“Old and pretty”
Review of Vizcaya

Vizcaya
Ranked #46 of 83 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Nice Victorian B&B in Sacramento. Nice garden and rooms. They mainly do weddings here. Very Beautiful garden and setting. We stayed in one of the rooms upstairs. The jacuzzi didn't work and the cook did not show up to make us breakfast the next morning. We were on our own. Needs some upgrades for this price!

Room Tip: They do have AC but is combined with other rooms -- so may not get as cold as you want.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzi L

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed in the Carriage House. I did have some problem checking in as I arrived at 6:05 pm and the main house was locked up. I had not made prior arrangements as I thought I would be there in time. There were not any instructions in the reservations what to do and the phone went directly to voice mail. Finally, I walked the property (not that large) and found a staff member setting up the event room, She was very apologetic and helpful getting me settled. I would recommend some instructions in the reservation or on the front door for those guests who inadvertently arrive after 6:00. The room was very nice, quaint and cozy and I appreciated that it was not a standard hotel. However, there were some minor maintenance issues that should be addressed. If I was paying a lot more, I would have been upset but for the price, I was fine. The bed was great with lots of fluffy pillows. There was a fireplace in the room but it was too early in the season to use it. I did use the soaking tub and loved it! The only other complaint I had was the breakfast. I was served reheated quiche and frozen nut bread. Neither was very good and I felt, while the staff was pleasant, the food was not. They need to rethink this menu choice. Overall, I would consider staying here again when visiting Sacramento.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LuckDraw
Reviewed 17 August 2012

The grounds are quite pretty and the Lobby is recently rennovated and portends for improvements throughout the B&B. Breakfast was a fritatta which was lovely, including Starbucks coffee. Our room - on the top floor, was tired, but had two double beds. The carpets are the worst, and I hope they replace them soon. All the money is going into the wedding/conference facility right now. A good friend of mine got married here in the late 80's and I believe the carpet is from then! But the staff is very nice, rooms relatively clean. So if you want to stay in a neat old house and can look past the tired furniture, you will be staying in the old "Hill" section of Sacramento - which is surrounded by many old Delta and Victorian gems.

Room Tip: I might op for one of the rooms on 2nd floor, The top floor room is HUGE but 3 floors up a skinny fl...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Everything reviewers have said about the stained carpets, narrow staircase to the penthouse, mismatched furniture, and sluggish hot water is true, but that's no reason to shy away from the Vizcaya. If you prefer look-good, cookie-cutter motel/hotel chains, you won't be interested in this old house anyway. But if you'd like to spend a night in a house of your great-grandmother's era, treat yourself to the ambiance of the Vizcaya with its wide porches and high ceilings. It's in a lovely neighborhood with a number of other late Victorians and not far from eateries worth the cost. Our mattress was of good quality and the towels (and hot water when it arrived) were plentiful. It's just a question of what matters most to you.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with your family or just want enough room for a touch football game, try the Pe...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank forthwrite
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I have stayed at the Vizcaya B&B during business for many years. It recently has been put under new ownership and the changes that they are making have definitely made each stay more enjoyable than the prior years when mother and daughter owned. The staff is friendly and very helpful. Once a young man even took me on a "property tour" when I asked about the past of the mansion. They are always willing to offer assistance with my luggage and have a beautiful property. It is conveniently located to the freeway, and close to all of the food and shopping areas downtown. I have had problems with the hot water in the past, but they had gotten a new water heater before my last stay and it didn't seem to be an issue anymore. Carpets are fine in the rooms I've stayed in and agree with the below, the hallways are stained, but not dirty. It is a hike up to the 3rd floor penthouse but it has been my favorite room to stay in, they will help you to your room. Food in the morning is good. Clean rooms. Overall just an awesome place that I recommend.

Room Tip: Many nights the Penthouse is almost the same price as a regular room, I suggest asking if there is a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business