“not worth stopping for, hotel not secure”
Review of Pismo Beach Hotel

Pismo Beach Hotel
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
London, United Kingdom
“not worth stopping for, hotel not secure”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Having just returned from our trip to San Fran and surrounding area I was prompted to write (my 1st review!) having picked this hotel using trip advisor - we had such a different experience from the majority of other reviews and actually questioned that we had arrived at the right place.

I was also surprised to by the management comments to less than favourable reviews .. they are defensive and curt .. if i've paid to stay with you based on the reviews in this forum (some of which i have to say i question) then you will receive my feedback .. so everyone of your customers recieves a balanced view - we are all paid customers and have an opinion! .. please do not reply to my post Management of the Pismo Beach hotel as every other hotel management treats thier customers with respect and understanding, they listen to and digest thier views and take all feedback on board .. most end postively in the hope that the visitor will return .. this is not the case here, you have done yourself and your hotel a disservice by reacting so negatively. It reads as though this is how you would be dealt with if you complained once their, shame.

For the record my stay was (sadly) more in line with sjc 462 and Sharon's stay.

lift - yes it's well maintained .. but not practical as the only lift in a hotel this size .. we had to go and "find it" on 3 occasions - one when we were trying to check out - as if left open on another floor it will not work, quaint yes .. practical - no.

towels - i suggest the hotel towel buyer visit a hotel (of any kind) as these are neither soft, large or luxurious.

products - a sachet of make up remove, a shampoo and soap don't cut it for me i'm afraid .. but you'll save money in the long run as they were the only ones on our trip i didn't use!!.

side door and hotel security. The hotel management may not wish to listen to or choose to agree with thier customers comments on anything else but they really must address this one issue. On check in we asked about entry after hours as we were intending on going out for a meal .. we were told "it's ok the side door is left open after hours"!!! meaning you can walk straight in from the side alley/door which connects straight to the street ... ANYONE can then access the hotel, reception and all guest floors. It only takes one incident and then it's usually too late .. it wouldn't cost much to provide a key to each guest (even ask a deposit to ensure safe key return).

The above is the main reason i would never stay again, the rooms were clean, bed ok, no coffee machine and couldn't locate an ice machine (but we had the bucket?) - better "stairs" signage needed as when hunting for the lift we "lost" the stairs (had to walk down a corridor - not soo good in a fire.. maybe our bad orienteering!) but we ended up outside at one point in the rear car park! ..sea view? - can't comment we were on the 3rd floor and looked out onto a brick wall.

When we travel we try to use small, family run (if we can) hotels and B&B's to support the local economy but this and the lack of understanding from the management has made me rethink this.. a larger place or chain has 24 hour reception, usually good security meansures in place and a feedback/comments procedure.

Each to thier own, i won't be returning and didn't think it was worth the money.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank happy894dog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My friend and I Love " the Pismo Hotel" we stay here for couple nights sometime ago. Now, we go every time we have a holiday. The hospitality is excellent everybody seems to know you, very clean and close to the beach. Great location and parking is always available.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dalila A
London
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I have never criticised the opinions of other reviewers before but I must question their veracity as I could never quote the bathroom soap, makeup remover sachet and thin towels as top of the line.
When we arrived I should have been worried when a lady of the night outside asked me if this would be a cheap place to take her date? We went through to the reception and became slightly concerned when the receptionist pointed out that after 11 reception closed and the gate beside was locked but we'd be able to get in and go straight up to our room from the street, very safe and reassuring! The room had a TV that would look modern on an episode of Starsky and Hutch. The bed was tiny (by US standards) and the sink unit in the bathroom , looked as it had been on sale at Home Depot (in the late 70's).
The lift is quaint with its old fashioned gate and door mechanism, but frustrating when trying to load in your luggage. In the morning we couldn't get the lift as some kind person had left the door open on the ground floor right by reception. When we got down the receptionist just laughed and commented people are always doing that! We didn't mind walking down the stairs it was just the fact that it took us on a roundabout guess your way down journey, which eventually took us out to the car park, thank god we didn't have to get out quickly!
The only good thing was the complimentary breakfast but when you look at this area you get the feel there must have been a bar there at some point.
If I ever drive the PCH again I would drive on further.

Room Tip: Pick a room in another hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sjc462
HotelMike, Owner at Pismo Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
In the interest of Veritas, I must shine the light on a couple of statements that the reviewer made. First, while the elevator is old it is meticulously maintained and serviced by licensed professionals and it simply does not open up to the street. Second, the 'small' bed that the reviewer mentioned is in fact a King-sized bed, so I'm not certain what the expectation was there. The 'thin towels' are in fact American Pima cotton used throughout the hotel and in my humble opinion they are 'thicker' even at the end of their life cycle compared to most hotel towels that you would encounter anywhere. Finally, the Pismo Beach Hotel takes great pride in being a family-friendly hotel in a great little beach town where families have been bringing their children for generations. In all of the years that my family has owned and operated this hotel, I have never seen a 'lady of the night' loitering around the hotel grounds, much less pressing arriving couples into conversation.
Visalia, California
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My fiance and I stay here every year for our anniversary. We love it... We can drive in Friday morning and if our room isn't ready then the staff will usually offer to hold it for us. However since the parking lot is so close there usually isn't a need. The staff has ALWAYS been very friendly to us. Some of the rooms were a little cramped but not horribly! We love to grab our breakfast and sit in the courtyard! The beds are comfy.. the pillows are a little small for me but the staff will provide an extra pillow if you ask. We love the fact that you are so close to everything and yet feel as tho your alone! We're getting ready to head back in a month or so!

Room Tip: If you want a view or need certain accommodations head to their website or call the staff will help!
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the kind words. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and your fiancee when you come to Pismo. We look forward to you next visit.
Fresno, California
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My Wife and I love "The PismoBeachHotel"!

A beautiful nostalgic 1920s architecture hotel where old movie stars from the 40s stayed (Joan Crawford, Clark Gable) A Very clean hotel with a very friendly hotel staff - Excellent location 200 yards from the beach. We try to stay at PBH every long holiday weekend.Great free parking close to the hotel, we will be back. Wm G F--Fresno CA.....

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple