All reviewspolitical cartoonsboutique hotelacross the streetoffice buildingattached restaurantcorner roomroom servicevalet parkingkeurig coffee makerrooms are smallheart of downtownstate capitolshower curtainquiet roomgreat roomconvention centerbusiness trip
Reviewed 30 July 2016

They advertise this as unique and historic, which oddly enough is true. It looks great from the outside and inside is attractive and takes you back 100 years or so. My room was comfortable, plenty large, quiet, with a good view of the city. A few glitches--the Keurig coffee machine did not work and the tub plumbing, though attractive, was fiddly, with water alternating between too cold and too hot despite my best efforts. The place is in the heart of the Capitol City and I appreciated the vintage political cartoons on the walls and the amusing quotations in the elevators.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank John M
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Just staying at Citizen Hotel for personal business for one night. Found the gem on a pet-friendly site but make no mistake, it is old and beautiful and full of historic references and visuals. Lobby resembled a personal library in a Cali mansion. And the rooms? Soooo beautifully decorated, not fancy nor big for a single but nicely done. Enter the bathroom and you're back another century with black and white tiles and age appropriate fixtures. The restaurant is wonderfully Sac local proud.
Could not take the pup in the dining room but he was a special hit everywhere else. Taking the dog out for his business was a walk across the street. The doorman kept a lookout for the pup and mes as we were in the park across the street.
Yes, would def stay again!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank lanmaci213
Reviewed 22 July 2016 via mobile

Nice "vintage" hotel. The restaurant is average, the front desk and valet are phenomenal, and the bar, when slow is great (with terrible service when they get marginally busy) with one or two notable exceptions (Pat and Amy)...Rooms are very comfortable with wonderfully maintained pillows (my pet peeve).

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2016

I had been on the job 6 days and the firm's principles were looking to me to be responsible for planning a flawless event for very important clients. I received 3 bids for the event. The Citizen Hotel, hands down, was by far the best deal, the most impressive venue, easiest to find for our out of town clients and the most accommodating and pleasant staff you'll find anywhere.

I had specifics which had to be met and sometimes they came at the last minute. This was never a problem for the hotel. They had everything handled.

In short, London Hine and her staff made me look fantastic to my new bosses. The principles of the firm were impressed but most of all their clients commended THEM for a beautiful, convenient and well planned business event.

Now that is a good day!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

I was in town to teach a seminar. The sponsor had booked me into a nearby motel for the night. Needless to say, I walked into that motel and walked right back out. I quickly called The Citizen and fortunately, they had a room. I love this place. The rooms are small but immaculate and well appointed. I'm all about the bed and linens and The Citizen does not disappoint! This was my third stay there and I consider this trip a lesson learned. When in Sacramento for business (or pleasure) I'll be making my own reservation with The Citizen from now on. By the way, I was a little frazzled from a long drive and changing hotels so when I got to the room I called room service for a glass of red wine and a bowl of ice cream. In true Citizen fashion, they sent up a luscious glass of Zin and two scoops of rich chocolate ice cream with a little hand made chocolate cookie. I sipped my wine and ate the rich chocolate sitting in the middle of that big bed on the zillion thread count sheets. It was heavenly! Thank you Citizen!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business