All reviewsplantation shutterscontinental breakfastyogurtacross the streethomeless peopleroom was largeclose to downtowngas stationold townfree shuttleeasy accesswaffle makerstay there againparking lotmini fridgemake your own wafflesking bed
Reviewed 15 February 2018

Governor's is a great bargain. We've stayed there over ten times, sent family to stay there, and most of the rooms have decent, basic beds; pillows and sheets are just so so, but a far superior sleep than most other local motels/inns in same price point.
The rooms are very clean, definitely old, but they have newer carpet and plantation shutters, good chairs, decent desk, and free wifi, though somewhat slow.
The heat and a\c are a little noisy, but works well - quickly cold, even in summer. They have some basic food delivery handy, with room menu.
The showers are very small, but are all walk-in, with clean glass doors.
Vending and ice machines are clean and easily available, and parking is Free, safe, lit, and ample.
Would recommend an upper floor -- quieter -- much freeway traffic/shares parking lot with McDonald's. This part of Sac is definitely urban and not upscale. That said, if needing a downtown budget location - Gov's is far, far, far safer than most. If travelling alone, choose here, ladies!
Hallway guest/maid traffic is very easily (as in every sound and word) heard passing by your door, and I'd recommend placing the Don't Disturb placard on door asap, as there are No inside door chains or bar locks, only key card. We have had maid open door, no knock, TWICE, at 9am & 3pm, when we forgot to put up the sign. Oops!
Small conference\classrooms are great. Lobby has big cage of live birds. Cute!
SUPERLATIVE Staff -- highly helpful; Bessie is a doll (everyone's favorite I've heard!) running breakfast and Yvette, front desk, knowledgeable and very friendly. We have stayed at the Quality\Vagabond\Motel 8\GoodNite right there -- Governor's is BY FAR the cleaner, safer, more friendly and accommodating choice. Nothing in the under $150\night compares. You even have decent hot coffee and pancakes in the a.m.! Gov's is our little hidden gem, when we need a budget stay downtown for King's, Old Town, college visit, etc.

Room Tip: Upper floor is quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sirensandscribes
Reviewed 1 February 2018

I'm glad I stumbled on the Governors Inn during the Unified Wine & Grape Symposium last year. First class staff. Very friendly and helpful. The shuttle to the Convention Center is a HUGE plus. Great value and convenience.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Andy M
Reviewed 11 January 2018

Pro:
The pros were that the hotel was close to where I needed to get to for business and was relatively clean, etc.

Con:
The con (one big one) was that their customer service and management team were terrible. Evidenced by the fact that - due to circumstances - I needed to check out early after one night of a three night stay. I called early in the morning (before lunch) after the first night and told them that I needed to check out between the first and second nights. I specifically asked if I needed to come at lunch time and do the checkout, or if they would let me checkout after work (4pm) and still avoid paying for the second night. The person I spoke with went and checked on this with someone and then came back and told me it was OK to checkout after work and I would not have to pay for the second night. I said great and thanks for the great customer service.
However, when I showed up at 4pm on the dot, they wanted me to pay for the second night. I asked for the person I spoke with before lunch and they said, "she's already left". Then I raised a big stink and they relented by giving me half off the second night. Still not good enough in my book. The management was on site and this was all ran through them and half-off a night I didn't even stay was the best they would do. I told them I was going to write up a bad review and this is my fulfillment of that promise!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank Kent D
Reviewed 8 January 2018

We have stayed at the Governors Inn Hotel many times. It continues to be a
good hotel to rest after traveling from Southern California. The people at the
front desk were very welcoming. It did not take long to check in. We had a room with plenty of room for our things. In the morning, we had a nice breakfast. The person
taking care of the breakfast was very helpful and pleasant. Until next time....

Room Tip: We always prefer the top floor.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary Ellen Y
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Staff were friendly, although I was a little surprised at it being listed as a downtown property since it really a freeway hotel. Nicer than a Super 8, but definitely the bottom of the 3-Star range. If you can find it for $85-100 it’s a fine place to sleep for the night. Although decor outside rooms looks like 1990-1995, the room interiors was just fine and they looked like they were updated in last 5 years. Shampoo-Bathroom quality was more like Super 8, but that’s minor quibbles for $85 plus tax. Decent cheap lodging but next time I’ll likely spend an extra $20 to do Holiday Inn Express or similar. That said bed was fine and it was quiet.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo