“My stay was pleasant”

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Orange County, CA
“My stay was pleasant”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My stay at the Residence Inn in Palm Desert was pleasant, but it's easy to see why this property gets mixed reviews.

The Good: I booked a 2-bedroom unit. The price was right, and far less expensive than getting two rooms. Our unit, upstairs in building 3, was quiet and had a balcony over the dogwalk, facing an adjacent golf course. Parking was easy, even though the place seemed packed. Checkin was my only contact with hotel staff, and that went fine. Another bonus is that every unit has a balcony or patio. The patio on the unit I had was off the living room and had seating for 4.

The Bad: The property shows lots of wear. Doors to units need painting, as does the balcony area. The door to my bedroom, inside the unit, had a split at the bottom. A lot of guests were smoking in the outdoor area outside the Gatehouse. That was unfortunate because it is a common sitting area, and a nice area to have breakfast - if there weren't people next to you smoking. Smoking is encouraged in the area because there are stands for cigarette ashes and butts. That's unfortunate for those of us who do not smoke. The smoking area should be elsewhere.

Overall: While my unit was quiet and offered privacy, some first floor units are right along the walking path - such as Building 6. Building 1 is along a busy street, which I imagine would be noisy. I don't think that I'd accept a downstairs unit along the roadway or walking path.

I'd stay here again, if the price is right. I felt that this could be a nice alternative to the mega-resorts in Palm Desert.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor. Avoid buidlings 1 and 6. Do not stay along the drive way.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed here for 1 night early April. We are a family of five, 3 kids & adults. The grounds are nice but the rooms need some updating. The studio was semi clean, the king bed was missing a mattress pad and it took 3 calls to get it. Once it arrived it only covered 1/4th of the king size bed. The fold out couch was not in great shape either. The mattress was old and worn. Again the bedding was below average. I requested a crib when I made the reservation and asked for it again at check in. It took several more phone calls and another 2 hours before it arrived. I spent a great deal of time cleaning the pack n play for it was also in very poor shape. The kids did enjoy the pool and the tennis court. The front desk was friendly but housekeeping could use a little improvement. I enjoy staying at Residence Inn properties when traveling with the kids, but the Category 4 rating is a tad high for this one. On a positive note, the patio was nice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Jim Z, General Manager at Residence Inn Palm Desert, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Dear PT, it sounds like if we could fix our response time and renovate our rooms we would have your loyalty. Thank you so much for posting your experience on tripadvisor and wanted you to know we are up to the challenge. Our renovation begins the first week of September and will be completed early November, this will include all guestrooms and gatehouse so we are excited to have you come back and enjoy our new room when you are back in the valley and need a place to stay. Along with our renovation we are finally getting WiFi in all of our suites and is underway as we speak, should be completed soon and we can toss out the ethernet cords and you can enjoy your wireless devices in your suite. We will also share your comments with all of our staff who are responsible for service and improve our response time for delivery, certainly opportunity there and we will be ready.

Jim Zeltner, General Manager
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The good, the rooms are big well furnished and nice appliances. The bad, the beds seem tired. Good location and a good value considering you get a free breakfast and internet.

• Stayed March 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 29 March 2012 via mobile

Stayed in 714. Room in need of cleaning and maintenance. Sloppy housekeeping. Had to call for TP, hair dryer, dishwasher detergent, coffee replacement, etc.
Unidentified goo on wall. Bathroom sink stopper jammed shut. Did credit me $100 on a 3 night stay, but never again.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Nancy M
Dear Nancy M, thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I can assure you although I have been slow to respond to your posting all of the service issues had been addressed. Missing the basics is unacceptable and I am really sorry. We have systems which prevent results like this and when thats broken we lose customers. Please come back and give us another chance. We have a renovation scheduled for this summer, new WiFi in all of our rooms, and a great new attitude for doing things right the first time, in your case the second.

I hope you reconsider and see you soon,

Jim Zeltner, General Manager
Orange County
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This is a lovely property. We were greeted nicely at reception by a helpful lady. We had a studio, which basic but fine. That being said, Residence Inn is not an inexpensive property, and I was disappointed to see where they miss the mark on the small things that matter. 1) Conditioner - this is not a luxury but a basic amenity! Really, women do not go without. 2) Soap - one bar to use for both the shower and sink? Inexcusable. I shouldn't have to make a call for either of these items.

Room Tip: Facing the golf course - an upper floor for view if you're ok with stairs.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple