See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

My Church had their annual Ladies Prayer Breakfast here and it was amazing. The set up, layout, and professionalism shown by our host was superb.

I can see why peeople choose to get married here. It's beautiful!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed 17 March 2016 via mobile

This is a great way to break up a trip to what can seem a relentlessly modern and ever-changing city. It's a small mansion, easily toured in an hour. Allow an hour for the gardens and a quick coffee in the nice cafe. Viscaya is particularly interesting because, while it is full of beautiful furniture, there's not much that's really first rate or museum quality. The interest lies in seeing the life the rich lived in this period, with modern conveniences arriving. He pantries and kitchen are as interesting as anything else in the house.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2015

We stayed in room 4 (second floor) at the Viscaya Mansion and enjoyed a unique room, with the bathroom being huge and the bedroom being very tiny, relative to each other. We enjoy the anomalies of old houses made "modern."

Wifi was free and the flat screen TV worked fine. Our view was to another old house, where many of the windows were boarded up. The Viscaya is in much better shape.

Like others have said, the A/C control was in the hall and we kept it about the same as at home (close to 80F) --- same setting as when we arrived --- but the room was freezing (on a hot day) so we had to use all the covers. Even in the morning, the bathroom was freezing. Almost like winter, in mid-June heat outside. Guess the A/C is tempermental.

Furniture was a little beat up (scratches and digs) but the bed/pillows/linens/duvet were very comfortable. Nice stain glass windows in the bath and the claw-foot tub. We toured other rooms on the second floor (doors were open, so we peeked) and some rooms are huge, with little baths. Lots of variation.

The grounds had old-world charm. Not fancy, but well-established plants with plenty of color. The place focuses on weddings, as was evident by the bricked outdoor space and the pavilion AND by activities when we were there. People were on site checking out wedding facilities and being toured around.

We were greeted by an employee at the front door at 3:30pm, shortly after check-in time, who gave us our keys (room and front door) and told us that "breakfast time" was until 10am and told us we would have to let ourselves in after 10pm, returning from the ballgame, as nobody would be there. Getting back in was smooth.

We had a comfortable (if chilly) sleep and went downstairs for breakfast at 9:30am. No food. No employees. Looked though the drawers in the parlor. Was about to check the refrigerator in the Employee Only kitchen when people came in. Nobody expected us. Front desk had not told them we were there. One employee said breakfast stopped at 9am, as two of them scurried to find us food. Not what the front desk lady told us.

They finally offered juice, coffee/tea, yogurt, cereal, breads, apples. Even the Orbitz site says "hot breakfast cooked to order." Since "breakfast" was one of the main reasons we booked the place, it was a disappointment. If not for the advertised "free breakfast," we would have stayed nearby one of the excellent foodie places in another area of Sacramento.

We took this experience in good humor but they probably should not be advertising themselves as a B&B with *free breakfast* if they can't come up with food and, while we were waiting for "anything," they were greeting several ladies in the next room to plan a wedding. We were invisible

As a Sacramento native and historian, I appreciate efforts like this, to preserve an historic home built 116 years ago (and to enhance its use) but they need to give a little more attention to people paying good money to stay overnight, in addition to their wedding business.

Having stayed in a dozen or so B&B's over the years, there is much room for improvement by Viscaya, as a B&B. Other than that --- we liked our room, the outdoors and the neighborhood. Very peaceful. Overpriced for what was advertised and not delivered however.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarlySF
Reviewed 9 May 2015

I think they primarily cater to wedding clientele but I stayed here there nights for a recent trip. Arrived late in the evening called the number at door and the inn keeper promptly opened the door, checked me in and showed me to my room. This is an old mansion from late 1800s that has been redone as a b/b. My room was second floor large, and on the front of the house. Two queen beds only needed one. Shower with en suite. Room was clean bed was very comfortable. Only issues with room, Light on ceiling fan would not turn off so no fan at night as had to turn all off. Also they have google tv and cable, to get to work was a real pain but once on fine. AC controls outside door but room temp was fine. Breakfast is simple continental but worked fine also. Neighborhood is a redevloped area, plenty of people biking and running. Overall good stay. For cots of room I would not stay again but as a business trip was fine.

Room Tip: no elevators so be prepared to take your bag up and down stairs
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2015

I used to go to Sacramento on a monthly basis for work, and I discovered Vizcaya. Instead of staying in a cheap hotel, I was able to stay in an elegant old mansion for the same price, with a cozy breakfast included in the morning. I would arrive in the evening and they would keep the light on, literally! Every month I called to schedule and they would remember me and what my needs were. As a woman traveling alone, I loved the feeling that I might literally be missed if I didn't arrive "home" that night.

Room Tip: There are rooms inside the mansion, and there is a carriage house with an upper and lower room. If you want more quiet and less steps, choose the carriage house.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business