2,543 results
All reviews rockwood grill lobby bar self parking sushi bar golf course boat ride palm springs exotic birds pink flamingos fisherman's landing business conference beautiful grounds desert springs bit dated mini golf pool area fitness center
Reviewed 12 December 2017

My partner and I stayed here five nights as part of a conference, and had a great experience overall.

Rooms are large, and generally well equipped, but (here's my only significant complaint) dated and in need of a refresh. Also (and this seems to be an increasing trend among hotels, not just this one), rooms labeled as "King" rooms don't necessarily have king beds. On the plus side, all rooms come with balconies, a fridge, and free water (a small yet very practical amenity). Bathrooms are large, with both a shower and a bathtub. Internet speed is superb (particularly impressive for such a huge resort) and free if you're a Marriott Rewards member. One oddity is that while all rooms have a safe, the safe is extremely small and cannot fit a laptop of any size (may be an i-pad).

The grounds are gorgeous too: there are four pools, including a lap pool and a salt water pool, and a few hot tubs. The pools are nicely heated and it's really lovely lounging in (or by) the pool with such dramatic views of the mountains on all sides. The spa is also definitely worth a visit. Inviting, comfortable, and clean, with two scented steam rooms, sauna, jacuzzi, and private outdoor pool. Great staff as well.

Finally what makes a hotel special is the people, and here the hotel gets a BIG thumbs up. Big resorts can often feel impersonal, but everyone here was friendly and accommodating. I'm sorry that I don't remember individual names so I can highlight them here.

A couple practical notes:
First, the hotel is HUGE and extremely spread out. Be prepared to walk, or if you'd rather not, try and get a room that's in the central section. And second, the hotel is not really conveniently located to just about anything else. So unless you're planning on staying on resort grounds your whole trip, a car may not come amiss.

Room selection: We stayed in two rooms (we were upgraded to a suite midway through our stay). I prefer the rooms further away from the center, as the central-most rooms open out into the central lobby space and can be noisier. But that entails a longer walk...

Room tip: Rooms closest to front desk open out onto a central lobby and are noisier. I'd stay further away, although that means longer walks.
Date of stay: December 2017
1  Thank Adi T
esther f, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

Dear Adi T,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We were all delighted that we had the opportunity to welcome you to the JW Marriott Desert Springs. We loved hearing that you were able to enjoy our many amenities and that you found the location to be perfect during your stay. We can't wait to welcome you back on your future travels to Palm Desert.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

I spent several nights here while my husband attended a convention and I was less than impressed with the JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort. I can barely think of anything that was positive about my experience here, and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

The problems started from the moment we pulled up to the front door to check in. An overly eager man came running up to tell us to pull "over there" in the parking lot marked Valet Only so we could check in, reminding us to "come back and see" him once we got our room assignment so he could tell us "the best place to park." Fishing for tips, my man, fishing for tips. There's no "best place to park" because the hotel only has ONE parking garage and it's at the end of the property, meaning a nice, long walk if you have your own car.

The property has a weird layout, meaning that if you aren't lucky, you'll have a very long hike to your guest room. We had to park in the garage, take an elevator up to the convention center, walk out of the convention center and past the car rental office, into the main lobby, up another elevator, then all the way back down the hall to our room. Some really unlucky souls had an even longer maze of a walk to their rooms.

The room was very dated but had nice windows and a cute little balcony. The shower was tiny with a standard bathtub. The in-room fridge was nice, but only two complimentary mini bottles of generic water were provided ONCE during our stay. Pretty lame for a desert "resort." The a/c unit in our room did not cool well and it got very uncomfortable in the middle of the night. The beds were far from "spa" like and were rock hard, reminiscent of the style of mattresses you'll find in hotels all over Europe.

Maid service was good when they showed up; usually it wasn't until very late in the day (4:30 pm or later). The parking garage was dark with motion activated lights that weren't nearly bright enough to see anything; I got the creeps when parking myself late at night.

To add insult to injury, the hotel levies a bogus, totally offensive $35 PER NIGHT "resort fee" on top of the high nightly rate. Look at my photo of what this lame fee covers -- stuff the average person would NEVER use, like golf bag storage or Biggest Loser classes. What? Why should I have to pay for stupid things like that?

The grounds are beautiful and there's a free boat ride that you can catch in the lobby. There's a spacious lobby bar with a very good menu of wines and beers by the glass. Golf courses, palm trees, flamingos out front...all a colossal waste of water. Oh, and they have captive parrots in the lobby, and most of the time they'd squawk and scream because they were so bored. It made me so sad.

Date of stay: October 2017
3  Thank moviegal226
esther f, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Dear Guest,
We are truly appreciative of your review and were all disappointed to learn that, your most recent stay was less than absolutely delightful. We are sincerely apology for the challenges you experienced. We have certainly reviewed your comments with our management team. We truly hope that we might have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to restore your positive regard and provide you with a more enjoyable experience from start to finish

Reviewed 7 December 2017

at this hotel for a business meeting. A truly beautiful property- well manicured, very nice pool and lake with mountains in the background. Good restaurants on the ground and pleasant staff with very nice lobby bar. Great place for a personal vacation or business meeting.

Date of stay: December 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a prefect review. We truly appreciate all feedback that is provided to us! We look forward to welcoming you again whether for business or pleasure.

Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

I am extremely satisfied with this trip mainly because of all employees and what they each had to offer. A particular one was Kristen From the Front Desk! She is so sweet, attentive, and can multi task with giving outstanding customer service at the same time. Kristen was busy, yet she managed to accommodate all guests and that is what makes guests like myself and my party, coming back to this particular Resort. Kudos to you and your team. This resort and the amenities are amazing and just gorgeous. I’m in the hospitality industry and I just want to say Thank you all for my making my family’s trip a memorable one! I’ll see you all soon!

-Diana Habash, San Diego

Date of stay: November 2017
esther f, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with others. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you visit us again! Best regards

Reviewed 30 November 2017

As a Marriott Platinum, I stay in a lot of hotels. Overall, this was a most disappointing experience. Without going into endless detail, apparently Marriott "forgot" I was coming. I was offered a room facing the parking lot (with people outside blasting their stereo) with my bed type or two double beds if I wanted a "quieter room" -- guess I had no choice there. Walked into the room and found the lamps had been unplugged, a dirty balcony (walked out on it and my bare feet were black from the dirt on the floor) and heavily worn furniture.

If I was staying in a "classic" Sheraton or Marriott, I would expect most of this, but not one of Marriott's signature "JW Marriott" properties. Sounds like the moral of the story is that if this is what a Platinum Marriott member gets, I can't imagine what a "regular" customer receives.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank TylerTheTraveler84

Dear Guest,
First and foremost, thank you for your loyalty and support to Marriott as a Platinum Elite member. We thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We apologize that this stay did not meet your expectations. We certainly strive to deliver exceptional service to our guests. Our apologies for any inconvenience and we look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again.