“Excellent Dim Sum”

Ranked #6 of 123 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: USD 15 - USD 20
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Reviewed 22 August 2017

My wife being Chinese, we are particular about where to eat. Other than a place in The City, this place is superior to others. Very good Dim Sum, which is all we ever eat there....when you get home cooking Chinese food on a regular basis, then Dim Sum it is.

Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

We tried many times to eat here on the weekend, but there's always a long wait for a table.

We went on a Tuesday afternoon, got seated right away and the food was great.

Reviewed 17 September 2016

The wait and seating can be trying during lunch, but good news they serve dim sum all day! Good dim sum selection and service. Not your old style carts rolling by the aisles. Picture menu gives you all you need to know. Food was fresh and none of the over used oily taste common to fried foods. Typical of Chinese food service, dishes come as it is ready..........I am going back again!

Reviewed 7 September 2016

It was a family tradition for many years to go to Yank Sing in San Francisco for dim sum on Christmas Day as a way of recovering from a Christmas Eve feast. We always enjoyed going there. We had the good fortune to find several wonderful dim sum restaurants in Honolulu during multiple visits to Oahu. We have also gone to Chinatown in Oakland, and eaten dim sum at a true hole-in-the-wall type place. When I compare Asian Pearl to these places, it doesn't really stand out. My quest for really good dim sum in the East Bay continues. I would certainly go back, but only once or twice a year. Of the numerous restaurants in the Pacific East Mall, where Ranch 99 is located, I would rank Asian Pearl third of the three I have tried so far. I have enjoyed the other two quite a bit, so this is not a negative rating, it is just an indication that there are other restaurants nearby that I enjoy more.

We went at lunchtime. As others have noted, you are given a menu and you check off the items that you want. Your server collects this, and then the fun begins. Dishes do not necessarily arrive at the same time, or in the order in which you might expect. We received the intended dessert, deep-fried sesame seed balls, first. We ordered eight dishes in total. A rough listing from favorite to least favorite would be fried shrimp tofu skin roll, steamed scallops dumpling, crispy skin pork belly, shumai, pan-fried turnip cake, steamed bbq bun, Chinese broccoli. To us, the steamed scallops tasted and looked more like shrimp, and so the meal was shrimp heavy. Perhaps it is just me, but I find smooth plastic chopsticks and smooth Chinese broccoli stems a particularly awful combination. Perhaps it should be the basis for an eating contest on American Ninja Warrior; no stabbing allowed. I think next time I will try to remember to bring my own wooden chopsticks along. If I went back, I would probably explore other options for the last three dishes I listed. Overall, it was a good filling meal, but nothing really stood out.

Service was efficient. It was not particularly helpful or friendly, but it was efficient. Value was excellent; the seven dishes plus the sesame balls came to about $42, and we took a little bit of food home. When I compare what I got for my dollar here to what I have gotten elsewhere, I have to score high on the value metric. The food, as I have said is good overall, but I can’t say that any one dish stood out and made it onto my “I have to have this again the next time I visit” list. The restaurant is clearly popular with local Chinese; I would say 80-90% of the clientele were Chinese. This is usually a good sign. Perhaps they appreciate the value of the offerings, and the option to have dim sum on a weekday at lunch. All I can say is that I have had dim sum that was a similarly excellent value, which I enjoyed more. When you eat out as often as I do, you become progressively more critical, and you appreciate the restaurants that have dishes that you particularly enjoy. This just wasn’t one of those restaurants. You will get a filling meal and an excellent value, but you are not likely to get "wowed".

Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

Jasmine tea arrived at our table along with the picture-filled "check off your order" paper menu. Dishes were all brought together, steaming hot and fresh. The dumplings were all very plump, and the crispy crusted soft tofu came with a delicious sauce. My only disappointment was the average Bao. This restaurant is in the same shopping center as the 99 Ranch Market, which is worth going to for anyone who cooks Asian food. Note: parking is extremely difficult on weekends!