“Low-key european style getaway in beautiful Palms Springs”
Review of Korakia Pensione

Korakia Pensione
Ranked #33 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
USA
“Low-key european style getaway in beautiful Palms Springs”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

If you're looking to stay in a central PS locations and want to immerse yourself in a serene and romantic setting, Korakia Pensione should fit the bill and then some. Surrounded by superbly manicured gardens and elegant yet simple bungalows, you'll feel completely transported, likely forgetting that the town center is only a 10 minute walk away. Nestled underneath the stunning PS mountains and far removed from the hustle and bustle of city life, there are no televisions, no kids, and very little to do. Charming, private, simple yet comfortable, this is a great place to do nothing but lounge by the pool and rejuvenate. The staff is terrific and unobtrusive, and I was so impressed by all of the heart put into every detail of this lovely property. It's not cheap, but a worthy way to splurge.

Room Tip: Definitely consider whether you want to be directly by the pool, or a bit further removed, and I don...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jonah24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Seattle
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Overall we had a nice stay. However, I do agree that the price is too steep for this hotel. I would be more satisfied with my stay, if we did not pay so much. The rooms are maybe a 3 star, but the grounds and the serenity is what you pay for.

Pros:
lovely, romantic grounds
Non-hotel feel
Nice heated pools
Plenty of room on the properties to have private space to read/relax
Fun outdoor movie nights
Nice fire pits at night
Quiet, peacful location

Cons:
Breakfast was just ok. Nice not to have to go anywhere for breakfast, but quality could be better and there was no choice.
Bed comfort was only so-so
Room needs some TLC and better amenities
And yes, sand does get tracked in your room
As someone else mentioned it was almost comical how difficult it was to make a reservation over the phone. I had to repeat myself over and over again and they still did not get it right. I had to call the next day to give my email address again, so I could get my confirmation.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chellystivers
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Lovely Korakia. I agree with the review for the most part. Here is our take:
Pros:
1. Serenity! peaceful tranquil. Very special in this respect. Very zenlike (though we did not have any issue with pesticide person as mentioned in previous review..that would have spoiled it). Sounds of birds, quiet and meditative!
2. Location: Quick walk to hiking in the mountains behind the hotel by only a few blocks (and a few blocks to the north due to the tennis club), restaurants, city life, VillageFestival, tennis club restaurant Spencers,
3. Best Serene Breakfast - yes bfast was great one day and another day was average.but the setting with the fountain, birds and quiet peacefulness makes this one of my favorite breakfasts in the last 12 months and definitely the best breakfast experience of the entire trip (we stayed at two places so had to go out for breakfast on those mornings as comparison - cheekys was delicious with its breakfast chillaquillas but still the ambience at Korakia was lovely). If you want to awaken and feel peaceful, these lovely breakfasts are the way to go. Zenify the day!
4. Details...okay some need some more TLC but here are good ones:
Water filled jugs with fresh orange slices and sometimes herbs.
Kind landscaper who tells us about the hummingbirds next door in front of Coyote Inn next door. Wow, we even had one land on us...at 530 at night there are about 60 of them...it is amazing. My thanks to Coyote inn too for their kindness in sharing in their hummingbirds. They refill their feeders twice a day and every 3 months new hummingbird species come to visit.
Nice linens, great pillows,
Outdoor movie was fun, the setting with the firepits and candles plus the little places to just be like the Indian day beds add to the serenity
Found the gals very nice and kind. Even let us recommend the movie one night.
salt water pools were great.
was fine to have my daughter age 13+ with us...she enjoyed the cat, looking for birds and reading her book. while is more a place for romance, okay to bring one child along too if they will allow it.
Cons:
yes had one time when i couldn't get the shower hot like other reviewers mentioned.
King bed is not really a king but two twins put together with mattress topper. This should be disclosed. Some tlc in the rooms is needed but is still lovely. Prefer this rusticness to the ultra modern look that so many PS hotels are trying to do. Thank-you to the Korakia for a special couple of days!

Would go back again for its serenity.

Room Tip: visit hummingbirds in front of Coyote inn next door, bring some favorite tea or wine for evening dri...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
korakiapen, General Manager at Korakia Pensione, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
HI Guys!! Thank you for your sweet review! And also for your feedback about the bed. I honestly haven't had any other mentions of it but will definitely work on making it better. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My family recently stayed at Korakia and rented two suites--one on each side of the property. The outside common areas are uniquely lovely. We loved the pools (92 degrees, yay!), fountains, fire pits, daybeds, etc. The rooms were quite comfortable but need better lighting in the living areas and sound-proofing between units (we could hear our neighbor snore). They also need to be stocked better, particularly the kitchens. In the largest suite, we had exactly two each of the 3 eating utensils, water glasses, and coffee mugs--no more. I had to go begging for a pot and sharp knife to prepare food and we had to "borrow" from the second suite in order to dine together. Not what I expected from a $300+ per night hotel. Also, the reservation process by phone was very slow and disorganized. Some training is needed there. However, the food served at breakfast was very good and the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I'd been anticipating a visit to Korakia since we bought the getaway at a fundraising auction. The beautiful styling of the Moroccan-themed setting and the amazing proximity to downtown Palm Springs were bonuses. I also was totally impressed with the heated pools, which really were heated, unlike so many hotels that claim to do so but the water is always chilly. Not here! I would return just for the peaceful setting and warm depth of the pools. The details I'm not so pleased about? At their prices, I felt the breakfast was a mixed bag: No meat served at breakfast, tiny plastic packets of diner-style jelly instead of real jam, and just a bit slow service with two food errors on the first day. A pesticide sprayer walked through the pool area twice during his spraying, although he didn't spray directly around us at the time. Toxic spray was the last thing I needed to worry about during a getaway built on quiet and peace, in a place with no televisions. The good? Lovely setting, big interiors, very calm and noise-free, great indoor and outdoor lounge areas, fully stocked real little kitchen inside the rooms. I loved it and will be back, but as my husband said, it's like a four-start place with three-star offerings. Service and food details can be fixed and then it will be worth the elevated price again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tinapage
Thank you for your review! We've already started to look for some alternatives to some of the breakfast items you mentioned and I apologize for the confusion during breakfast. Our great service has always been one of the main things that set us apart. We would very much appreciate another opportunity to meet your expectations. We hope to see you again soon!