“Little Gem”
Review of Oh Baby Sushi

Oh Baby Sushi
Ranked #80 of 315 Restaurants in Redwood City
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We both ordered bento boxes for dinner. One with two items and the other, three items. The food was fresh and delicious. We also ordered Japanese non alcoholic beer that was unusual as well as refreshing. We’ll definitely return.

Reviewed 25 February 2018

We usually didn't trust poor reviews and gave benefit of doubt.

The taste of food overall is not bad except the short rib. The sushi roll tasted okay and the taste of beef udon soup was decent except there were only a few pieces of beef and most were fat. The ingredients of the dishes both were lack of quality and for $15 each was expensive. .

The short rib is Korean style, poorly marinade, chewy and dry. $9.95 for 6 small pieces without any trimming is overprice.

Yes, that is ridiculous charging a cup of tea for $0.95 that usually will be free in many sushi restaurant.

Besides the quality of overpriced food was not there, two important points that we decided not going back are:
1. The ventilation of this small restaurant is very bad. With open kitchen, the smell from the deep fry oil and cooking, choked my lung and made my clothes and hair smell so bad.

2. It is okay to use Ipad to take order and take the credit card. But it turned me off by programming the tips choices as 18 % and up. If you did not want to pay 18% tips or more, you needed to use customizing format and the server was standing there to watch you to calculate the tips. That really turns off customers. That reminded me the salon I went once that they called out there was no tips and how much tips you gave when you were going out the door.

There is good Japanese restaurant near by and running by Japanese in Redwood City. You will feel more authentic than this sushi place.

Reviewed 17 November 2017

TERRIBLE!!!! I'm kicking myself for even tipping......
I wish there's a ZERO star that I can use for tonight's dinner at Oh Baby! It was the worst experience ever. Usually their place smells the bleach and it's pretty annoying when you want to enjoy a nice dinner, noisy and the service is so-so. Tonight, forget the bleach, they took our order and disappeared, to return with a half open soy bottle that dripped all over the table when i used it, I asked for napkins, they brought me 2 and never apologized.... fine, things happen... then our roll ($14.95) arrived, tiny tiny tiny.... ok, fine, no problem..... both my husband and I asked for the same Udon, his was to be "spicy" and mine to be "mild".... he got his ok, except for the pieces of chicken that consisted of gelatin and skin... mine? well, it wasn't Udon, they decided that I want to eat Ramen instead tonight, AND SPICY! Oh no worries, I did get the chicken (that looked more like pork) with gelatin and skin..... When I mentioned the confusion to the waitress who took the order, with a huge fake smile I got the "oh, sorry, it's MY fault!".... ok.... so they offered to change back to Udon, but that meant that we would have waited another 15 minutes and my husband's soup was getting cold, AND I didn't want food to be wasted.... so I kept the soup, chocked it was SOOO flippin' spicy, threw away most of our chicken (both of us), and got a bill for over $50 bucks.... she came back before my husband was done with his meal and started to remove our plates from under our nose and was even faster to serve us the little tin can with the check.... nothing mentioned about "HER fault" that admitted earlier, and she started hovering over my head to see the tip I was going to leave.... My concsience took the best of me and I left 10%. my husband said he wouldn't have left any. It's all she cared about.... the check and the tip! Oh, and when the transaction auth returned "couldn't resolve server connection", she said out loud "oh, your card is declined!", I explained to her the "meaning" of the error and asked her to retry.... of course my card didn't decline, but this lady can't even read and is in charge of a flowing business..... Yep, nasty experience, wrong meal, rushing the client, and greedy... won't be there ever again... wish we stopped next door for icecream for dinner instead!

PS: they also charge for the lousy cup of tea, $0.95... really?? No other sushi restaurant in the area charges for a cup of tea!

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

This place is more than a classic whole-in-the-wall. The sushi - if not QUITE traditional Japanese - is tasty, slightly redolent of Mexican spices. In my experience, the fish is fresh and the service fast and friendly. Inside, it is tastefully decorated, and has 4 or 5 tables on the porch. A great neighborhood place to get your fill of sushi without breaking the bank.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

I applaud these guys. Clearly, they are cooking something local people massively enjoy. I just wish they warn folks who are looking for real thing somehow. Perhaps named their place Sushi Mexicano, for example.
If you are looking for real sushi or traditional rolls you won't find much of what you are used to. California roll and a couple of others, no more. They rest includes prodigious quantities of mayonnaise and jalapeno or some other pepper. The taste of the actual fish is quite lost. Best of all, the shop probably doesn't even need a real sushi chef.
Nigiri were the worst I ate in a while. "Fishy" taste everywhere. On top of that, the guy taking orders was so surly I felt lucky we didn't have any milk with us because it would certainly go bad.
Giving it 2 stars because it totally works for some people, just not me (or you, if you are reading this review)