“A little more effort would make Korakia wonderful”
Review of Korakia Pensione

Korakia Pensione
Ranked #36 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
“A little more effort would make Korakia wonderful”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My family recently stayed at Korakia and rented two suites--one on each side of the property. The outside common areas are uniquely lovely. We loved the pools (92 degrees, yay!), fountains, fire pits, daybeds, etc. The rooms were quite comfortable but need better lighting in the living areas and sound-proofing between units (we could hear our neighbor snore). They also need to be stocked better, particularly the kitchens. In the largest suite, we had exactly two each of the 3 eating utensils, water glasses, and coffee mugs--no more. I had to go begging for a pot and sharp knife to prepare food and we had to "borrow" from the second suite in order to dine together. Not what I expected from a $300+ per night hotel. Also, the reservation process by phone was very slow and disorganized. Some training is needed there. However, the food served at breakfast was very good and the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I'd been anticipating a visit to Korakia since we bought the getaway at a fundraising auction. The beautiful styling of the Moroccan-themed setting and the amazing proximity to downtown Palm Springs were bonuses. I also was totally impressed with the heated pools, which really were heated, unlike so many hotels that claim to do so but the water is always chilly. Not here! I would return just for the peaceful setting and warm depth of the pools. The details I'm not so pleased about? At their prices, I felt the breakfast was a mixed bag: No meat served at breakfast, tiny plastic packets of diner-style jelly instead of real jam, and just a bit slow service with two food errors on the first day. A pesticide sprayer walked through the pool area twice during his spraying, although he didn't spray directly around us at the time. Toxic spray was the last thing I needed to worry about during a getaway built on quiet and peace, in a place with no televisions. The good? Lovely setting, big interiors, very calm and noise-free, great indoor and outdoor lounge areas, fully stocked real little kitchen inside the rooms. I loved it and will be back, but as my husband said, it's like a four-start place with three-star offerings. Service and food details can be fixed and then it will be worth the elevated price again.

1 Thank tinapage
korakiapen, General Manager at Korakia Pensione, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for your review! We've already started to look for some alternatives to some of the breakfast items you mentioned and I apologize for the confusion during breakfast. Our great service has always been one of the main things that set us apart. We would very much appreciate another opportunity to meet your expectations. We hope to see you again soon!
Colorado
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I have been a "Desert Rat" dating from my childhood stays at the old El Mirador during the 60's. The weather makes Palm Springs a vacationer paradise in the winter months. I relocated to Colorada 13 years ago and one of the few things I miss is January/February in the desert. We decided to take a winter break and booked three nights at Korakia, based on an article in Sunset Magazine. We wanted something a little different from the standard chain hotel and I was familiar with some of the "hidden treasures" west of downtown Palm Canyon.

We reserved the "Thessaly" room across the street from the main hotel. The ambience of the grounds is quiet, peaceful and charming. The myriad candles at night add a lot. We found the room to be terrific in some respects and lacking in others. The room is fairly large in a secluded, quiet location and the king bed is one of the most comfortable you will ever sleep on. Otherwise, the furnishings are minimalist/spartan. The bath is large and I wish I had had time to soak in the tub. Bath towels were large and decent quality. Toiletries are top-shelf. There is a mini-fridge which is handy for the crisp Frog's Leap Sauvignon Blanc and Trader Joe goodies. Wine glasses are provided on request. Bring your own coffee and basket filters if you don't want the complimentary Seattle's Best. Room lighting is minimalist, so plan on doing most of your reading outside.

The east-side complex has a great pool. Enjoy the cool, early morning sun exposure.

So why isn't such a nice room [bed wise] and romantic setting the best deal in town? First, be advised that the grounds are mostly sand navigated by pathways among the trees and shrubs. Lots of sand and little rocks end up on the tile floor in the room, despite best efforts to clean our shoes. Plan on having a pair of "inside" shoes available. I've already mentioned the lighting; it would be nice to have some light above bed level, besides the closets. We noticed deferred/neglected maintenance and upkeep. Doors that won't open all the way, broken glass bottles in the sand where we had to walk, peeling paint, missing paint, dilapidated fence, broken gate. I've owned apartments and my maintenance people would jump my butt over some of the trip hazards.

Now let's address the issue of "full-cooked breakfast". Orange juice and French toast with a few sliced strawberries. Some of the toast was gummy in the middle, some was over done. Next morning- orange juice, pseudo-Denver omelet, potatoes. My partner preferred no onions or bell peppers and got hers to order. Mine omitted the cheese [I don't know why] and onions/peppers were barely sauteed beyond cold. The omelet was made with probably an egg and a half and was flat as a dollar bill. Sunday morning was orange juice, pancakes, and turkey bacon. My partner says no to pancakes and was accommodated with a piece of toast. The pancakes [which were decent in a plain way] were accented with some sliced bananas and the turkey bacon was ... well ..., turkey bacon. Fine dining this is not. I would put the quality at a notch below what I would serve my kids and guests. What about some real maple syrup? What about some quality jams and preserves [check out TJ]? How about fresh fruit, instead of a couple of small slices from an orange?

So why make such a big deal about little things? THE PRICE! I'm sure many people love Korakia in a minimalist way, but to me the over all quality does not reflect value for the money spent. The staff is helpful and accommodating, we slept well, and, of course, the weather was spectacular. But we can have that in any number of PS hotels.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wineau1
korakiapen, General Manager at Korakia Pensione, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Thank you for your feed back. We are consistantly looking for ways to improve the hotel and our guests experience. We take pride in the hotel and are saddened that it did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately during the time that you stayed with us Palm Springs was still recovering from a terrible wind storm that saw winds of 50 to 70 mph. I hope that this might be taken into consideration when considering places to stay in the future.
Tustin
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I brought my wife here for a belated birthday weekend. She absolutely loved the the hotel. It's kinda hidden but near the strip. Great location. The staff were friendly and stated they would make reservations for us at any restaurant. Very tranquil. Breakfast in bed was very good. We stayed at the Naish house and was welcomed with a bottle of red wine, Brie, and some assorted fruit. We will be returning soon. They have complimentary bikes that we used to get around.

San Clemente, California
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary with a midweek getaway to Palm Springs. I will never stay anywhere else in Palm Springs...perfect setting, great service, sexy rooms, amazing pools areas, BEST MASSAGES EVER. The Moroccan side stole our hearts, but we also ventured to the other side to have massages and play bocce ball. We have had couples' massages in some really high-end spas but nothing compares to Korakia's mom & daughter duo. The massage building is outdoors but enclosed and cozy. Then we jumped in the impossibly warm and soothing pool and floated our stress away. Perfect! Our room was the Nomad suite, which had a full kitchen and wood burning fireplace. Can't wait to go back!!