“Food for thought and enjoyment”
Review of Cask 'n Cleaver

Cask 'n Cleaver
Reserve with OpenTable
Cask 'n Cleaver is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Madrone
Reviewed 9 September 2017

Cask & Cleaver has been around for 50 years. The building is still attractively rustic and large and when you enter you are greeted by friendly hostesses. You should reserve dinner on weekends but walk-ins don't have long to wait as long as there is enough staff. This place is know for it's meats and huge well stocked salad bar. The staff is very friendly, they are busy but getting their attention is pretty easy, as is the manager who's been there a very long time and will go out of his way if things are not right. We usually get the prime rib which is occasionally has too much fat but staff will accommodate bringing an extra cut and of course the salad bar. The person who wrote the review "being ignored" is wrong; as I said they are popular and busy and the staff is rarely to busy to ignore anyone. I have been going here since it opened with my parents, god rest them, when I was a lad so I know a little about the place. If you look around the restaurant there are families, couples, friends, and celebrations; they come here because they want too!

Reviewed 23 May 2017

I have been eating here for more than 20 years. That we keep returning speaks volumes. You can always count on a good meal here

Reviewed 9 May 2017

I suspect that some of the previous positive reviews were written by employees or management. My experience at Cask 'n Cleaver did not come close to a positive experience, except that the food was prepared and cooked reasonable well. My complaint was the service. We had a waitress who provided plenty of commentary and shoulder touches, but very little prompt and efficient service. Missed taking a drink order from at least one party member, never inquired as to the quality of the food or whether we needed more water, drinks etc. The list goes on...She disappeared for extended intervals and when she was present brazen and annoying. I could tolerate these mannerisms from a truck stop restaurant waitress, but the prices at this restaurant warrant better far service. I don't understand the admiration of this place that some people have for it. The decor is dated and the building smells like it needs a really good clean. As for the management checking on customer satisfaction...never happened.

Reviewed 27 April 2017

As I am from San Diego, I was unfamiliar with this restaurant, but I chose Cask 'n Cleaver for my dinner with friends because of its high ratings and its "Neighborhood Gem" designation.
We were not disappointed! The seared Ahi appetizer was tender and flavorful, and seared just right to lock in the juices. We all had steak as our main course as it's a steakhouse so duh!, and as usual we ordered our steaks Rare. Well this place isn't messing around-- they were nearly raw. However, the quality of the meat was so good, that even the super-rare, not really cooked meat tasted REALLY good, so none of us sent back our steaks for more cooking!
The atmosphere is pretty down-home, I wouldn't go here for a special evening or a romantic dinner, but if you want a good steak and great service, with a low $10 corkage fee, this is your place!

Reviewed 28 November 2016

I have been there for many celebrations. I love the Cask n Cleaver. It's been there for many years and I still love to go and have a great meal. Wonderful food, salad bar, good service. Great place to go eat dinner.