“Great value and clean”

Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Diamond Bar, California
“Great value and clean”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I had to make a last minute business trip to San Clemente. When I say last minute, i called at 4:30pm and arrived at 7:pm. I was told that I got the last room. My first thought was - it will be the worst room in the hotel on the freeway side. When I checked in, I was greeted with my name and notified that my ocean facing room with a king size bed was waiting. Wow. The room was clean and while it has an ocean view, the hotel is not right on the water. The main business district is a block a way with a variety of restaurants.

The continental breakfast was typical fare - muffins, cereal, OJ. nothing real special.

My plan was for only for one night. The morning I was originally planning to leave, I asked for an additional night as my work plans changed. Without hesitation, it seemed like they had to move a couple of reservations around so I could keep my same room. They said they were happy to have me for an additional night.

This is not a 5 star hotel, nor did I expect it to be. However, the cleanliness and staff make it 5 stars.

Room Tip: Face to ocean so you don't hear much of the freeway noise
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
New York
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Clean and spacious room equipped with Queen size bed, coffee table, sofa, balcony and LCD TV. Full size bathroom. Very comfortable room for 2 people. Ocean view is worth it. Nothing particular with the hotel itself, nice lobby, elevator, restaurant. Location is great, very close to main street, Avenida Del Mar, and less then 10 mns walking distance from the beach (front desk provides beach towels). The San Diego freeway is nearby which we found out to be a great thing to drive out to Dana Point and Laguna Beach. Last but not least, the staff at the front desk and restaurant was extremely friendly and helpful.

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cobaye27E
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We had an awesome room which was spotless, LCD TV, Jacuzzi and an ocean view. The staff was incredible. Make sure you check out the resturant

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Just an okay stay - the rooms were very clean, which is our number one criteria.

Holiday Inn website mentions a "complimentary breakfast." When we asked about this they had no idea what we were talking about, but later gave us a coupon for $20 off a breakfast in their breakfast-only restaurant.

Holiday Inn website mentions that kids eat free at Maxims, their breakfast, lunch and dinner restaurant. As mentioned above, it's only open for breakfast. When we mentioned "kids eat free" to someone at the front desk they said that this wasn't their policy. A second staff member later confirmed that kids eat free.

We did book an ocean view room and did get an okay view of the ocean; just realize that you are at least one mile or more from the ocean, so it's not as if their offering ocean-view rooms means that you're a short walk from the beach. The patio in our room was tiny, but it did allow us to sit out there and listen to the night life (drunks crawling on the roof of a building a couple of streets over).

I didn't use the fitness room at all but my wife figured the machines were discount Walmart variety.

We had the server at the restaurant follow us to the front desk to ask us if we had not meant to tip him more. I've never had that happen. Okay, perhaps we were closer to 10% than 15% and in hindsight should have left another buck or so, but his questioning our tip like that showed no class.

Nice looking hotel, okay location, but we just had such an odd experience there that if we ever come back to San Clemente (beautiful town, beautiful beach) we'll look for another hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank calgary_newbie
New York City
Reviewed 21 October 2011

My father, fiancee and me stayed for one night on the way to San Diego at the HOliday Inn San Clemente. I was not familiar with this neighborhood, so I choose this hotel upon the reviews I read on tripadvisor, hotel.com and yelp.
It was a great stay. I was not disappointed. The room felt spacious enough for the three of us and everything including the bathroom were updated and clean.
The staff was extremely friendly at the check in and I didn't hear any other guests. So it was quiet and nice. The free wireless was helpful for our ipad to connect with as well.
Overall it was a great stay. Would come again.

Room Tip: Get a room NOT facing the highway!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family