“Absolutely Beautiful!”

Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I've been wanting to return to the Palm Springs area for years, and 2012 was the perfect opportunity for a vacation there. We were there the last week in August, so we expected hot temperatures, and we got them.....luckily the humidity was relatively low (per east coast standards), so it was definitely not unbearable.

Check in at the resort was very easy and quick, and the front desk staff was very cordial. Our assigned room was not ready in building 27, so they found us a clean room in building 24 which worked out perfectly as we had friends in that same building and it was closer to the swimming pools. We were assigned to an end room, which was also fabulous as our views were better than those from the middle of the building.

We reserved a two bedroom unit, and I must say that the main part of the unit is very spacious and well appointed. The master bedroom is large with a garden tub and vanity with sink, and there is a separate bathroom with sink, shower and toilet that is accessible from the master bedroom or kitchen area.

The kitchen is adequate with everything you need for food preparation for six (including dishes and glassware), and the dining table easily seats six. The living room is comfortable with a fireplace and a large flat screen tv mounted over the fireplace.

The only disappointment we had was the size of the second bedroom - it is a lock off unit, and while it served its purpose and had a king size bed in it - thinking about it as a separate room that is often rented as a "hotel room" is not a good thing. I believe that if that is all the room I had, I would become claustrophobic The room has a small bathroom, wet bar and separate balcony area.

The resort is huge - lots of buildings with lots of rooms in every building. Luckily we were near the pool area - but there were some buildings that were a significant distance from the area. The pools are great - one is very family oriented with a big slide, and one (we were told) is an "adult pool", although we saw some kids in it. Most of the young people were in the larger pool. Around the pools are cabanas that are first come-first serve, and also tented areas with cooling misters that run all day. On the weekends, the pools were packed with people, but during the week it was much more manageable. If you plan any excursions, weekend days might be the time to go so you miss the crowds at the pools and save the week days for the pool when you can enjoy it more.

There is a bar between the two pools, and also places where you can get food. We didn't eat there, but did get some drinks which are expensive at around $10 each. Many people take coolers of drinks to the pool because it's much more cost efficient. I don't think they have a problem with this, as long as there is no glass.

The surrounding area is beautiful and offers magnificent views - landscaping is beautiful, and the golf courses are beautiful. The resort has a fitness center that is relatively unimpressive given the size and number of people at the resort - although, I never saw a significant number of people using it. One reason may be because it is located in the main clubhouse area and a far distance from many of the villas. The fitness center has standard equipment, and the separate locker rooms have saunas and steam rooms.

Next visit to the area we would definitely consider staying at this resort!

Room Tip: Get a top floor unit if you can so you don't hear those above you, and try to get in a building...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank StevenVA
Write a ReviewReviews (1,139)

Reviewed 15 September 2012

Below is my story about how I had money stolen from my room during my 3 day stay at Marriott Shadow Ridge in August 2012, why I believe it was stolen by the Marriott employee, and how Marriott failed to investigate the incidence and communicate to me on the resolution.

My family stayed at Marriott Shadow Ridge in August 2012 for 3 days and we had $200 stolen from my wife's purse while the room was cleaned by the hotel employee. There were 2 hundred dollar bills in one section of my wife's purse and some smaller bills in the other. There were also my smartphone and laptop computer in the room at that time, but the only thing missing was the 2 hundred dollar bills. It was the day after we checked in and House keeping didn't show up to clean the room until we went out to the swimming pool around 3 pm, so we thought the room wasn't going to be cleaned that day and left the purse in the closet, instead of the safe. -- which I regret now, but their safe is locked by a physical key, instead of keypad and we didn't want to carry around the key in the swimming pool.

When we came back from the swimming pool around 5pm, the room had been cleaned, which was unexpected. My wife checked the purse and the money was gone.

We immediately reported the theft, and two loss protection officers came out and said they would speak with the hotel employee that cleaned our room and also check the CCTV to see if anyone entered the room while we were gone. We gave them my and my wife's phone number per their request -- These officers seemed nice--. One of the officers left a voice message that night saying the employee they were going to speak with had already gone home and they would have to wait until the day after.

The next day, we didn't hear anything from them, so I left a couple of voice messages at the Loss Prevention department asking for update. The day after (8/21) we finally heard from someone at the Loss Prevention right before we checked out. He said they spoke with the employee who of course denied the theft, and that they sent the case to the Claims department at the main office who will reach out to me in 5 days.

It has been 25 days since but I haven't heard anything from anyone at Marriott. I left another message at the Loss Prevention department on 9/13. Still no response.

If they --and you who is kindly reading this posting- think I may be lying or mistaken about the money being stolen from the guest room, unfortunately I don't have a way to prove otherwise. But in any case, Marriott's poor and unprofessional handling of this matter deserves harsh criticism, and me and my family will not stay at any Marriott hotels in the future.

Room Tip: Lock your money in the safe. Or choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Je O
Reviewed 12 September 2012

How disappointing to use all of my Marriott reward points on this stay. Although the property is beautiful, we arrived to find tons of people, kids screaming from balconies, young men going back and forth across our back patio for beer runs, no place to park and a closed restaurant. It was like a frat party for young families. Certainly wasn't the quiet retreat I was hoping for.

The room was just okay. We came in to find a large air dryer on the carpet; not sure if it was because the carpet was just cleaned or because someone spilled something. There was absolutely zero phone reception on Sprint or AT&T in the room. We had to leave the property to eat since the restaurant on the property was closed and the other two places only had pre-prepared sandwiches.

The staff was very kind at every encounter, but when I nicely confronted the manager about all of the issues, there was no apology, only a comment that "families from LA are the kind of clientele we have most of the time now." Seemed like a half baked attempt to soothe the situation plus a diss on their patrons!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gropius12
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed a week over Labor Day on a time share trade and are very happy with our stay. Our days consisted of morning bike rides, breakfast on our patio looking out over the golf coarse, relaxing by the pool all afternoon until the desert sunset over the mountains, then back to our unit to make dinner and sit on our patio. So amazingly relaxing.

As for our unit.... We had a roomy ground floor 2 bedroom in building 1800. The units are clean, well furnished, comfortable and ours was only about a blocks stroll to the main pool. We had a grilling area steps away from our unit. The landscaping near our unit (and throughout the resort) is beautiful!!!!

The resort....... The staff are very courteous and helpful. The number of activities offered are very generous from crafts to movies to temporary tatoos to golf lessons..... Labor Day weekend was quite crowded, however, still comfortable. The resort did run out of pool towels, but more because of guest greed than poor planning on the resorts part. The pool area is clean and there are plenty of chairs in the pool area. There are several shaded areas which is great. The broken chairs were being repaired while we were there, so ignore the past posts regarding that. The resort also has bike rentals... which we never did see advertised so we rented bikes elsewhere. The resorts location is central to plenty of markets to stock up groceries... our favorite being Bristol Farms which was a 5 minute drive. Walmart is right down the street, maybe 3 minutes at most, along with other shopping.

Loved it! We will go back, for sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

After friends staying here and loving it, and booking it for clients in the past, I was so under impressed when I finally visited for myself Aug 4-11, 2012. LONG line at check-in, on a Saturday which is a standard :check-in: date, you would thin they would be fully staffed. We got to the room, dirty tub, had someone come up to scrub. Dusty end tables and clock radio, looks like no one had dusted in weeks. We went to the kids center and the lady there, was so rude and uninviting to me and my kids, ignored us instead of welcoming us, my kids did not want to go back. The pool is so overcrowded! By 8 am there is a towel "saving" EVERY seat under the shade tarp, about 60 chairs and I counted 6 people there at the pool. Even though there is a sign that says "no chair saving". All I wanted to do was sit by the shallow end and watch my kids that can't swim well. I told the guy in the pool hut, and he said there was nothing he could do and I had to call security. I did, and she came, walked through the pool area and did nothing! I was blown away! There were a few other things wrong too, but would of been minor if these other huge problems weren't happening.

Room Tip: Buildings 14,15,16 are closest to the pool. The new Enclaves section is a bit separated and probabl...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LTsandiego
MVCI_Executive, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at Marriott's Shadow Ridge. This is not typical of the guest experience at our resort and we would appreciate an opportunity to personally address your concerns. Please contact us at customer.care@vacationclub.com or at 800 860 9384. We look forward to hearing from you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Desert
0.2 km away
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves
3.7 km away
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages? Share your experiences!