Best Western Plus Oceanside Palms(Oceanside)(Great Value!)
USD 151
USD 132
Best Western Oceanside Inn(Oceanside)(Great Value!)
USD 122
USD 110
Comfort Suites Oceanside Marina(Oceanside)(Great Value!)
USD 139
USD 124
ComfortSuites
Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Oceanside(Oceanside)(Great Value!)
USD 136
USD 133
Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Oceanside(Oceanside)(Great Value!)
USD 189
Days Inn by Wyndham Oceanside(Oceanside)(Great Value!)
USD 110
La Quinta Inn San Diego Oceanside(Oceanside)(Great Value!)
USD 179
USD 151
Coast Inn(Oceanside)
USD 78
All reviewsrooftop poolan ocean view roomvalet staffvalet parking isfish housewhite noise generatorper dayempty lottrain noisetop gunsliding doorwafflesfree breakfastocean frontsmall balconyloved this hotelpool towels
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Where to begin with the review of this property? I’ve read a ton of reviews here on TripAdvisor and I am struggling a little bit simply because SO many people like it. I spend a very large portion of my nights in hotel rooms and a good portion of those nights are in Marriott properties. I _wanted_ to like this property, I REALLY did, but so many thing about it made that very hard. A couple things I’ll admit right up front:

1. I’m a business traveler, so the “little things” really stand out to me. In other words, since I am in hotels so often, I’m probably bothered by small things that might go un-noticed or shrugged off by the casual traveler.

2. I was at this property during Spring Break, so I have no doubt that they were at capacity and that probably makes things challenging.

I read numerous reviews about the noise from the passing trains on the city side of the hotel and I re-booked in an ocean view room because that just wasn’t going to be tolerable for me and my family. After booking that room, I called to see if they could confirm the new reservation and possibly put me into a specific room that looked good from Google Street view. The gentlemen I spoke with on the phone (at the front desk) was very accommodating and had some very useful information. So far, so good.

Arrival at the property was good. Everything looked clean outside and the front desk staff made short work of check-in.

That’s about as pleasant as I can get about it. So, here’s the “meat” of my review….the negatives.

1. The “elephant in the room” is the noise from the trains. Like I said, we had an ocean view and we still, very clearly, heard every single train. I can’t even imagine what the city-side rooms are like. It must be horrible, there is no other option. It’s out of Marriott’s control at this point, but I’d love to hear the logic as to why the hotel was built within inches of the train tracks in the first place.

2. The breakfast area is in the lobby. That is positively silly. You need your room key to go up the elevator, to go into the workout room, to use the pool, but breakfast? Anybody can walk in the front door and help themselves and I assure you that I saw multiple people do just that.

3. The staff hard a VERY hard time keeping up with the demands of the breakfast crowd. Lots of stuff would run out and we’d have to ask for more. Coffee, hot water for tea, fruit, yogurt, bananas, etc. They would just go empty until we said something.

4. The fresh fruit was extremely pathetic. We saw melon and pineapple all week and that’s it. Sometimes it would be both and sometimes it would just be one or the other. I know full well that this is not the norm for Springhill properties.

5. Never once, all week, did we ever see actual real butter at breakfast. Not only that, when I asked for it each morning, I got different answers from different people as to why there wasn’t any. Come on, it’s just butter, how hard can it be?

6. No coffee left out during the day? I can get coffee in the lobby, during the day, of most brands in the Marriott and the Hilton portfolio, but not at _this_ Springhill? I thought that I had to simply not be seeing it, so I asked at the desk and I was specifically told that once breakfast was closed, there is no more coffee. Must be something specific to this location because I’ve never heard of that at a Springhill before.

7. The valets seemed to be incapable of retrieving our car when calling ahead for it from our room. I got a different excuse every day as to why they hadn’t gotten my car yet and they were very apologetic and nice about it, but not once was our car waiting for us when we called from the room and requested to have the car brought out. They were quick to get it once they realized their mistake, but with 3 kids in tow, I wanted it to be sitting in the drive waiting. After all, that is the entire point of calling ahead. I assure you, this cost the valets some tips.

8. *PAY ATTENTION TO THIS ONE* I was on the pool deck with the kids while they played in the pool and I just happened to be looking South off the edge of the roof (watching the trains) when a black Honda Accord came screaming out of the parking garage, locks up the brakes to make a skidding right turn (to the west), then races towards the stop sign at the exit of the parking lot, which they then blew right through and made another right turn towards the front of the hotel. So, I sprint across the pool deck to see where it went and wouldn’t you know it, they pulled into the front drive of the hotel! …..and guess what?!?!? …..A hotel valet driver got out of the car! Talk about LOW CLASS! I brought it to the attention of the valet manager immediately and the next day he told me he had a conversation with the driver in question. As far as I am concerned, that’s should be grounds for dismissal. A valet’s job is driving other people’s cars and if that’s the level of respect they are going to show other people’s property, they have NO place doing the job. This is the real world, not “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”

9. The pool deck itself was pretty clean, but once you start looking outside the railing, it was a mess. Tons of cigarette butts, beer cans, trash, debris, etc. It would take so little effort to clean that stuff up, but it was there all week and certainly looked like it had been there much longer than that.

10. No newspapers in the morning. Maybe that’s getting phased out? However, I can tell you for sure that I have no problem getting a newspaper at other Marriott and Hilton properties. When I asked at the front desk I was directed to a “convenience store around the corner”.

11. The elevators are mind numbingly slow. Trying to go up or down at a busy time (in/around check-in or check-out time) can result in waiting 5-7 minutes for an elevator to arrive and then make it to the floor you have selected. During the off hours, it’s not a big deal. That leads to……

12. There is no stairwell that leads to the lobby. So, if you get tired of waiting for the slow elevator, you can’t go down the stairs and get to the lobby. You have to go down the stairs, which dumps you outside and then you have to walk around the building and back into the lobby.

13. The rooftop restaurant (3rd floor, I think) that faces the ocean was A) pretty busy and B) seemed to enjoy playing loud music. We were on the 5th floor and could hear it pretty clearly until closing time. I felt very bad for the people who had ocean view rooms on the 3rd floor and had to share space with the restaurant and the patrons. That would be zero fun.

Overall, I guess it was an “okay” stay. Is it SUPER convenient for walking to the beach? Absolutely. I just would have expected more from a location like this, from this brand and for the room rates charged. In the future, I will certainly give a second look at other locations before considering this one again.

The highlight of the hotel, for me, was Dennis (Valet). He was VERY good at listening to what I had to say, even if it wasn’t valet related and taking it to heart.

Room Tip: Oceanview room or stay somewhere else. Period.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Benjamin H
Stormi P, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Benjamin- I appreciate the honest and detailed review. We agree, the details are where it is and we didn't hit the mark! On behalf of my entire team I sincerely apologize. We have addressed your feedback as a team and are currently taking measures to improve up on the guest experience. If you travel ventures ever bring you back to Oceanside, we would love the opportunity to host your visit again and gain your loyalty by showing you an experience truly reflective of the service we are known for providing. I appreciate the time you took to share this and the opportunity to improve. P.S. We have shared the kind accolades direcrtly with Dennis, we think he is awesome too!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

...the positive out weighs the negative...
View ,all the amenities .. customer service,housekeeping and promptly valet...
Everybody was affected by the hospitality of the hotel ....making a every All visitors friendly!!!
#faster elevator needed please

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Waltier- We are working on the elevators as we speak! Their lack of speed drives us nuts too! Thanks for the awesome review and we will see you soon!

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel w some of our kids. It was very spacious, clean and we all felt safe. The roof top pool and hot tub are hard to beat. It’s a beautiful and priceless view from our balcony. The trains come by often and are not shy about their entrance or exit at any time of day or night.... luckily, we were at the front of the hotel and the sound was not as loud. Service is truly exceptional. Stormi went ABOVE AND BEYOND on our behalf as did Ellie....both incredibly kind and helpful. Felt very welcomed and that our stay in this hotel mattered to them. Would not hesitate to return....but, would definitely make certain our room was toward front of hotel.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Stormi P, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Millermany- Thanks for the superb review. Those darn trains are a pain! We appreciate the kind words and the acknowledgement of our service- it is our goal to be as transparent as possible regarding the proximity to the tracks and ensure you have an amazing stay. I am glad to hear we succeeded. We look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

In town for business and normally stay somewhere else but decided to try something different and I was extremely pleased.

Rooms are spacious, beds are comfortable and except for the train that runs right past the hotel I found this hotel to be conveniently located in downtown Oceanside.

Has spectacular views and the hotel has it setup where the majority of the rooms can see the beach

Rooftop pools and lounges

Parking is not idea but they have valet and there is offsite public parking

Definitely will be staying here again

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business

CheMike-

Thanks for taking a risk and trying us out. We appreciate the kind words and that you found the location to be convenient. Come in on a Thursday and you will be able to checkout the awesome farmers market right here in downtown O'side! See you soon.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

Location, value and Service can't be beat, especially for a beach city. Shops, restaurants and the pier/beach within a few minutes walking distance. Rooms I've stayed in have been spacious, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast included and parking available for a fee.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends