“An out-of towner's treat”

Big Mama's Rib Shack
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Mama's Rib Shack is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #508 of 722 Restaurants in Pasadena
Price range: USD 9 - USD 16
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Description: Here at Big Mamas we pride ourselves on serving up Southern Fresh entrees that you and all your loved ones would surely enjoy. Everything is made from scratch using the finest ingredients on the market. Pasadena's Best Kept Secret. we've been serving up the community for over 15 years so come on in and check us out. Tennessee BBQ at its best. All of our meats are slow smoked with hickory and cooked to perfection. We also have the best Southern Fried Chicken & Catfish in the city.
Reviewed 15 April 2017

Big Mama's is a place I visit once or twice a year one of the times I am in town and consider it a treat. Met a friend here on latest visit and the service was excellent. I most always order the blackened chicken with the two sides. I love that they put plenty of blackened seasoning on the meat. The cooked cabbage (spicy) is my favorite side. We always share sides which is good way to sample several sides. They made a mistake and brought fried okra instead of the candied yams. This was corrected immediately and we got the okra anyway to try. Prices are reasonable. I will be back, of course.

Reviewed 3 January 2017

Visited on December 27th and food seemed it was store brought and cooked. Also very slow service as it took 45 minutes to arrive with no one in restaurant but us. Would not recommemd.

Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

Surprisingly the place was patron less at 1pm on a Tuesday. I should have known to exit when I walked into an empty restaurant.
Nice lady took my order.
Decided to try the special which was one hot link and 2 sides: I chose the cajun fries and baked beans. I also added a cup of jambalaya.
I hate to say this but I will not be returning. The food was not tasty at all. I'm from Louisiana and one thing we do not put in our jambalaya is beef. It tasted as though pieces of bbq were included. It had a smoky, mesquite taste which is not reminiscent of a Cajun/creole dish. The shrimp also were under season and had a fishy taste.

The hot link I figured would have came with bread other than cornbread muffins. I tasted the muffin and did not like the taste. I ate the hot link but the sauce lacked flavor. The baked beans were mushy and not tasty. The Cajun fries which I've read such great reviews about were horrible. I spent $17 + $5 tip and only fully ate one piece of meat. Now my meal is complete and I am still hungry. I should have just grabbed a burger.

I am a recent transplant and I see now that I will have to cook all Cajun/creole dishes. I cannot risk continuous disappointment from "Cajun/creole " restaurants in SoCal.

Big Mamas R, Guest Relations Manager at Big Mama's Rib Shack, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2016

Dear Latrunda,
We are very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with our Jambalaya and our hot link lunch special with cajun fries, baked beans,and corn bread. We pride ourselves on serving up good southern style foods that we consider second best to your own home cooking. We would like to invite you back in when your in the area and let us make it up to you some how. Every meal is an investment and we hope to satisfy everyone who comes through our doors bite after bite. Thank you and hope to make it up to you real soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2016

If you like your ribs spiced up, and very seasoned, get um here. More sauce flavored than smoked flavoring. Place is always crowded.

Reviewed 6 January 2016 via mobile

After viewing the floats on the Sunday after the Rose Bowl, we found this great restaurant.
Excellent ox-tails; fried okra; collards; cat fish and cornbread. Would definitely return.