“needs more than lipstick” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Sacramento Arden West

Hilton Sacramento Arden West
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Sacramento
Los Angeles, California
“needs more than lipstick”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Over the weekend, I stayed at the Hilton-Arden West for a couple nites . I've stayed there on previous occasions. This is an older Hilton that they try to keep up to date, but it's going to need more than just lipstick pretty soon. The staff is friendly enough and the rooms are fairly basic and can be noisy. Beds are Hilton comfortable, big lcd tv is nice & wifi works well. Furniture is showing it's age as is carpeting. no refrig or micro.

Since the hotel is getting old, they book lots and lots of sport teams in the rooms for a discount rate. Needless to say the noise level is raised considerably and wear and tear is evident. Also staff isn't able to keep track as to who is having a loud party right above or next to you. When brought to their attention they basicly just apologize and smile. Breakfast is an additional charge and is tasty.
The elevators take for-ev-er, so give yourself plenty of time if your in a hurry. And the ice/vending room was locked all weekend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Reno, NV
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed here for three nights at the end of February 2012. Hilton has an odd service which allows you to pay $9/night for access to a concierge floor giving you a continental breakfast and evening reception. Only problem is that you don't know if you have access to the perk until you check in. Despite trying to sign-up for the added service, I didn't make the cut. It's a weird policy that they need to address, with today's technology there is no way the Hilton can't alert its customers whether they will be allowed access to the breakfast. Really bothersome to show up at check-in and receive the bad news I would not be part of the breakfast/evening group.

As many reviewers note, the hotel walls are very thin here. I could hear conversations next door during my stay and walking the halls I could hear televisions clearly. The gym was totally out of towels when I arrived at 9:00 a.m. one morning for a workout. I called the front desk and they restocked within my workout.

They also dinged me for a bottled water which I never drank. To their credit, the front desk took off the charge without any negotiation. The elevators near the front of the hotel are painfully slow, I took the stairs after waiting twice for the geriatric elevators.

I will admit that the beds were great, housekeeping did an excellent job and the restaurant on site has a nice breakfast buffet, albeit at a confiscatory price.

All in all, I was disappointed with the hotel. The location is great but the property itself lacked in areas.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Staff is very friendly, and seem to want to accommodate any request. Rooms are large an well furnished.
On the other hand, walls are paper thin, therefore if you have a neighbor that likes to talk on the phone, you are out of luck. All the corridor noises are herd in the room. Be aware of these issues if you like to stay here. Location is good, close to shopping an not too far from downtown and hospitals
Will return

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Alex O
Howard H, General Manager at Hilton Sacramento Arden West, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear: Alex O,

Thank you for the nice comments about our hotel rooms and friendly staff. I will make sure to pass on your comments to our team as they work very hard to make sure our guests are well taken care of with the highest level of care and service.

I am sorry to hear that there may have been some noise from the hallway and adjoining room. As you can imagine at times guests in other rooms are not considerate of others. While staying at any hotel please always feel free to let management know and they will take care of the noise problem. Our hotel walls are made out of cement, so we normally don't have too many comments about noise, but please accept my appology for this happening while you were our guest.

I hope to have the chance to serve you again when your travels bring you back to Sacramento.

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

In spite of other reviews, I found my stay at the Hilton Arden West to be pleasant. Check-in and check-out was friendly and efficient. My room was nice - comfortable bed and great shower. There is a small exercise room that is sufficient. The food in the restaurant was fine, but the service at breakfast was horrible. I had to ask multiple times for refills of water and coffee, and felt like I was imposing upon the server. I was at the hotel for a conference, and the food and service in the conference facility was excellent. Overall, it was not among the best Hilton hotels at which I have stayed, but I would recommend it if you need to be in that side of Sacramento and you find a good rate.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Howard H, General Manager at Hilton Sacramento Arden West, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear MikeMoAtl,

Thank you for the great feedback about the service you received and for recommending our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were well taken care of by our staff. We do receive many great comments about the comfort of our beds and some guests even go to the hiltontohome.com website and purchase them after staying here.

Thanks again, we look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to Sacramento!

Scotts Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

I've spent thirteen nights at this hotel during late November 2011 and December 2011. Overall, this hotel is the best option in the area that I've found.

As a Hilton Gold member, I received upgrades on two of my stays to the executive floors (11 and 12) and stayed on a standard floor (8) during the other stay. The rooms are more or less the same between floors, although some have more recent bathrooms then others. I prefer the side of the building facing Highway 80, as it has a more pleasant view. You can hear the freeway a bit, however it didn't bother me.

The rooms are standard. They all had flat screen televisions with a basic workstation desk. As a Hilton Gold member I received free internet, however it was very slow. The executive floor rooms added bathrobes and a cordless phone, from what I could tell. None of the rooms had a safe, which I would consider almost standard these days in a business hotel.

All of the rooms had a single-cup coffee maker, which was actually clean (one of my common hotel complaints). The room on the twelfth floor had a giant bathroom, tub with jets, and a small balcony looking over a junk yard. The lights from the top of the building are very bright on this floor and you have to keep the blinds drawn at night if you don't want a tan, which I didn’t care for as I prefer to wake up with a little light in the room.

The executive lounge had a basic continental breakfast with coffee, pastries, bagels, fresh fruit, fruit juices, hard boiled eggs, cheese, cold cuts, and hot oatmeal. It became a little routine after a few mornings and I had breakfast in the restaurant (they let me upgrade for a few dollars). The restaurant has a similar buffet, but there are eggs, french toast, bacon, sausage, etc. At night the lounge had hot hors d'oeuvres, a very nice cheese platter, vegetables, and some type of dessert, usually cookies and small cake bites. The staff at the restaurant and the lounge were outstanding!

The hotel is by no means a top of the line Hilton. While the rooms are fairly new, it’s only by appearance. The heating system seemed old and my rooms had trouble maintaining a stable temperature and the hallways were freezing. The walls are very thin and you can hear your neighbors conversations, but the hotel is clean and the beds are outstanding! All three stays were very pleasant and I would return if I came back to Sacramento.

Room Tip: I prefer the 11th floor on the Highway 80 side of the building. Ask for a room that's not under...