See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 March 2015

I used to go to Sacramento on a monthly basis for work, and I discovered Vizcaya. Instead of staying in a cheap hotel, I was able to stay in an elegant old mansion for the same price, with a cozy breakfast included in the morning. I would arrive in the evening and they would keep the light on, literally! Every month I called to schedule and they would remember me and what my needs were. As a woman traveling alone, I loved the feeling that I might literally be missed if I didn't arrive "home" that night.

Room Tip: There are rooms inside the mansion, and there is a carriage house with an upper and lower room. If you want more quiet and less steps, choose the carriage house.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Elizabeth H
Reviewed 3 December 2014

I came to this bed and breakfast to stay one night for business. My first impression was that it was beautiful. After I checked in I was advised the thermostat was to my left and wished a good stay. First thing I noticed as I got into bed was a lot of hair entwined into the blanket. Gross! I hate complaining so I decided to only use the sheet. This backfired when I woke up in the middle of the night freezing. I tried calling the front desk to get further details on how to turn on the heat but no one answered. I was forced to cocoon myself into the hair blanket, ugh. This was a terrible experience. I advised the staff as I checked out and their only response was if I called after a certain time I should've called the inn keeper since no one was at the front desk. As if I was supposed to know this. I wouldn't stay here again. But I will reiterate that the grounds really are quite lovely, but would have preferred to sleep somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ashley C
Reviewed 28 December 2013

When we got to the Vizcaya bed and breakfast we couldn't find where to check in. When we finally got to our room it was freezing. They told us the thermostat in the hallway controlled the heat in the rooms? What? The carpets were old and dirty. They were working on the room above us and there pounding and smells of paint in our room. The paint was chipping on the walls. We were really disappointed. When we woke up our room was like 85 degrees because someone had turned up the heat during the night. There was limited hot water and the breakfast was what you will get at a Holiday Inn. Also, there is a eerie feeling of spirits in this hotel. It looks beautiful to have a wedding here however, I would not advise anyone to stay here. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bliss Z
Reviewed 24 December 2013

My parents have stayed here twice while visiting from out of town. Both times, they were extremely happy - enough that they wen't back the second time! Staff is accommodating, friendly, and extremely helpful. Rooms are recently remodeled and comfortable. The hotel is in a great location central to Midtown, East Sac, and close to all the freeways. A great option for visiting Sacramento.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I recently stayed at Vizcaya for a relative's wedding. I read the reviews others had left and decided to keep an open mind as it was easier for me to stay at Vizcaya than get a room at a hotel where I'd have to get a taxi or car service to and from the wedding.

I should have got the hotel room.

Vizcaya was clean and had lots of towels in the bathroom. Yes, the pink carpet could be replaced, but it wasn't bad. Until that night when it got a little chilly as I had a room with two windows. There was no way to adjust the temperature in the room and the heater in the bathroom did not work. They do run out of hot water if you don't take your bath/shower early.

The staff does leave for the night, but don't worry, if you have a problem you can call the listed number and someone will come back.

The people in earlier reviews who said they had a choice of two different types of quiche were lucky. When Vizcaya says continental breakfast on their website, they mean the bare bones of a continental breakfast. You have more variety at a Days Inn than at Vizcaya.

The cushions on the chairs for guests to sit in at the wedding ceremony were stained, which, for a place that is a wedding venue is rather disappointing. Which was alright, because I was already disappointed.

Vizcaya is no bed and breakfast. Do yourself a favor and stay at a hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo