand why the standards were two different prices. She told me one had a king bed in it but was still a standard room and cost more because of the bigger bed. I told her it sounded like she was putting us in whatever room she wanted and charging what she wanted and not to get hostile with me. At this point she told me it is whatever room is available and told me if I didn’t like the prices we didn’t need to stay there and hung up on me. When I called back and asked to speak to the manager I was told she was the manager and that there was no one above her. When I explained to her that it is my job to question pricing and that the bills had two different prices and the bills had two different descriptions and that we do stay there every year for an audit we do in the area and that she should not treat customers that way, she asked me if I was done speaking now with so much attitude that I told her that she does not know how to treat customers and must not want any and hung up on her. She was a very unpleasant person to talk to and should not be working in customer service. Thank you, Michelle Phone (916) 564-8727.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
4  Thank meck383
Reviewed 4 September 2016

I booked a Standard King room (as seen on reservations.com) a month prior to our trip. When we arrived we were given a room with a Queen bed. Went to the office and the young woman switched us to a room with two doubles. All was well except the AC only blew warm air. As we left for dinner around 5 p.m. went to the office and told the same young woman. When we returned at 7 p.m. the AC still was blowing warm. Husband went to the office again.....returned very upset and said come to the office with me. The woman at the desk had told him her daughter should not of given us a double room since it was $30 more a night, and we were going to be charged the higher rate. When I said the website said that was also a standard room I was told they had nothing to do with the booking site!! She came to the room to verify that the AC wasn't working (not that we didn't know how to run it as she implied). She seemed to not want to give us another room, and didn't seem to think a non working AC was an issue. Yes we were in San Rafael but the motel is right off the 101 and in a rather seedy neighborhood so leaving the door open just wasn't and option. At this point we were done with the place. She agreed to refund us for 3 of the 4 nights charged us for 1 night . We offered to pay a cleaning fee since we had been in the room to shower and change clothes, but the woman said no we had to pay for the night. We left and went else where at 7:30 p.m . This is a classic bait and switch scam IMO.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
6  Thank hrhairy
Reviewed 1 September 2016

Warm friendly atmosphere, easy access accommodations and very nice people. Clean room, king size comfortable bed and morning continental breakfast goodies. It's by the freeway, but you really don't notice.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
12.4 km away
Inn Marin & Suites
Inn Marin & Suites
#3 of 6 in Novato

Been to North Bay San Rafael? Share your experiences!