“Pretty good food; questionable service”

Village California Bistro and Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Village California Bistro and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 2,223 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Winchester & Stevens Creek
Reviewed 12 May 2012

The food here was good, but the wait staff seemed off their game. We were sitting outside and from my seat I could see the kitchen. The manager seemed to be yelling at every employee who walked by. A bit distracting. I couldn't try any of the wines because I'm pregnant, but everyone else in our six-person party enjoyed their selections very much.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

French Californian restaurant. In our view the best restaurant on the Row. Everything is great, you cant make a mistake. Service can sometimes be a bit unattentative, and all the wines are expensive. But still this is good. Also the indoor atmosphere is very nice, so even if there is outdoor seating, indoor is good.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

my wife and i had stayed at the valencia the previous weekend where i often stay for business. we were walking around santana row and when we looked at the menu for the village bistro, it looked like the type of food we would like. seafood and fish dishes, interesting appetizers and standard fare like beef done in novel ways. when i stayed at santana row the next time on business, i decided to take my business partner to dinner there since it had looked so good. unfortunately, based upon our joint eating experience, i would not go back to this restaurant. the appetizers that we ordered and shared were fine-not spectacular but good nonetheless-and these i would order again. we had the mezze special which was three spreads with some olives and pita bread and quite tasty. we also had the kobe beef carpaccio with truffle frites which was also good. not the most tender carpaccio i have ever had but good nonetheless. if the rest of the meal had been of this quality i would have given them four stars (3.5 really but they only allow integers on TA!). however, then the entrees came and both were extremely disappointing. i had ordered the "special of the night" which was a seafood risotto. ATTENTION MANAGEMENT: when your special of the night is a seafood dish, that should mean the seafood is the freshest available. when my dish came to the table, I (and my business partner) could smell it was fishy. i should have sent the dish back without even tasting it but i didn't. my mistake. i first tasted one of the mussels-it was bad so i took the other two out and put them on the side. then i started to eat the rest of the dish. it wasn't inedible but it certainly wasn't good. even the rice they used for the risotto wasn't very good (we make risotto regularly at home and know there is a huge difference between brands of arborio rice-theirs was like trader joe's version which should be avoided). also, the remaining fish in the risotto-while not off-wasn't particularly fresh. the waiter did bring me three extra shrimp to compensate for the mussels and i ate two of them but overall i left about 1/3 of the meal on my plate. for a $26 special this meal was unacceptable. my business partner got their thai curry with tofu rather than chicken or shrimp and he said it was pretty tasteless/flavorless. as a somewhat frequent curry eater (he is indian) i have to assume he knows what he is talking about as well. so this will be my one experience at the village bistro on santana row. if you can't count on the seafood being fresh in a special, and a thai curry being flavorful, it's not worth going there only for the appetizers. overall (with wine) the meal came to $120 before tip. my advice is to take your money elsewhere.

1  Thank wellingtontraveler
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I had dinne with a large group of friends in San Jose. This restaruant was recommended and did not disappoint. Needless to say, the wine selection was excellent, but wines were a bit pricey. The dinner selections were excellent as well with a good variey of seafood and other choices. One can choose from a large variety of appetizers and entrees and it was possible to make a nice meal with a variety of appetizers. The desserts were also creative and delicious. The atmosphere, although not fancy, was fine for a large group like ours. Overall a memorable meal.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a great little wine bar with many interesting selections! Our waiter was knowlegeable and very nice. The food was very good.