“Come for the Aguas, stay for the backyard”
Review of Tio's Tacos

Tio's Tacos
Ranked #7 of 784 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

Great food, always a must see when I'm in Riverside. The Aguas Frescas are great, and their food is good too. I think their backyard is like an OCD person's paradise. It reminds me of my uncle's backyard and he collects random stuff, and so does my other friend with OCD. This place seems fascinating to them. But yeah, great spot, always something to look at, and there's parking.

Reviewed 16 August 2018

Large menu that many selections from traditional Mexican to vegan versions. Many flavors of agua frescas. Everything was fresh and well prepared. After you finish your meal wander among the art works. I call it the 'Watts towers of Riverside'. Take your camera.

Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

Took friends from out of town and they were fascinated and impressed. Always a treat. Try the chicken mole!!

Reviewed 10 August 2018

Tio's Tacos in downtown Riverside California was a great place for some very good Mexican food. It also was a great place to see different recycle art of all different things. Martin Sanchez has built a shrine out of trash. At his restaurant, Tio's Tacos, Sanchez takes recycling to great creative heights--both literal and figurative.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

It's hard to explain this place. Besides being a restaurant, there is an outrageous display of art objects constructed of recycled junk on this property. Many of these unusual creations reminded us of the Day of the Dead festivals we've been to. Enormous statues and skeletons were downright spooky. You really have to come and experience this "junkyard of art" for yourself. We've never seen anything like it.

We ordered at the counter and found a place to sit inside because it was too hot to eat outside in the heat of the day. The menu was huge and had the usual Mexican fare. They also had horchata and fruit drinks that you find in Mexico. My husband chose "Burrito in a Bowl" which had the usual ingredients minus the flour tortilla. At $13.95, he said it wasn't worth it. He could have got 2 burritos elsewhere for that price. My "Mexican Salad" in a tortilla shell was OK but nothing special. I didn't care for the hacked up chicken pieces that were peculiar tasting and chewy. They also added dark meat which I don't like. This salad was topped by a tiny glob of guacamole sauce and a spoonful of a liquidy sour cream. Tortilla chips were good and not greasy or salty, but the salsa was a little hot for me. We're not in a hurry to return, but if we did, we both would try something else.