“Fantastic again - thank Goodness!”

San Juan Bakery & Grocery
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We used to visit this wonderful old establishment back in the day. Unfortunately in recent years it hit the skids with mediocre baked goods and shockingly nasty staff. Fortunately, it's been taken over by a whole new team with DELICIOUS doughnuts, pastries (holy cow the Bavarian Cream!). It's a good thing I don't live here or I'd be eating those glazed doughnuts daily!

1  Thank urbancountrygirl

Reviewed 11 May 2012

The cinnamon flowers were amazing. I brought home some cinnamon bread and I wish I would have bought more. Very yummy bakery.

Reviewed 9 December 2009

Wonderful specialty breads for the holidays. Made my wedding cake 31 years ago in clay oven. Fabulous place to stop !!! Every time I come to San Juan Bautista, it is a MUST stop. -- Carolyn R.

Reviewed 4 September 2008

A must stop if your in San Juan Bautista, its on the main drag with all the historic shops. Great breads of many sweet and not so sweet varieties. Dare you not to eat some on the way home.

Reviewed 8 October 2007

This little corner Bakery is a secret that needs to be shared with the world. Housed in an old Grocery/Bakery this special place bakes all kinds of breads, pastries and cookies. After spending a night in San Juan Bautista, we went to this delightful shop and had a wonderful breakfast sandwich on their homemade ciabatta bread. They also serve made-to-order sandwiches on their breads, making lunch a very good treat as well. They have small tables inside that allow you to eat and smell the wonderful bread that is baking at the same time. After our breakfast sandwich, we just had to have "dessert", the apricot cheese danish was so light and rich that it was hard not to have another. My hubby had the turnover with a crust so flaky and buttery, he too thought about seconds. We purchased a loaf of Portuguese Sweet Bread, a Pumpkin Raisin loaf, and a Chocolate Brownie loaf. Now that I think about it, perhaps it is good that this little treasure isn't closer to my home.....I'd end up weighing 800 pounds from eating all their goodies! I made homemade French Toast using their Sweet Bread, my youngest son is a french toast freak, and he is already asking when we can get some more of this bread...................looks like a road trip is in our future.