“A Very Interesting Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Downtown Historical Tour
Ranked #1 of 16 Food & Drink in Sacramento
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Local Roots Food Tours offers food and farm adventures throughout Sacramento and its beautiful valley region. We offer 3 different walking food and cultural tours in Sacramento. Going beyond the big city - our other walking food tour can be found in picturesque Murphys,CA. Murphys Food & Wine Tour explores the Queen of the Sierra - a wonderful mining town with 8 delicious stops including food and wine. Ranked #1 Tour in Sacramento by Trip Advisor. Each tour offers a large variety of tastings (10+), while visiting 6-10 different specialty food shops, artisans, and neighborhood restaurants. All of our tours are offered year-round, last between 3.5 to 4 hours and range between $42 - $70, depending on the tour. The tours focus on F.L.O.S.S. (fresh, local, organic, seasonal, and sustainable) foods and beverages. Enough food is served on each tour that most guests consider it a meal. Savor, learn, explore and connect to some amazing communities and their culinary dishes.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Annville, Pennsylvania
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A Very Interesting Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

We were visiting the Napa Valley area, and decided to spend a day in Sacramento as well. This is the first food tour that both my husband and I were ever on. Once the tour started, we had an enjoyable experience. We went to six different places, all with different atmospheres and different styles of food. Our favorite was the Grange Restaurant, which was the first stop. We were served pork BBQ sliders and fries, and a small glass of wine. That was followed by 524 Mexican Restaurant with some shrimp, Mexican rice, and stewed cactus (actually very good). We then went to the Sugar and Spice bakery and had our choice of cupcake (we got the peach - delicious!). We then went to a place called The Shine where the owner made organic smoothies. The smoothie we tried was an experiment - not even on the menu. It tasted like orange swirl ice cream, and was very good (although we both agreed that it was our least favorite of all of the stops.) We then went to Sampino's Towne Foods deli, where we were served soup, a sandwich, and gelatto. At our last stop (I forget the name of the place), we were served lemon squares. While you only get a little sampling at each of the restaurants, you are definitely full by the end of the tour. We enjoyed all of the food and the experience of walking around to the different restaurants. Between each restaurant, our tour guide explained part of the history of Sacramento. We saw some very interesting houses along the way. The only part of our experience that we have to complain about (but not really) was meeting our tour guide. We were supposed to meet her at a fountain in Plaza Park (J and 10th streets). (By the way, we parked in a nearby parking garage around 8th street, between I and J streets. You will have to find your own parking for this tour.) We were just about right on time (in fact we thought we would be late, so we were practically running to get there). Nobody was at the fountain waiting when we got there, which made us second guess if we had the right location. One other person showed up in the meantime. After waiting about 10 minutes, my husband called the phone number given as a contact number for the tour. The person who answered said we were definitely at the right spot, and that our tour guide must be running late. When our tour guide did arrive, she did not have a sign or anything to make it obvious that she was part of the tour. For touristy people like me, I like to be reassured that I am in the right spot and that we are on a reputable tour. I was leery at first, but once the tour got started, it was clear that it was legitimate, and was well-planned and well-executed . Some other things to know: There is lots of walking involved, so if you are someone who has trouble getting around, this may not be a good tour for you. I honestly do not remember if steps were involved, or if the entire tour is wheelchair friendly. When we went in August, they were actually having unseasonably low temperatures (in the high 80s). We were quite comfortable, but I can imagine that it would have been oppressive if it was the usual 100s, especially towards the end of the tour when you are full and it is getting hotter. After this tour, we walked to the capitol building to look around, since it was very near the last restaurant. Doing this tour and touring the capitol building took most of the morning/afternoon. We were very happy with our attraction choices when we visited Sacramento.

Visited August 2011
LocalRootsFoodTours, Owner at Local Roots Food Tours, responded to this review, 13 January 2012
Thank you for coming on our City of Trees Food Tour and enjoying your experience. Since you went on our food tour in August 2011 we have developed a new meeting location and easier way to spot our tour guides. Thank you for your input.

Phoenix, AZ
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awesome Tour....A Must Do When Visiting Sacramento”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

My girlfriend and I went on the City of Trees Food Tour just before the Thanksgiving holiday and I must say that this was the BEST Food Tour I have been on. Lisa was a great tour guide and her tour was the most organized, mapped out tour I have been on. The food that we experienced was TOP NOTCH and the presentations by the Chefs at a couple of the stops was exactly what you'd expect from a Food Tour. Kudos to Lisa for getting the Chefs to talk to us and explain the food in such detail. This is what made this Food Tour a Culinary Experience where other were just food tours where we ate and had little interaction with the Chefs.

If you are in to the history of the city of Sacramento then you will find out enough about Downtown Sacramento to be dangerous. I'm not a huge history person and thought it might be kind of boring, but Lisa showed us some really COOL history and took us through some quaint neighborhoods.I mean how else would you ever find out that one of the mansions in downtown was moved 3 different times.

All in all, I would say this tour is an A+ and I am VERY picky when it comes to food tours. You could say I am a Food Snob. I wish I would have been in town longer so I could have gone on one of the other Tours offered by Local Roots. I 1000% recommend this tour to anyone at any age. My girlfriend and I are in our mid-30's and loved it. Give this Tour a try and I promise you will not be disappointed.

Visited November 2011
Love hearing your enthusiasm after you participated in one of our food tours. We love hearing the words "Awesome" and "Must Do" in reviews!! Hope to see you on another food tour when you come back to Sacramento!
Sacramento, California
“A must for foodies and history fanatics”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

I am wowed by the quality of this tour. Bethany is a fantastic guide - fun and knowledgeable. This is one of the best food tours I have been on. we got to eat wonderful, flavorful food and visited unique places that are full of characters.

Visited December 2011
Thanks for leaving your wonderful review. We hope to see you on another one of our food tours soon!
San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A wonderful glimpse into local restaurants and history and a great time all around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

The tour was well thought out and organized. Bethany (our tour guide) was very enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and fun. Everyone in the group had a great time. The food was pretty good as well.

1 Thank unnamed_1
Carmichael
“Wonderful tour with fabulous food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

I would highly recommend this tour of the history of Sacramento along with our 6 stops for great food. It's a good thing walking was included as what I thought would be tastes of food wound up to be a lot more!