I've been wanting to return to the Palm Springs area for years, and 2012 was the perfect opportunity for a vacation there. We were there the last week in August, so we expected hot temperatures, and we got them.....luckily the humidity was relatively low (per east coast standards), so it was definitely not unbearable.
Check in at the resort was very easy and quick, and the front desk staff was very cordial. Our assigned room was not ready in building 27, so they found us a clean room in building 24 which worked out perfectly as we had friends in that same building and it was closer to the swimming pools. We were assigned to an end room, which was also fabulous as our views were better than those from the middle of the building.
We reserved a two bedroom unit, and I must say that the main part of the unit is very spacious and well appointed. The master bedroom is large with a garden tub and vanity with sink, and there is a separate bathroom with sink, shower and toilet that is accessible from the master bedroom or kitchen area.
The kitchen is adequate with everything you need for food preparation for six (including dishes and glassware), and the dining table easily seats six. The living room is comfortable with a fireplace and a large flat screen tv mounted over the fireplace.
The only disappointment we had was the size of the second bedroom - it is a lock off unit, and while it served its purpose and had a king size bed in it - thinking about it as a separate room that is often rented as a "hotel room" is not a good thing. I believe that if that is all the room I had, I would become claustrophobic The room has a small bathroom, wet bar and separate balcony area.
The resort is huge - lots of buildings with lots of rooms in every building. Luckily we were near the pool area - but there were some buildings that were a significant distance from the area. The pools are great - one is very family oriented with a big slide, and one (we were told) is an "adult pool", although we saw some kids in it. Most of the young people were in the larger pool. Around the pools are cabanas that are first come-first serve, and also tented areas with cooling misters that run all day. On the weekends, the pools were packed with people, but during the week it was much more manageable. If you plan any excursions, weekend days might be the time to go so you miss the crowds at the pools and save the week days for the pool when you can enjoy it more.
There is a bar between the two pools, and also places where you can get food. We didn't eat there, but did get some drinks which are expensive at around $10 each. Many people take coolers of drinks to the pool because it's much more cost efficient. I don't think they have a problem with this, as long as there is no glass.
The surrounding area is beautiful and offers magnificent views - landscaping is beautiful, and the golf courses are beautiful. The resort has a fitness center that is relatively unimpressive given the size and number of people at the resort - although, I never saw a significant number of people using it. One reason may be because it is located in the main clubhouse area and a far distance from many of the villas. The fitness center has standard equipment, and the separate locker rooms have saunas and steam rooms.
Next visit to the area we would definitely consider staying at this resort!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Southern California's magnificent mountain ranges serve as the breathtaking backdrop for Marriott's Shadow Ridge. Spacious villas overlook rolling fairways and sparkling lakes weaving throughout the landscape. Beautiful master suites feature a king bed and oversized soaking tub while the spacious living and dining areas, and fully kitchen offer convenience and comfort. Swing by the Faldo Golf Institute by Marriott and try your luck on the championship course. Then relax at Nick Faldo's Bar & Grill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with lastminute.com.au, Evoline ltd, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott`s Shadow Ridge Hotel Palm Desert
- Marriotts Palm Desert
- Marriotts Hotel Shadow Ridge
- Marriott Palm Desert
- Marriott Shadow Ridge
- Marriotts Shadow Ridge
- Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages Palm Desert, California Desert