“I often stop by for linch here.”

Lotus Chaat & Spices
Ranked #41 of 240 Restaurants in San Rafael
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Lotus Chaat & Spices is the North Bay’s only destination for delicious Indian Street food: dishes that will nourish you and tingle your tongue. Come provoke your palate with our kaleidoscope of flavors, textures and spices.
Reviewed 1 February 2017

I have had the special once and then several times a dosa. The food is fantastic and the Mango Lassi is wonderful.

Surinder S, Owner at Lotus Chaat & Spices, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2017

My name is Surinder Sroa and I am the owner of Lotus Chaat & Spices Organic Indian Restaurant and Store in the West End of San Rafael.

Lotus Chaat is a dining establishment that prides itself on its quality, cleanliness and service. We encourage our customers to speak with our staff about their experiences so we can learn from them.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you at a Lotus establishment again very soon.

Reviewed 11 September 2016 via mobile

So many chaat houses are just average, decent but undistinguished. But this one stands out: spacious, well lighted and decorated, clean, and welcoming. Restrooms are spotless. There's even a small spice store attached. Our friends, San Rafael locals, come here often and recommended their dosas, in our case both vegetarian and with meat. Excellent! They all had wine, but I had Indian beer, good. They also ask for your preference: mild, medium spicy, or spicy. All told, a enjoyable dinner, with excellent service.

Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

I love coming to this restaurant. Not sure if it's the good food, or the art on walls capturing various sides of Indian culture that always pulls my attention, or the man who is always there welcoming us with his kind smile or because it's usually quiet with Indian music playing in the background. Probably all of the above.

Reviewed 28 December 2015 via mobile

From Chaat to Dosa to Thali,
you can experience the flavors of Southern India in San Rafael without too much heat on the palate or too many bank notes left on the table.
Open through the midday for lovely convenience the Dosa special and Chai warmed our ... everything on a chilly Sunday between games.
Asked what spice level we would like, the medium is truly that and hot will make your for head sweat nicely. The chai was lovely and unsweetened.
The store next door had all sorts of products if you like making Indian food at home.What fun we had. Just like being in India again.

Reviewed 24 October 2015

This is no ordinary Indian restaurant. This is the only place I know of in the North Bay that specializes in chaat -- the tangy, scrumptious STREET FOOD I fell in love with decades ago when I was a Peace Corps volunteer in India. Rarer than hen’s teeth in North America, this is the real deal – flavors that explode in the mouth, not because they’re very hot (they’re not) but because many of them are created with yoghurt combined with tangy tamarind chutney. Try Dahi Vada, Bhel Puri, Dahi Puri – you’ll love them all. Plus, they also serve South India’s famous Dosas – and they’re delectable. If you’re looking for something more than a little different, Lotus Chaat is the place to go!