“Italian Pizza and More”

Masullo Pizza
Ranked #170 of 2,134 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

Had lunch here recently. They have a reasonably broad menu featuring pizza with and without tomato sauce. My wife had the Eileen: mozzarella, crimini mushrooms, bacon, cream and sage. She really liked it, washing it down with a draft beer. I had the Elisa: mozzarella, tomatoes, salami, onions and fennel. This was one of the best pizzas I have had. Besides pizza, they have appetizers, pasta and desserts. We will return to sample the rest of the menu.

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

Pizza Forno al Legna. Aka wood burning oven. The true secret of getting the pizza right is flash cooking at high temperature. True and tried, and these guys do it right. I have been going to Hot Italian for years but I think Massulo dough is better. The listed options seem limited but the staff are accommodating and flexible. Excellent service too. Good wine - it better be but so many places fail on this. Not dirt cheap like assembly line pizza or franchise abominations but worth it, I’ll be back (hasta la vista!). Suggestions for the manager: put a calzone on the menu and see if you can fit in larger private tables.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

This is a great place to have a casual dinner with friends or family. The pizza is great and the atmosphere very relaxed. They also have an arugula salad that is delicious. Not fancy, but local favorite.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

A reluctant reviewer. Do I rate it a 1 or 5? I can't decide.

I am a huge fan of Masullo's. I live in the area and enjoy their olive oil, bread, pizza dough (yep...you can order ahead for dough which makes killer pizza), and delicious pizza's. Their chefs are wonderfully helpful when ordering pizza dough!

So why the 1?

SOMETHING almost always goes askew when we eat here. They ran out of pizza dough on Valentines Day last year (early in the evening...we had to go somewhere else). Take out has been such a hassle for my husband he refuses to pick it up and they charge alot for their chili oil.

Over the holiday I invited guests to a "take-out" dinner from Masullo's (they had never been and I ranted and raved over it). I called several times checking on their take out wait times. 10 minutes they said. Awesome. I called back 5 minutes later and was told they wouldn't take my order. WHAT? My guests had arrived and I can't order??? Panic. I begged the young man on the phone. He said he talked to the manager and couldn't do anything for me, to call back later and see if I can order and then proceeded to hang up on me. He HUNG UP on me. I wasn't rude...just desperate. I called back and begged the young lady to please consider an order...I had just called 5 minutes before, they had told me pizza wait time was 10 minutes, now they won't take an order AND I was hung up on. I was very nice. After some discussions between the young lady and the manager they agreed but said it would be 45 minutes. Okay. We picked up the pizza...staff were aloof...and the pizza VERY stale and COLD. It had been sitting there 45 minutes. I don't think our guests will ever try this place.

It will be a long time before we go again...if ever.

If you eat here...eat in...do not order to-go.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

I know that many people like this pizza place, so my wife and I went a few days ago.... I really don't get why folks like it... I'll admit that the sauce had some flavor and the crust edge kinda worked al la NYC... but, that was it! The sausage was cubed like some sort of cheap frozen thing and was absolutely tasteless -- no fennel, no spice, no nothing. It might as well been cubed brown meat texture. The mushrooms were skimpy and, again, without a note of flavor. There was hardly any mozzarella!..The crust did not exist in the middle of the pie-- there was only a soggy mush.... our waitress was ok, friendly... but the vibe was, hmmmm, kinda a cold stone cave... I think the owner was there--- no vibe of glad you are here - --- I am in shock that people like this place---it's cold and without soul, and essentially flavorless .... I grew up in NYC and I cannot think of one person who would go more than once...... Oh! Salad had dry tasteless prosciutto!