“Wonderful!”

Ranked #3 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Tehachapi, California
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

My husband and I needed to decompress and knew it would take a few days before we could actually do so. We started our decompression in Cambria and made our way down the coast and found ourselves 3 days later at Ojai Retreat. We only planned on one night but loved it here so much we asked to stay another. The staff was so accomodating. Our room was not available so they moved us to another room just as beautiful and comfortable as the first. The awesome views, the quite surroundings, the yummy breakfast, everything turned out just perfect for us. We will definitely return again to decompress and will actually start our trip here at the Ojai Retreat and finish it off there as well!

Room Tip: Go online and you will be directed to videos of the different rooms and choose from there because th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Burbank, California
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Lovely, peaceful, relaxing... A great place to rest and rejuvenate. My husband and I made a last-minute decision to get out of town, and we're so glad we chose to stay at The Ojai Retreat. There are no televisions, phones, pets or young children, just nature and quiet.

We stayed in their largest room which is separate from the other rooms, the Ojai Suite, which is actually two rooms - a bedroom and a livingroom with a mini-kitchen with fridge and microwave. There is also a full bathroom with tub & shower. It has an incredible view from the bedroom and from its own large patio. It's private and so peaceful.

There is also a nearby main house with a great room with comfy seating and lots of spiritual (not religious) reading material and beautiful views of the property. This is where they serve a morning buffet of fresh fruit, pastries, eggs and coffee.

There is a lovely fountain and several great walking trails on the property with perfectly placed benches to rest and meditate. This place is all about rejuvenating, and the staff is friendly and supportive of your goals to find peace.

Although the rooms are a bit pricey, there is no 10% tax because this is a non-profit, and that saves you money over a traditional hotel. We booked our room the day we were arriving so we also got a 20% discount. That saved us money to use for food at several restaurants, such as The Ranch House just down the road. It’s expensive but lovely with lush gardens and flowing fountains. And the food is fabulous! Also there is Suzanne's Cuisine in downtown Ojai. Expensive but the food was yummy! Both restaurants were worth the cost. For breakfast the Ojai Cafe Emporium on Montgomery Street is absolutely the best. It's worth the wait to get a table.

We'll be better prepared the next time we're in Ojai so we can find the hiking and biking trails in the area. And we definitely look forward to staying at the Ojai Retreat again! Peace and quiet - just what we all need!

Room Tip: The Ojai Suite is the largest room and separate from all the others. A couple of rooms have a view o...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
connecticut
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My husband and I visit So. Ca. annually while visiting my folks as a side trip for ourselves. Last year was LV, NV. This year, we decided on Ojai, CA. due to TV program of Brothers and Sisters. Anyway, we drove the dreary So. Ca. freeways of 210, 134, 101 to reach our destination. We were treated to a wonderful surprise when we arrived to Ojai Retreat. It was peaceful, tranquil, and NO children on sight on the grounds as promised on the website. No TV was something we can't deal but we survived two nights without electrical entertainment. In the day, we went to downtown Ojai after breakfast. In the evening, we would read quietly and talk until sleeping time. Although we chose to spend quiet time in Ojai after the New Year's, we still find things to do in Ojai driving around the countryside, shops, and eateries. The welcome staff is friendly, the chamber staff is on top of things and requests, the breakfast was sufficient, healthy, organically-inclined. Keep up the good work. If the owners' motto/mission was quiet and tranquility. They met their goals. Yes, I totally agree that the grounds should be kept sacred from pets and young children. There should be places JUST FOR ADULTS. We have too many pet-friendly and children-friendly premises, why not for quiet adult-friendly places to stay?
To end with a pleasant note, we returned to So. Ca. via the PC Hwy 1 and stopped by Santa Monica Pier before heading east on 10.

Room Tip: The only reeom that has king size bed is Adyar room. We prefer that.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank asianinct
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 January 2012

The Patio Room currently has an infestation of ants. When I turned on the faucet for the bath tub, hundreds of ants were flushed out with the water. Had I been in the tub at the moment that this happened, I would have been covered in ants! I spoke with the woman in the office about it. She indicated that there have been ant problems in the Patio Room in the past. She explained that the ants are attracted to the water. She also seemed a bit defensive about the problem. After I mentioned that I could have been covered in ants had I been in the tub when I turned the water on, she stated, "You shouldn't be in the tub when you turn on the water. That's how you get scalded." I guess she thinks it's good customer service to blame the victim. Also, after I explained that my fiance and I had spent a lot of time trying to kill and get rid of the ants, she said, "There's ant killer in the cupboard." Well, that solves everything! In the end, she gave me a 10% discount.

Aside from the ant infestation, my stay at the Ojai Retreat was satisfying. The location is serene and peaceful and has beautiful views. The breakfast was delicious. I gave only 3 stars because the cost of the room ($215/night) was excessive considering the room was infested with ants and the customer service was not very good when I reported the problem.

Room Tip: Don't book the Patio Room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank newfoundwanderlust
gwendolyn, General Manager at Ojai Retreat, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear Jonathan and Eva,

We saw your review of your stay here at the Ojai Retreat and we want to extend to you our heartfelt apologies that your stay was not what you’d hoped for and that you did not feel heard when you told us about the problems with the ants in the Patio room. We are so sorry that we did not realize exactly how serious this was to you and wish that we had taken more time to respond to your concerns to the degree warranted. We really wanted your stay here to be wonderful and it wasn’t.

We do appreciate your feedback and take seriously your concerns. We contend with ants (and the other inevitabilities of being in such a beautiful natural setting) on an ongoing basis and we want to assure you that, after you left, we took immediate steps to insure that such a situation will not occur again.

We are also sorry that the refund amount offered you at check out was clearly not adequate to compensate for your discomfort. Please accept this Gift Certificate for a two night stay as our guests. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future to host you for a visit to Ojai.
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 3 January 2012

As a Christmas gift, I gave my daughter an overnight in Ojai. Of course my choice of lodging was the Ojai Retreat as I had stayed there several time before and loved it. It is quiet, inviting, simply appointed and exudes a soulful grace.

The whole experience was delightful. We will return again as soon as we have another break.

Room Tip: There are nice pictures and descriptions available
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family