“Friendly albeit noisy bur satisfying dinner”
Review of Si Bon

Si Bon
Reserve with OpenTable
Si Bon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 107 Restaurants in Rancho Mirage
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Si Bon welcomes you with soft buttery walls, bright red cafe chairs and white stone tables. Hand painted murals depict Brussels and complete this charming European Bistro. Si Bon is open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner!
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Quickly seated at a table among a very noisy group of people. Wait staff were extremely friendly and fast. The three course special was good value and the mussels were excellent. The Belgian fries were soggy but edible. Otherwise a good value dinner.
What showed this wasn’t Europe was the fact we were given our cheque while still eating desert. No asking if we wanted coffee etc . It was 8 pm. This would never happen in Europe. Get in get out was the message we left with.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

My husband and I came here for breakfast after reading good reviews on TA and Yelp. I was convinced by the comments about fresh fruit, crepes, stuffed Belgian waffles, and pommes frites.

My grandmother was first-generation French-American, and her pommes frites in a cast iron pan were my favorite thing every growing up - it was always my requested birthday dinner treat.

Well, we came in this morning around 9 am, and I was delighted.

We were seated immediately, at a small cafe table in the center of the restaurant - a booth would have been nice, but most were already taken, or set up for larger parties. Once seated, we immediately received an elongated shot glass with some mysterious concoction - with no explanation. I took a cautious sip (the liquids were separating) and tasted OJ and...dill? So I asked. Yep - OJ, dill, and pineapple juice. Um, OK?

Then we were asked for our drink orders. Coffee and a berry champagne for me; Diet Coke and a Bloody Mary for DH. While we waited, we admired the large and whimsical art on the walls - primarily Magritte. Since Si Bon proudly proclaims its Belgian roots, I ventured to guess that Magritte was Belgian, not French. A little Googling on my phone confirmed that suspicion. :)

So now it was time for food. I ordered the berry/custard crepe (my grandma loved custard!), and a side of pork sausage. DH noted that this was an unusually sugary breakfast selection for me; I assured him the protein would help.

He ordered a ham and gruyere omelette, with a side of Belgian "cubed fries" and a spring salad mix - arugula?

Both of us were delighted with our meals. We were not rushed, the food arrived promptly, the excellent coffee was served in a nice large latte cup, and accompanied by REAL CREAM in a chilled carafe.

DH loved his fries - he is so used to frozen potato cube "home fries" that he was sure that the "plain potatoes" would be plain. Instead, he found them crunchy on the outside, firm and creamy on the inside, piping hot, with the perfect added amount of salt. I got to tell him about my childhood treat and the cast iron pan, and it really made me miss my grandma.

The final beautiful touch is that DH was also served a "muffin." He is not a fan of most bread products, so he casually tore off a corner to taste it...and then devoured the rest after insisting I try a taste, too. It, too, had a crustier exterior finish, and a soft, moist interior. A plain breakfast muffin, it was seasoned with what tasted to me like a bit of bacon and bacon drippings. It was buttery, salty, and crunchy and tender. A perfect little surprise to end a lovely breakfast.

As he was finishing, I noticed a lady nearby with the fruit plate - and it was HUGE and BEAUTIFUL. So get the fruit plate if you're so inclined.

As we were leaving, I approached the hostess, to tell her how much I had enjoyed our breakfast - and how much it made me feel like I was having breakfast with my long-departed grandma. She is buried about an hour away, and DH and I already had plans to visit her as we left for home.

This meal made me feel like Grandma was visiting me, and so I unexpectedly teared up as I offered our appreciation for our breakfast. So, to the crew and cooks and owners of Si Bon - thanks for an amazing experience. We will return when next in the area.

Grandma says "hi." And "well done."

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

It's a nice restaurant conveniently located at the southwest corner of Monterey and Country Club Drive in Rancho Mirage. The food us great so the restaurant was full at lunchtime. I like the covered patio seating area. My irder arrived in a timely manner. My fave dish so far is the fresh ripe papaya stuffed with chicken salad, soooo goood and a nice presntation.
Can't wait to go back again.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

This is a European style restaurant with amazing breakfast options. We tried omelettes and egg Benedicts which all were exceeded our expectations. It's a must visit place when you visit Rancho Mission.

Reviewed 29 August 2018

If you get a chance, stop by this great restaurant and try their Cubano
Pulled Pork, Ham & Gruyere Cheese sandwich. The flavor is amazing and the meat is very tender. The quality of the service staff is top notched.