“My New Favorite Italian Restaurant”

Salute e Vita Ristorante
Ranked #1 of 134 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, View, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marina Bay Parkway
Description: Salute E Vita, remains a home away from home for all lovers of food, art, wine, friends and most of all family, which is who we consider everyone dining with us to be. Our house made desserts, risottos, soups, pasta sauces and salad dressings are created daily. We are best known for traditional homemade Italian fare with fresh and delicious California cuisine. Whether you are in the mood for pasta or a magnificent entrée salad, fresh seafood or steak, you’ll find it here in our 100-year old Cape Cod Victorian that overlooks the marina waterfront with an elegant and welcoming fireplace dining room, an indoor veranda with stunning views of San Francisco or on our outdoor patio overlooking the Bay. We have a saying here, “at the table, no one grows old” So feel the passion for good food, beauty and friends and join us for lunch or dinner; we have your table ready!
Reviewed 26 March 2017

I'm known for the snark I add to my reviews. I only do this when something is decidedly "off" with an establishment. This missive is going to be devoid of snark since I had a wonderful time.

I have known of this restaurant for a very long time. I think I first became aware some time around 2004-5. For whatever reason, I never made it in for a meal. Once you find "your favorite Italian restaurant" you don't tend to wander. Now that the closest Italian restaurant to me has gone down the tubes, I'm in search of another one.

I'm a big fan of atmosphere. When it's not a mid-week, "I don't feel like cooking where should we go to grab a bit" situation, I want a place that actually has something interesting going on inside. I can put up with a boring interior for a quick meal, but not for special occasions. Last night was one of those.

The Yelp reviews are what swayed me to make a visit, so I thank those who have come before me. You convinced me it was time to try this place out. I was NOT disappointed!

My experience started with easy parking. I delight in not having to find street parking. It's a small convenience, but it adds to the ease of the dining experience.

The hosts that greeted us were neat in appearance and polite. They didn't appear to have their own agenda, unlike SOME places I've seen (see some of my recent reviews).

The location itself is large. I wasn't aware of all of the dining rooms until on our way out. There is even a beautiful bar with a fire place. We were seated in a row of booths (my favorite) along the window looking at the harbor. I'm a fan of a more "old school" dining room appearance. This restaurant succeeds in this without being stuffy. The booths are dark green and lined up along the window. There cloth tablecloths (this means something to me), and even candelabras along the room dividers. This all adds up to make you feel like you went some place nice.

The service was prompt but not overbearing. I like that the servers look neat in their white button-downs and vests. I care about uniformity in the staff appearance. I'm funny like that.

The bread was different but very tasty. It was like a cross between corn bread and I don't know what.

The only downside to the dining experience was my clam chowder. It was very bland. I added a BUNCH of salt and pepper and then it came up to the level that I desired. I have a feeling that this restaurant errs on the side of a lower sodium content for its patrons. No complains, but be aware of this. My partner had the calamari appetizer and he loved it.

I had the lasagna for my main course. It was different than the usual super greasy version you get at most Italian restaurants. It didn't have an overpowering tomato sauce flavor. I'm not a fan of that and I actually find it a turn-off. There was plenty of meat inside and just the right amount of cheese. My partner had the calamari main dish. It wasn't a steak but just a non-breaded version of the calamari appetizer he had. I chastised him for not asking about the format. He enjoyed his meal very much though.

I had the chocolate mousse for dessert. He had the creme brulee. Once again, they were delicious.

To top it off, there weren't any damned unruly kids ruining my dining experience. I do NOT recommend this location for young children anyhow. Let the adults have their fun here folks and take your spawn to a chain please.

I can't wait to return. I'm delighted to have found my NEW favorite Italian restaurant.

1  Thank Gabi_EastBay

Reviewed 17 March 2017

Two friends and I dined at Salute last night. First of all, the view of the water is breathtaking, and the restaurant decor is so tasteful. The wait staff could not be more friendly. And then there's the meal! I had prawns with mashed potatoes, and veggies done just right. Delicious. My friends enjoyed their meals just as much. The plates were beautifully presented. We passed on the desserts out of sheer willpower. Menbe, the owner, stopped by to say hi. HER odyssey is amazing: from having her baby in a homeless shelter to owner of a restaurant AND giving back to the community in so many meaningful ways: Thanksgiving meals for vets and homeless people, mother's day for single moms including babysitting. She is a real heroine, AND she knows how to run a terrific restaurant.

1  Thank Pamwiltravel
Reviewed 15 March 2017

We went on a weekday and after 2pm more or less. I guess it was a slow days but I hears it gets busy sometimes. I would call ahead just in case they are busy.

Reviewed 6 March 2017

I have eaten hear many times over the past 10 years or so. It is a bit hit or miss sometimes with the food, especially the pasta. I have always been happy with the seafood entrees and would recommend that if you eat seafood. It has a nice bar and good appetizers and drinks for happy hour. The view is amazing! They have a nice outdoor room that we rented for a birthday party almost 2 years ago. They did an amazing job and it was very memorable. I bring people here when they have not been to Richmond before because it is one of our gems. I had brunch here with my brother last summer. They offered an omlet with salmon, tomatoes and some other veggies served with roasted potatoes. It was divine. One of the best things I have every eaten.

1  Thank 440rosemarym
Reviewed 1 March 2017 via mobile

The setting is lovely, the service is friendly and the food is good. I had the best swordfish in lemon sauce last time I was there. I was with a group of 8 and 7 of us described their food as excellent, only one person thought their pork dish was over-cooked.

1  Thank Jennifer H