“Great vegan option for Asian food in Palo Alto”

Garden Fresh Chinese Vegetarian Cuisine
Ranked #67 of 387 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Price range: USD 10 - USD 15
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Reviewed 5 January 2017

This is a great vegan option - big menu, all the favorites. Our favorites were the crispy sesame chicken and the eggplant. Portions are moderately sized - no leftovers for our group! The dumplings and spring rolls were also very good. We ordered my mother (raised in Shanghai) the mock Prawns with Walnuts, and hadn't told her it was a vegetarian restaurant, and she enjoyed her meal! She did say the "prawns were bigger, not what I was expecting", but.....

We went with a party of 5 on xmas eve for dinner, so will excuse that they sat us half an hour after our reservation or that the service was intermittent. The place was packed, lots of loud kids; would not go back with an elderly parent! Would definitely go back and give it a try on a quieter evening or for take out.

Reviewed 18 June 2016

If you wan't to learn that you don't need to order meat when you're really hungry and craving for the great taste of beef, chicken or duck, you should definitely visit this kitchen! I'll guarantee you won't regret it...

Reviewed 12 May 2016

This simple spot off the beaten track of University Avenue in Palo Alto begins with a warm and community feel. The owner greets each guest with remarkable kindness and gratitude -- a mix of startup young folks and tie wearing lawyers and college students and locals. In fact, the walls are covered with lovely art from the neighborhood one could acquire.

The menu is as rich with familiar options as any Chinese restaurant except, of course, all the dishes are vegan. I defy the most refined palate to tell the difference between their moo shoo vegetarian with a favorite moo shoo pork -- the carrots and cabbage are fresh and cooked bright and crispy, the tofu looks and has the texture of fine meat. It is perfectly spiced. The vegetable dumplings would compete with your favorite pot stickers everywhere. All the dishes presented around me were the same.

It is a quiet restaurant and lovely and will be my regular lunch escape when I visit the Pennisula.

1  Thank Christopher S
Reviewed 24 March 2016

I visited this restaurant a couple of times. The food is simply amazing!

I highly recommend the spinach wontons, which are soft but not sticky. There is a large selection, both for adults and children. I tried a few portions, and they were all excellent, but I can't vouch for everything, because there were just so many things to try.

Since this is a Chinese restaurant you might think to forgo the desert. Don't. The carrot cake is excellent.

Reviewed 27 February 2016 via mobile

This is a vegan place serving full scale Chinese food, like "chicken" kung po. The taste is really genuine and great. It's recommended to order several portions to share. If you didn't know it's not meat you'd happily think you are eating meat!