All reviewsthe holiday innold sacramentogreat locationwalking distancehotel restaurantvalet parkingtrain museumfront desk staffthe riverone night stayroom was clean and comfortableair conditionercapitol buildingconvention centerfreewaydowntownconference
Reviewed 10 November 2015 via mobile

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and quiet. Old Sacramento is just a short walk away and had many restaurants and shops. It is a great location. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Lizjqh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento Downtown - Arena, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2015

Thank you for the review. I appreciate hearing that you enjoyed your stay and our location being close to Old Sacramento. I hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 9 November 2015

I stayed here recently for a 4 day business trip and wasn't entirely displeased, but there were several things that could have been better about the hotel. First, the good things were that it was mostly clean, staff was friendly, the room was comfortable although somewhat dated and the location is conveniently located between the Amtrack Station and the Old Sacramento area. I say "mostly clean" because things were acceptable and I have certainly experienced much worse, but for a large chain hotel in a large city it seemed a little odd to find a bunch of long hairs all over the bathroom like it wasn't even wiped down when cleaned. Still, nothing was disgusting and I don't want to overstate things unfairly, just was a bit surprising. The staff was very friendly and pretty much everyone you encountered smiled and greeted you so that was nice and the location is pretty good as well if you travel on Amtrack, have business downtown or want to see Old Sacramento area or the Railroad museum. They are also building the new NBA arena just a few blocks away so when that is done this property should become much hotter and warrant a nice upgrade.

So now some of the not so awesome stuff. The location is convenient, but also has many of the rooms looking out over I-5. That makes it easy to find if you are driving, but that highway quite literally roars pretty much all night long with trucks, rush hour traffic and emergency vehicles blaring sirens. I ran the fan at night on the AC (which was thankfully also quite loud) so it wouldn't bother me as much and I also ran a sleep app as well to help cover the sound. It was still a little distracting though and more than once I woke up wondering if I had nodded off at a NASCAR event or under an overpass somewhere so if you are a light sleeper make certain you get something facing away from I-5 which is Northwest of the hotel. If and when this hotel upgrades they should really invest in the best soundproof windows money can buy for that side because it is the single most negative thing about the entire hotel.

The only other thing worthy of comment then is the rooms and hotel in general could stand a general upgrade. I have to think one is coming soon anyway with the new arena going in and the nearby mall being renovated, but at the moment it is simply dated and out of step with what you expect to find at a major chain in a major city. There is no microwave or refrigerator in the room which has become somewhat standard in many hotels although I did see a few dorm sized refrigerators outside some rooms so I imagine you could request one if needed. Bed was comfortable but carpet was dated and a little worn. The bathroom tile looked worn out and was missing grout while the wallpaper was bubbling and peeling in spots. The water pressure was almost unbearably bad although that probably is just a reality in every California hotel these days due to the horrible drought conditions so there may just be nothing they can do about that. Wi-Fi was utterly dreadful and I was not able to connect with my laptop at all meaning working from there was almost impossible. Couldn't connect at all for the first 2 days then when I finally could it intermittently disappeared only to magically reappear (sometimes) in 30 minutes or an hour if you were lucky. When it did work it was basically only adequate for checking email. Limited plug-ins near the beds to the point that I had to unplug the alarm clock just to recharge my phone while I slept. There is a desk with a lamp that has several plug-ins, but since you can't connect to wi-fi most of the time that is all pretty much useless.

So overall I didn't think it fair to give this place a 3, but it wasn't really a 4 either and since I was there for business and kept running into barriers to actually doing business maybe it should get a 3.

I feel reasonably certain an upgrade has to be coming in the not too distant future to this hotel with all the things happening in downtown Sacramento like the new arena, mall renovation, etc, but in the meantime just be aware this is basically a 1990's hotel in a 21st century skin. If the price is not a bargain then compared to other similar hotels in the immediate area and you just don't care about things like Wi-Fi access then keep looking.

If you do stay here though make sure you ask for a room facing AWAY from I-5 unless you enjoy the sound of revving cars, trucks applying jake-brakes and emergency sirens all night long. If you need a refrigerator for any reason ask ahead of time.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the freeway are ideal. Freeway is unbelievably loud and windows are apparently incredibly thin.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Lizjqh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento Downtown - Arena, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2015

Thank you for the time you took to write your review. I always appreciate hearing how the guest stay was. I apologize that you had difficulty with sleep and we do hope to improve the sound level during our upcoming renovation. Your review will be shared with the team and used to ensure we correct areas of opportunity. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 9 November 2015 via mobile

I was on my way home from visiting LA for a week an decided to rent two rooms for myself and friends so they could see old Sacramento. This was just a one night stay. During checkin, I asked Roman, the front desk clerk about their suites for the future. His response was very condescending, saying: "We usually only rent suites to groups and usually it's the head person who would reserve it." Obviously if I'm renting two rooms that means I have a group and second, I am the head person reserving and paying!! His coworker then turned to him saying that a guest was asking about a room preference. Roman turned to his coworker and laughed saying: "Preferences? Haha we aren't honoring any preferences. Too bad!" He acted as if guests were a nuisance and the hotel was doing guests a favor by renting rooms! Very unprofessional and immature like a fat feminine bully. Lastly, the room was a big disappointment being smaller than expected and not having a mini fridge like all the other hotels and motels I've stayed at. Last time I stayed at the Embassy Suites a block away and I wish I did this time! So sad to see Holiday Inn now having a McDonald's employee attitude. Never again.

Stayed: November 2015

Thank you for the review. I appreciate hearing the response you received when checking in with Roman. I apologize for the off handed way he responded. He can certainly respond in a much more positive way and he will in the future. Please contact me directly if you would consider returning as I would appreciate an opportunity to make it up to you. I hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 8 November 2015

Whether you like dated modernist architecture or profoundly deaf, there is something in this hotel for you. To be fair, it is reasonably clean, the staff are genuinely helpful and thoughtful, and do their best. The breakfast is average and the downstairs layout while dated is quaint.

The Holiday Inn Capitol Plaza is convenient to Interstate 5, as the constant noise from its users will remind you of at all times of day and night through the single glazed window of the room (which you can conveniently open an inch or so if you can't quite tell the engine size of the vehicle passing by.

If it gets hot (which it does for much of the year in Sacramento), you can switch on the air conditioning unit onto "Low cool" and enjoy the 1970s air conditioning unit's compression pump drown out much of the traffic noise. The noise, which resembles a dated internal combustion engine, doesn't have much of a thermostat (you guess what "low cool" and "high cool" is) and may remind you of motels from the era. Naturally, you'll have brought your earplugs anyway, won't you?

If you like a crosshatched pattern on your clothes after you iron them, then you're in luck because the ironing board has a cover that barely cover the frame.

The mattress was clearly at the end of its life, but if you like very soft springy beds you're in luck. The wifi worked reasonably, the bathroom was reasonable, gym was reasonable ok with a good number of treadmills (although who knows how you turn down the volume when you arrive and the last user needed a cacophony from ESPN news to keep motivated). Breakfast in the cafe downstairs was ok, the usual mid-range hotel range of oatmeal, fruit, sliced scrambled egg and mediocre bread, but with great coffee, good service and an omelette station.

The hotel is walking distance to the Amtrak station and Starbucks nearby if you're so inclined, but that's about it while the Century Downtown Plaza is completely empty except for Macys. So don't think you're near a lot of shops or eating establishments, because you're not (although it is a quick walk to Old Sacramento which is worth a visit).

In short, unless you plan on getting seriously drunk at night, or find significant amounts of noise no hindrance to sound sleep, this isn't the place for you. Despite well meaning and helpful staff, this is a aged tired hotel that needs double glazing and a modern ducted air conditioning system to even start to be suitable for sleeping. Even given that, nothing will fix its proximity to the highway and until the Downtown Plaza is reopened, you're not near much at all.

Stay elsewhere if you want to get some sleep.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business

Thank you for the review. I appreciate the time you took. I will share your review with the team and ownership to improve in the areas you detailed. I apologize that your stay was not up to the standard you expected. Although, the Plaza stores are closed we do have the theaters, Macys, and of course Old Sacramento with many shops, restaurants, and clubs to visit. I do hope we have another opportunity to be of service to you.

Reviewed 3 November 2015

This hotel was the highlight of our vacation. Not only is it with in walking distance of Old Sacramento, the staff is amazingly accommodating. Upon arrival we were greeted by Vincent. He was genuinely nice, and was more than happy to help us. We were visiting from Montana and wouldn't have been able to find our way around without his recommendations and directions. Another amazing quality the hotel has is its room service. Juan brought us our food late and went above and beyond. Both men were wonderful and knew exactly how to treat us as special guests. We were definitely impressed.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Lizjqh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento Downtown - Arena, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2015

Thank you for the review. It is nice to hear you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you back again.