“Great food & Creative dishes. Highly recommened.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
pasadena
“Great food & Creative dishes. Highly recommened.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2007

My wife and I are sushi junkies/snobs and have been to almost every sushi place in pasadena. We went to Tani tonight and boy were we surprised. I think the fish quality is right up there with japon bistro and the menu is possibly even more creative than sushi roku. The atmosphere was asian style, minimalist, quiet and relaxing.

The sushi prices are about a buck or two higher than some other non-old town pasadena sushi places, but way lower than sushi roku couple blocks away. I expected the fish portions to be smaller for the price & location, but the sushi cuts and the rolls were bigger than average and the quality of the fish was outstanding! We really felt like the prices were so reasonable for the portions of food we got.

We splurged.. we got an aloha roll (yellowtail w/mango, shrimp tempura - very original), hot night roll, salad, assorted tempura, miso soup, miso glazed cod, miso glazed chillean sea bass, spicy crab roll, yellowtail sushi, and split mochi and creme brulee. Everything was amazing, the sauces and dressings on the salads, rolls, and miso glazed fish dishes were superb.
The presentation was also very cute and they brought us out a little complimentary kiwi & grape dish.

The only thing that was slightly below par was the mochi ice cream. The rice flour tasted like it had been frozen a bit too long, but the rest of our experience outweighed that minor issue. The creme brulee was also original, black sesame & green tea flavored. may sound strange, but was excellent.
The service was also pleasant and prompt.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Ari-Ya is the worst”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2005

I've never been to a worse sushi restaurant! [& I've been to many, from San Diego to Sacramento] The dynamite roll had a strange pickled flavor, the tamago had an odd after taste, the eel sauce was similar to coffee. On top of this, the restaurant was only half filled, yet they took 20 minutes to take our order, even longer to serve the drinks, & another 20 minutes to notice we needed the check & then had already paid... We had to walk the check up to a waitress. I've never, EVER given a bad review to a restaurant before, but this one displeased my date & me on too many counts.