“Beware of North Bay San Rafael”

North Bay San Rafael
North Bay San Rafael
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in San Rafael
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We drove 14 hours, one member of our party became quite ill. When we arrived, we had been stuck on a bridge for 2 hours. Suffice to say our trip was not starting out well. We drug ourselves in to register and check in to our pre booked room. They had no room! "Sorry, we tried to call you" the lady at the desk said. This was a lie, we had our cells with us all day. I had also double checked our confirmation the day before we left as is my custom. We had a confirmation number but they would not honor it. They did mention that in two days they might be able to get us a room. Our trip was ruined, we were literally stranded in a strange city. If I could sue, I would.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank travelutahgirl

Reviewed 15 July 2011

We were looking for an inexpensive place to sleep while hiking in Muir Woods National Park. We spent two nights at the North Bay Inn and it was perfect. The rooms are clean, the location is convenient, the rates are very moderate, and the property is extremely well maintained. It appears to be run (perhaps owned?) by a family, and they obviously treat it with care. We were particularly impressed by the grounds-keeping.
To complain that the motel's location seems a bit puerile; it's a discount motel, what are you expecting? Yes, there is a freeway nearby and the surrounding neighborhood is not filled with Starbucks and Macy's. If you want the Four Seasons, it's only an hour away in SF. But if you're looking for a clean, well-maintained, and inexpensive place to stay, the North Bay Inn can't be beat.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank frequent_flier_0813
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I read all the reviews that had trouble with reservations, but my experience was just the opposite. Maybe I'm more careful?

On a trip to surprise Dad for Father's Day, my sister and I drove up from San Diego/LA and Nina made the trip much easier. She confirmed my reservation by phone (there may be a delay or disconnect in the online booking system, and the fax machine was broken, and the contact email on the site was down, but I ALWAYS call to talk to a human at the desk at the location when I travel -- and I met Nina, so glad I did.) The desk Guy gave me a back-up email address, Nina answered the phone on the first ring to help with directions when the map was dumb (follow the Exit #, NOT the street name since those duplicate in that area), and we were in good hands.

It's a simple little motor court, but it's clean, quiet, central, easy in and out, free parking right at your room, and perfect for our needs. We were delighted to find that we qualified for a lower rate upon extending our stay, and Nina handled all of it personally... I felt like she was really pleased to host us. She warned my sister about changed street names, gave good directions, and had a warm easy way -- nothing lazy or snobby or off-putting. We were in her place and she was glad to have us.

Our double room was clean and fresh, newly decorated, with a good breeze, a fridge (I turn them down at night for quiet, then back up in the morning), a microwave, great TV, desk with good chair & lighting... and I love the black-out curtains. [TIP: bring a paperclip or clothespin to keep hotel room curtains closed against the dawn sunlight.]

I'm not a coffee/breakfast snacker, but you could get some complementary packaged goodies at the desk (don't call it a lobby, call it the check-in counter) to munch in your room on on your way on the road... it's a terrific room to base from, not a resort. Housekeeping was swell on our two nights, great bed & linens, and it was surprisingly quiet... a good steam shower, too.

We were out of the room from morning to night both days, but when we were in it, it was all we needed. And at such a nice rate that I'm going back for a visit later this month... it's just 4 minutes from the sweetest little town center, so I look forward to exploring with the North Bay Inn as my base. It's a great value with a personal touch.

Room Tip: Some upstairs (2nd floor) kind rooms have a little outdoor balcony, so no one walks past your room w...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank privateBuyer
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We came here because of prior T.A. reviews. We were not disappointed. The room was small. but comfortable. it was clean and bright, with pictures on the walls. We had 2 double beds, microwave, refrigerator, HD TV, a small table (with lamp) for my laptop, and a land-line Internet connection. There was an abundance of 20W CFLs (about 100 Watt incandescent) that provided plenty of light. The continental breakfast was minimal - packaged Danish, juice, hot coffee, tea, chocolate. For the price paid, it was a value. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank smoked333
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I had not stayed here before, but it was in the neighborhood where I had a business meeting, so I took a chance.
I found the front desk people friendly & helpful, and was frankly surprised at the value.
Very pleasant, clean room. Not noisy. Free breakfast, HD TV. All-in-all, Excellent Value!
I recommend this place without exception!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3.6 km away
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
Best Western Corte Madera Inn
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera

Been to North Bay San Rafael? Share your experiences!