“Popular for good reason”
Review of Himawari

Himawari
Ranked #13 of 433 Restaurants in San Mateo
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 12 March 2018

If the tables are full, when you walk in you grab the clipboard and write down your name to get on the list. No frills here - wait staff busy with more important matters. We had delicious gyoza followed by the pork bowl and the crab/omelette one [I forget the names]. Gyoza were excellent. Both bowls very good. The omelette was huge. Miss an excellent rating because the water tastes like old tea - plastic glasses have absorbed the flavor [I think]

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Let's start with the broth. The menu states that the stock is a combination of chicken and pork, and so I expected a depth of flavor, a heartiness or meaty flavor and slight thickness from gelatin that is the result of hours of boiling bones. Instead the base for my noodles was merely salty. Next the noodles. Himawari's noodles were thinner than I'm used to which is okay as long as there is that chew from being on the edge of al dente which you have to eat fast so that they don't become too soggy from the broth. I didn't get that wonderful chewiness. However, I will admit that I liked the nori, bamboo shoots and the heavy hand with the chopped scallions and that the pork in my deluxe ramen included cheek and belly as well as the usual slices. I love a soft-boiled egg in ramen but wished the temperature of my broth was hotter in order to cook that egg a bit more. I was surprised how busy and packed the parlor was given how underwhelmed I was by my soup, but to each his or her own when it comes to ramen.

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Hip, friendly and tasty authentic ramen. Great broth, noodles and many choices. Also wide selection of other delicious classic Japanese small and large plates

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

This is the real deal. Superb broth, huge pieces of char su or pork belly. Vegetarian options as well. The karaage were crispy and not greasy, served with Japanese mayo. Will definitely go back!

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

If i wanted to served in my weeding day Himawari would be te option, love it!! #tantanmen #loveofmylife #himawarimylove