“PASTRAMILICIOUS”

Old Country Coffee Shop
Reviewed 5 October 2017

Stopped in at the Old Country Coffee Shop for Lunch before arriving at my Brothers house. Really nice people here. Wife ordered a Fajita Salad and I a Pastrami Sandwich with Fries. When they brought out my Wifes Salad, it was Huge ... enough for 4 people, at least. But it didn't look like Fajita Meat ... you know, 'Steak' ... it was more of a Pulled BBQ'd Beef ... and this Salad is Huge. My Wife did not eat all of it because of the portion size ... Lots & Lots. I had some of the 'Fajita', and it was bland in taste and definitely not Fajita, tasted soft and mushy. The rest of the Salad was pretty good. My Pastrami was Very Lean and Tasty ... a good sandwich. I like my Pastrami sandwich thick with meat, this was not, but it was good. Willing to try something else next time we are up here.

Reviewed 16 February 2017

Living in Southern California I have the advantage of getting the best Mexican food outside of Mexico.
So here I am in the San Bernardino mountains hungry after a long drive and ready to eat the first thing in front of me.
My husband and I stopped in Running Springs on our way to Big Bear. The coffee shop looks like your standard old time, old upholstery in the booths type of place.
Standard American food is served including breakfast all day. Here's the great surprise, some of the best Mexican food I've ever had!.
I ordered the Chile Verde, cubed pork in a green sauce. The meat was tender, and fat free (historically I have found the pork cubes to be full of fat) . the sauce was full of flavor with just a hint of spicy. The dish comes with traditional rice and refried beans and both of these some of the tastiest I have ever experienced.
I'm looking forward to my next trip up the mountain including what will be our new tradition, stopping in Running Springs for Chile Verde at Old Country Coffee Shop.

1  Thank taminflight
Reviewed 9 January 2017

I often stop here after hiking in the mountains, they have good food, good prices and a friendly staff.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

The food was okay, not great , not bad , just okay. We had the chicken fried steak and eggs. Coffee was like warm brown water.

Reviewed 15 October 2016

While driving along the Rim of the World Hwy/Hilltop Drive, it was lunch time as we were entering Running Springs. After hitting a couple of thrift stores, we saw the Old Country Coffee Shop.
This is an old-school, greasy-spoon coffee shop. Does not look like much on the inside, and it does not hold too many people. But it is the type of place I always enjoy visiting because the food is usually worth the visit. It was.
Tables were full, we decided to take a seat at the counter. Service is a bit slow, but watching the guys on the grill was entertaining. The kitchen was absolutely hopping. I had a bacon cheeseburger that was a handmade patty (not just pulled from the freezer) and was very good. My wife had a chicken fajita salad that was huge, lots of chicken. AND...we got out of there only spending about $25 after beverage & tip.