“Close to our event and satisfactory service”
Review of Sunshine Motel

Sunshine Motel
Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in San Bernardino
Reviewed 5 October 2015

The hotel was right next to a freeway, which was nice. Exterior of the hotel seemed normal but we were surprised with the new interior of our room. We haven't seen any flat screen TVs in hotels of this star rating, but we were glad to find one here. Also refrigerator was convenient. The bathroom seemed to be renovated recently. All in all it was pleasant stay. We got what we paid for.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michael A
Peter J, General Manager at Sunshine Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2016

Dear Michael, I'm glad you liked our rooms and services. We appreciate your business and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This was billed as a three-star motel in a list of motels that come up on priceline. The price was very good, so I took it. When I got there, I found it was in a bad neighborhood (the manager at an adjacent hotel where I finally stayed that night told me not to go outdoors at night!). My bedroom closet at home is larger than the motel reception area. Literally. They couldn't check me in because the manager wasn't there (it took me a while to grasp this because the attendent's accent was so thick I couldn't understand it - I had to ask her to repeat it over and over). She finally connected me to the manager on the phone, and we worked out getting checked in. Then the attendent informed me that I would have to pay cash since the credit card machine was broken down. I didn't have that much cash on me and didn't feel like finding an ATM at that hour (it was 8PM, I had been travelling since 6AM, and I wanted to go to bed), so I finally told them to forget it and went to a place down the street. I never saw the inside of a room. The outside didn't look very promising, so I can only guess at the inside.

Room Tip: The neighboring hotel where I finally stayed (also rather seedy, but better than this one) said for...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Hengest H

Dear Hengest,

Due to unexpected circumstances, our manager was not available at the time you arrived. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please give us another opportunity to better serve you.

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I recently stayedat this motel for a night during my businesstrip in downtown san Bernardino. The rates were cheap compare to other motels in town so I wasnt expecting Hilton type of rooms. It has everything I needed to have good sleep. My room was clean and I didn't have any problem with ac/heater or toilet/shower. Tv has cable channels and in room phones helped me call out locally. Overall good experience.I would definitely stay here for my short business trips.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear dhrupad84,
Thank you for taking time to write this review. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

If this is a 3 star motel as it is purported, then the star system has no value or meaning. It is a seedy motel in a seedy location. The management and staff were surly and never welcomed or smiled once. The person manning the office at check-out was sleeping and finally emerged from the back to take my key at 8:30 am.

The room was dingy with stains on everything including the sheets. I slept on top of the bed not within the bedding. Huge dead fly on the table greeted me.

How this motel received a 3 star rating( that I relied on) is a mystery to me; something is amiss.

Room Tip: All rooms in this "L" shaped configuration appeared identical from the outside. By-the-way...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank michael j

Dear Michael,
Thank you for your time to express your concerns. I apologize that you didn't receive less than excellent service at our hotel. Please give us another chance to demonstrate our hotel abilities.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

We chose the Sunshine Motel because on Priceline, it had a better guest satisfaction rate than other similar properties in the area. (We were driving while making reservations and didn't read the other Trip Advisor review here). We hope our experience was only a fluke because we realize everybody makes mistakes or has bad days, but based on our experience alone – DANGER, Will Robinson! Flee this place. We arrived after midnight – check-in was courteous, and we elderly people trucked our stuff upstairs to the room. We soon noticed that a dismounted/broken ceiling ventilation fan was sitting on the back of the toilet, with loose parts that and sharp metal edges which made us reluctant to move it. The hole in the ceiling was disconcerting, but we figured we could cope for a night. A bit later when we flushed the toilet, it made loud siren-like sound for 45 seconds. Okay, we figured, we just won’t flush the toilet during the night. As we got ready to crawl into bed, we realize that the control for the heating/AC wall unit was so high up that even my six-foot husband could not reach it. There were no chairs in the room safe for standing on so we were pretty much stuck with whatever came out.
While there was a small microwave and refrigerator, there was no coffee pot; our room was supplied with only one very thin plastic disposable glass, and ice was an extra cost. Paint job was horrible and bathroom seat incredibly oddly painted in different layers; toilet was so stained that it looked filthy. Management refused to even provide us with paper cups to make our own instant coffee in the microwave, and we felt that even if we dug through our loaded car to the picnic basket to get out our own glasses, they would be too tall to fit. Management said they hadn’t advertised coffee or breakfast, so we should not have expected a coffee maker. Okay. But after we expressed our serious discontent over the toilet noise, the unsafe AC/heating unit which my husband believed to be a code violation, and the disconcerting broken fan left in the bathroom, we were told that they had already known about the fan [and maybe the toilet sound] and that it was our fault for not coming down the night before to ask for a different room for these problems we noticed over time, not right away on check-in. There was never an apology, and we were just told that other motels in the neighborhood only provided the thin plastic, non-microwavable glasses, too. There was no price adjustment. We were told we should have called the desk to come adjust our heat/AC. What were we supposed to do, call them if the room got too warm, then too hot, all night long? The general condition of the property was so run down that we never imagined there might be any better rooms.

We regularly stay at one-star motels and are quite content with slightly shabby or gaudy or old furniture for just a few hours of sleep; our expectations were not at all unrealistic. For the $60 we paid, we have stayed at MUCH nicer motels with breakfast, pool, etc., where the management went out of their way to be accommodating. The neighborhood was also a worrisome place to park overnight. We got through the experience by reminding ourselves that we were better off than the people stuck on the broken cruise ship for days without food or A/C or working toilets.
On the positive, the wifi worked well, and the bed was not bad. The bedspread and curtains matched each other, but not the rose trim wall paper, and the bedspread had some very worn spots. The outer doors were painted nicely [on the inside it looked almost vandalized], and the cleaning staff was very pleasant to me the next morning. If we had paid only $30 but gotten the decent bed we did, we’d have figured we’d gotten our money’s worth and could cope with the scarier, noisier aspects. We hope the owners are able to fix these problems and begin to receive better reviews, but as things were in February 2013, we would say, “Danger, Will Robinson!” and urge others to avoid this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kathleen J

Dear Ispeak4u,
Thank you for taking time to review our property. We considered your review as an opportunity to improve our rooms and services. We have done renovations across the whole property to better suit our guests. Please give us another opportunity to better serve your needs.