“Would like to return for leisure”

Plaza Resort and Spa
Ranked #51 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
North Carolina
“Would like to return for leisure”
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Plaza Resort and Spa is not a hotel; It's a time-share. So if you want a modern hotel with all the amenities, this is not the place for you. However, that being said, I had a wonderful stay. The room was actually a suite, two rooms. A small kitchen, dining table and living room area with pull-out sofa (which I didn't use) and TV. The other room was the bedroom and bathroom. Both rooms were spacious and had balconeys. The bed was very comfortable. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The resort has three floors and offers rooms facing either the golf course or tennis courts. I asked for a quiet room facing the tennis courts and my room on the third floor was very quiet. The only thing I heard was the occasional door closing. The hotel has tennis courts, fitness center and swimming pool (which I didn't have time to use) and two hot tubs. They also provide towels and bathrobe if you ask. They also have free DVDs to loan and a book exchange in the lobby.

A couple of important things to note:

1) internet is an extra fee about $5 per day
2) there is not daily maid service, but you can exchange towels at the front desk
3) they take a $100 deposit for incidentals and remove from your credit card day after you leave

With all that in mind, I highly recommend the Plaza Resort and Spa.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank ncbeachgoer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 31 August 2010

The Resort was older but very nice and clean. Comfortable. The scenery was wonderful. Sits right on a beautiful golf course.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhyllisP3
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 June 2010

Overall I really liked this place. The front desk people were very very nice whenever I came in contact with them. The room itself (I got a studio) was nice, although it was decorated a little too "Golden Girls" for me. The kitchenette had everything, including a toaster and a blender. There was a DVD player, and they loan out DVDs in the reception area. My unit had a nice view of the golf course, but on the other side of the building, units had a view of the beautiful mountains; both views are impressive. Everything worked and I had no maintenance issues.

The bed in my unit was super-comfortable, probably one of the best I've ever had in a hotel (I was in room 220.)

They have a nice workout room that's well-equipped with a treadmill, Lifecycle bike and a big universal station for weight lifting. The exercise room overlooks the main pool.

What I didn't like: I could clearly hear people walking around (among other things) in the unit above me. Most buildings in California are wood-frame instead of cement, so you don't get very good sound insulation, especially from rooms above. For me, in the future, it will be more important to get a 3rd floor unit, regardless of the view. If there had been kids in the room above mine, I would have had to change rooms, I'm sure. Also, I thought the $30 per week fee to use the wireless internet was too high, so I used dial-up instead (NetZero gives 10 free hours per month).

You would probably need a car while visiting here, but it would be possible to not have a car. If you leave the hotel, walk down Golf Club Drive to the main highway, take a left and there's a shaded bus stop. The bus probably doesn't come very often, but it's nice to have the option. If you walk past the bus stop, you'll find a Target, Starbucks, Pollo Loco, Trader Joe's supermarket, and plenty of other shops. It's about a 5-minute walk to the bus stop, and another 5 minutes more to the shopping center. This is a very safe area for walking. If you want to walk everywhere, you should probably stay in downtown Palm Springs, as this place is very near Cathedral City.

A previous reviewer had said their car got broken into, so I put all valuables in my trunk, and left the empty glove box open. Nothing happened to my car during the week I was there.

I warmly recommend this place, and will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
8 Thank maynard7
US
Reviewed 30 October 2009

The Plaza Resort and Spa was a friendly place to visit. All of the staff could not do enough for us. There was one maintenance issue that was fixed swiftly. The 2 pools and 2 spas were exceptionally clean and tidy. We were even given a spa robe to use during our visit. We had a studiol apartment and had plenty of room to sleep, cook, and eat. Our condo was facing the golf course so we had great views of the mountains. We would return to this condo and recommend it to our friends.
Palm Springs was a great city to visit with lots of outdoor activities and shopping.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annie449
Washington
Reviewed 9 September 2009

My husband and I just spent a week in this hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
The staff was very friendly and always helpful. We were surprised at the spaciousness of the one bedroom apartment. It was very clean. Two family members joined us for two nights and because of the apt size, it was very comfortable for four adults. I was pleased by all of the amenities in the kitchen, especially since the advertisement indicated a mini-kitchen. There was every kind of appliance I would need. We also used one of the outdoor BBQs. The king size bed was very comfortable. We would recommend requesting "2nd or 3rd floor golf course view" which was beautiful as we overlooked the beauty of the area and the pool and 2 jacuzzis. We would definitely go there again and also recommend it to friends. (Internet was available for a weekly charge.)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple