“An Old Master In Decline?”

Clearman's North Woods Inn
Ranked #4 of 252 Restaurants in San Gabriel
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Huntington Drive and Rosemead Blvd.
Transit: Local Transit stops just yards from the front door of the restaurant on the corner of Huntington Drive and Rosemead Blvd.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I haven't been to this location for some time-at least 4 years. First of all, the once charming entrance, the ample parking, and the quaint shops, are all gone. The entrance now looks like a back door (which is what it once was) dumps you off to a still dark restaurant, searching for the host/hostess station. You must walk through tables and the bar before you are flagged by the hostess/waitress. We were there for lunch on a Tuesday, party of 5 (I made reservations through a YELP application). We were turned around and sat in the bar area as the old dining area was entirely roped off and unused. At least we were seated right away. Our soft drinks were brought right away. We ordered a myriad of things. You can order from either a lunch menu or the dinner menu. We were there for a special occasion so we ordered from the dinner menu. Be prepared to PAY! A Rib-Eye dinner was 41.95, Supreme Filet Mignon was 38.95, other selections were the seafood platter, and a cod dinner. Our total bill was
$ 218.00. Remember, the dinners are served with rice pilaf, a baked potato, the signature mild bleu cheese salad, cheese bread, and the vinaigrette red cabbage salad. If your cardiologist allows, go ahead and order the cheese sauce on your baked potato! The brown gravy is good too.
I have been coming to the Northwoods Inn for many years. I still recommend it however, I feel that this once grand place is a little long in the tooth. By this I mean, The filets 9oz, and rib eye were pretty good. however, the bleu cheese salad dressing was thin, not as much cheesy sauce on the potato (and not as hot as it should be), not as many people waiting tables to keep your glasses filled, or bring you the check in a timely manner. Plus the ladies room was a mess. I feel overall they are trying to cut corners to keep the place open for lunch. I guess I can appreciate that-it makes be feel underwhelmed spending that much money for a lunch. Would I go to that location again? For lunch? Probably not, and I'm sad about that.

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

If you want to try out a unique steak spot that belongs back on the 70s this is it. The decor is hillarous. The food though is on point. We had the potato skins that were perfect and then we split a ribeye meal that came with cheese bread, two salads, rice, and a massive potato. All was tasty, great job to the chef. Highly reccomend this spot when in town. A must visit. I plan to come back with my family.

Reviewed 1 March 2018

I have been here 3 times since holiday time. The 1st visit on 12/23, the waitress didn't tell us about the specials. I went the next day with a different companion. It is one of my favorite places to go at Christmastime because it's so beautifully decorated. This time the waitress informed us of the surf & turf. A 3oz stuffed mini lobster tail served with a 3oz skewer of filet mignon. Served with a small salad, 2 pieces of their garlic cheese bread, and rice pilaf. Just the perfect size at a really reasonable price! I told my friend who was with me on the 23rd, and we returned a couple of weeks later. Too bad we missed out the 1st time. Hope this special lasts!

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Since I no longer live near by when in town it’s a must stop I have all my friends and family meet up here for lunch we all enjoy different orders but must have salad and bread come hungry you do get a nice portion my last trip had thre patty melt best ever and could only eat half with salad

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Love the salads they serve. I think the prices are a bit high for the steaks but the food is great, as well as the cheese bread which is amazing!