“Out of the way location”

North Bay San Rafael
North Bay San Rafael
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Teh motel room was adequate to oour needs. The location is east of the central section of San Rafael and meant getting in the car to get anywhere. The second night we stayed there we drove up to the room, only to find the parking lot full of worker's pickups and a group standing outside our room smoking and drinking beer. Luckily they dispersed relatively early, but they were also up early the next morning, revving their trucks before heading off to their jobsite. Good thing it was cheap!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 December 2011

Drove in after pricing two other comparative places. We extended two more nights. Clean and nicely decorated. They made the best of having a small breakfast area. One complaint was that yogurt and bananas were missing on our second two days leaving me only less healthy choices. Perhaps previous breakfast guests may have taken them? The pillows were so comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Yes, that's right, it was like a scene out of Seinfeld. I stayed at the North Bay Inn last week even though previous reviews warned of the motel not honoring reservations. Last week I booked with Hotels.com but called personally to confirm anyway.

This week I "saved" $20 by booking directly through the North Bay Inn website, got a confirmation number and thought I was actually going to have a room when I arrived at 5 pm after working for 12 hours straight. Sorry, guess again. No room at the inn; now where have I heard that before? My printed confirmation from their own website didn't phase the woman at the desk, that is when she finally got tired of me banging on the window for 5 minutes and deigned to unlock the office sliding glass door.

The door to the check in desk is locked at all times. The "continental breakfast" they promised would have been nice, since the man who finally answered the door at 7 am last week, who refused to give me a receipt for my stay, was the same gentleman who checked me in the night before and who had pointed to the still empty counter telling me that the continental breakfast started at 6 am. I guess the idea is to keep the door locked until everyone gets frustrated and walks away, or gets too weak from hunger that they faint, which I imagine makes it easier for the management to go through their pockets.

I asked for a wake up call that never came either.

Luckily I found a motel later tonight after several tires, but please take my word for it; stay away from this sorry excuse for motel unless you enjoy being ignored and lied to.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Dave7373737
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We drove 14 hours, one member of our party became quite ill. When we arrived, we had been stuck on a bridge for 2 hours. Suffice to say our trip was not starting out well. We drug ourselves in to register and check in to our pre booked room. They had no room! "Sorry, we tried to call you" the lady at the desk said. This was a lie, we had our cells with us all day. I had also double checked our confirmation the day before we left as is my custom. We had a confirmation number but they would not honor it. They did mention that in two days they might be able to get us a room. Our trip was ruined, we were literally stranded in a strange city. If I could sue, I would.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank travelutahgirl
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We were looking for an inexpensive place to sleep while hiking in Muir Woods National Park. We spent two nights at the North Bay Inn and it was perfect. The rooms are clean, the location is convenient, the rates are very moderate, and the property is extremely well maintained. It appears to be run (perhaps owned?) by a family, and they obviously treat it with care. We were particularly impressed by the grounds-keeping.
To complain that the motel's location seems a bit puerile; it's a discount motel, what are you expecting? Yes, there is a freeway nearby and the surrounding neighborhood is not filled with Starbucks and Macy's. If you want the Four Seasons, it's only an hour away in SF. But if you're looking for a clean, well-maintained, and inexpensive place to stay, the North Bay Inn can't be beat.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3.6 km away
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera

Been to North Bay San Rafael? Share your experiences!