“Vegetarians Love Having a Whole Menu to Choose From”

Garden Fresh Chinese Vegetarian Cuisine
Ranked #64 of 378 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Price range: USD 10 - USD 15
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Reviewed 16 May 2012

So the menu here is definitely smaller at lunchtime. But that's cool-- the lunch specials are a great size, run about $8, and come with rice! (but no free soup)

The spring rolls are delicious-- basically vegetarian egg rolls, really. And I love egg rolls. It's a very good thing I can't make them myself.

The Japanese eggplant dish is also a definite standout... I've gotten it more than once and had no regrets. Only bite after bite of pure bliss.

We didn't finish all of our brown rice, and the owner/manager wouldn't take our plates away until we did... Which was cute, in a mom-ish sort of way! But we were too full and had to disappoint her. Ah, well, you can only make 'em proud for so long.

Tasty place in Palo Alto, classier digs than Mountain View, really a radically different feel. I might stick with my Mountain View location for the strip mall charm, the convenience... and the low-pressure on the rice-finishing front! But if I'm in Palo Alto, I'd head back here in a vegan chicken heartbeat.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

This is a small restaurant, and we arrived on the late side on a Sunday night - around 8. We had to wait until a party left and the table was reset, which was done very quickly. The menu is really extensive, with lots of vegetable choices, along with dishes containing tofu and faux meat. I had hot and sour soup, which was a treat for a vegetarian - they're mostly made with meat. This soup was very flavorful. Our table ordered veggie ribs, tofu delight, kung pao eggplant, and mushrooms and bok choy. All were pronounced great, with the eggplant vanquished first and with highest marks. We were the last table left but didn't feel rushed in any way. It's pretty exciting to go to a restaurant with such a varied menu with omnivore friends who get excited about their vegan meals. I'd go once a week if I lived locally.

Reviewed 4 November 2011

It's so great to go to a restaurant and know that everything on the menu is cruelty free and delicious. This is a very small restaurant and has a friendly, family feel. I have so many favorite dishes, from the orange beef to generals chicken, the hot and sour soup, scallion pancake, lemon chicken, it's all amazingly good, and service is quick. This is a wonderful, casual restaurant.

Reviewed 19 October 2011

Seriously. This is a real review. I LOVE this place. And the one in Mountain View. I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years and have always been a fan of Chinese food. I have sampled many Chinese restaurants and vegetarian Chinese restaurants and vegetarian restaurants of other varieties around the world and this place wins hands down. The food is delicious and comes to the table very quickly. Great deals for lunch. Cozy little dining room (found myself seated next to Mark Zuckerberg there once). The owner, Alice, is so friendly! She chats and teases everyone. When I lived in the area I ate there at least once a week. Now that I live in the UK, I make a point of driving down from SF at least once each time I visit the city.

Reviewed 18 June 2011

I've heard a lot about this restaurant and found it on yelp with really high rating. I am not a vegetarian but since I haven't been eating healthy this past week, I thought that I'd give this restaurant a try.

I tried their two most popular dishes according to the owner/waitress: Black Pepper Chicken and Green Onion Pancakes. Both were really delicious! The "chicken" was made from mushroom and tofu. It was deep fried and came mixed with black pepper sauce. It tastes just like real chicken. The texture is also very real. I felt like I was chewing on real chicken meat. Amazing!

The green onion pancakes weren't what I expected. (I've had the real thing back in Taiwan.) The real authentic green onion pancakes are chewy and full of green onion's flavor. They are usually pan-fried. The green onion pancakes here, however, were deep fried and had less green onion in them. They are more crispy than chewy. Nevertheless, the pancakes still taste really good. Just don't expect an authentic ones if you have had the real ones before. They are still worth trying. Very delicious!

The service was warm and inviting. I had a great experience there.

The restaurant is very small and only have like 8-10 tables. They can get pretty busy during lunch hour. The owner/waitress told me that they get even busier during dinner hours.

Conclusion: Very tasty dishes that do not require you to be a vegetarian to enjoy!