“Looks cool, but doesn't live up to its facade.”

Riviera Palm Springs Resort
Ranked #45 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
“Looks cool, but doesn't live up to its facade.”
Reviewed 29 March 2012 via mobile

While this hotel is finely appointed, it leaves much to be desired. The housekeeping staff do a lousy job, and couldn't manage to pick up the trash in the hall over the three days I stayed. The food is overpriced and not very good. I bought a beer at the pool bar in a 12 oz. cup for $7.50 that wasn't even full, and the bartender told me it was $8. The list goes on. Stay somewhere else...

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Brian M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Korean first
USA
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I checked in on a Tuesday asking for a quiet room. The front desk assured me that was possible. However the room was next to the hotel's mechanical room and there was a constant humming, as if I were next to a factory. We changed rooms twice and finally stayed in a room near the small poor. Although once again assured the pool closed at 10 pm there was chatter and laughter until 1 am. The rooms were not attractive although the beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms was fine except for the horrible lighting.
The halls were dark and endless. The whole hotel appeared to need painting. It had a very faded appearance.
The staff were friendly and tried to be helpful. All could have been forgiven if the hotel had not been expensive for what was offered. Additionally the hotel charges a $100 non refundable fee for a small dog. The Hyatt charges $25

Room Tip: Rooms away from the mechanical rooms and elevators. Close to the lobby would also be easier
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
RivieraPalmSprings, General Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
I apologize that you did not receive your room requests right away. Your comments and suggestions will be taken to heart as we have many improvement plans for the future of the resort. The charge for a pet fee is necessary as there are costs associated with the clean-up of a guestroom once the pet departs. I will make sure to pass along the comparison of rates for pet fees as there may be a way to make adjustments. Once again, I am sorry for the challenges you faced and want you to know we appreciate the feedback.
Elmhurst, Illinois
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The overall expereince was nice. The pool was adequate, but the rooms were dirty. Ours had crumbs all over the floor (not from us). There is parking near each area of rooms. The entire place is large, so we asked to have a room near the front of the resort. We used a Groupon to stay here, but I don't think it is worth what they normally charge. Room service is $$$$, so be prepared to pay if you want to eat breakfast in the room.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
I am sorry that you had crumbs on your guestroom floor. The crumbs should have been vacuumed and that was our mistake. Based on your review, it is not clear whether or not you contacted our staff to make us aware of the issue as I know a housekeeper would have been at your service. Thank you for bringing the issue to our attention and for the other comments you included in your review.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 27 March 2012

OK, I don’t know where to start with their bizarre hotel. I stayed for three nights in coordination with a conference being held there. A fellow conference attendee said that this kitschy hotel looked like a bordello, and she probably wasn’t too far off. The red back-lighting in the lobby didn’t help.

What worked? The food was very good, even the buffet food. I was impressed. Also, the rooms were clean and comfortable (for the most part). The location is great, and it’s very easy to get a cab. I didn’t get a chance to spend any time at the pool, but the set-up looked great.

What went wrong? Where to begin… I had unpacked and settled into my room when I sat on the bed and learned that the box spring was broken. This could be overlooked if I slept on the other side of the bed. Annoying, but not the end of the world. More of a problem was the faucet. Every time I turned it on, it sputtered like there was air in the pipes. Sounded like the water had been turned off, but this happened EVERY time I turned on the water. I called down to the desk and was told that “Engineering” would be up to check on it. I waited for 30 minutes and called the desk again. Was promised that someone would be up in 5 minutes. Nothing. I walked down to the front desk, which is not a short distance in their expansive resort. Apparently, I had given the wrong room number the second time I called, but it was a room number that didn’t exist. When I asked about it, the woman at the desk answered in a flip voice, “Well, we have 400 rooms, so I don’t know.”

I asked for a new room but was refused. I had to go back and wait for “Engineering,” i.e. Maintenance, to come up. His solution was just to let the water run for 3-5 minutes every time I used the faucet or shower. Because this is practical every time I wash my hands. The pipes in the wall made so much noise that I’m sure they will cause major water damage soon.

I also had dinner in the restaurant by the pool. Great set-up, yummy food. We had club sandwiches and would recommend them. But a server left to get me a refill on my drink and never returned. After at least 20 minutes, we have to ask another server to get me my drink. Very weird, but not unusual at this hotel.

Overall, I would not stay at this hotel unless you get a deal on Priceline bidding – maybe $75 or less. Definitely not worth the $200/night I paid.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank thetravelinlass
Please accept my apology for your box spring and faucet issues in your room as well as the service issues you have described in your review. I would like to mention in response to the décor comments that the Riviera has a rich history beginning in 1959 when it first opened. Many celebrities from that time period, including Frank Sinatra ,made the resort their hang-out and also performed in our Mediterranean Room. The front lobby features the orange glow as a tribute to Frank Sinatra as orange was one of his favorite colors. Thank you for the informative review. Once again, I am sorry for the issues you came across during your visit. Please let us know if you would like to discuss your stay further as a manager would be happy to assist you at your convenience.

Travellers are raving about these Palm Springs hotels

Buenos Aires
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Nice hotel with refurbished rooms and a great pool, however paying $300 per night for a standard room during a conference felt like bad value for money.

Also I had a couple of minor issues with the room (which was nice!) and the subsequent email exchange with the hotel management revealed some serious shortcomings in their communication skills! I will steer clear of "Noble House" properties as much as possible in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
I apologize that you left our property with the sentiment that you did especially since you did compliment our rooms and pool. Please contact my office if you wish to further discuss your stay. We appreciate all guest feedback as it guides future decisions and assists in improving our guest and group experience.