“Very salty food: heart patients take note”
Review of Union Hotel

Union Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Occidental
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

We came in for lunch on the high recommendation of a friend. The place wasn’t very full but we were told we’d have to wait to be served. We waited for a half hour after being seated. When our server arrived things moved a bit quicker. The food is good but so salty. The soup was salty and the pasta sauce was so salty it felt hot with salt. We could not finish our meals. I have a heart condition and heavy salt gives me racing heart beats and palpitations. The food is pretty good once you get served.

Reviewed 18 September 2018

My brother-from-another-mother was back in CA after 35+ years of moving back to TN. I wanted to take him and his wife (whom I had never met) out to lunch. The Union Hotel was the perfect spot for lunch. It allowed me to show them the great beauty of the area as we drove to and from Occidental. We each had the ribeye steak. It came with bread, salami & cheese, salad, soup, antipasto, raviolis, potatoes, and vegetables. He is back in TN and I spoke with him today. The first words out of his mouth (after hello) was, "The next time I come back to CA, we HAVE to go back to the Union Hotel. I cannot stop telling people about that fabulous lunch. The best steak I have ever had"

1  Thank SignorOrso
Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

Family pasta dinner? They have great pasta, great salad and great garlic bread. You can dine in, pick up or have it delivered. Delivery is fast and courteous with piping hot food!

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank LisaH6232
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

This place is fantastic! Darling little town, delicious food and a great atmosphere. Would jump at the chance to go back.

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

When you want to find the best secret restaurant in an area, ask a local. But you don't ask them where they think it's nice. You ask them where they go when they want a nice meal. That's how we found this. It's in a small town inland from the beach. Most of the dining is in the bar, main dining room which is huge, to banquet rooms, or the outdoor deck. We were told that we would not leave hungry and that was true. The cuisine is abundant Italian, with very modest prices, friendly and quick service, a good wine list, and a nice selection of desserts. It was a little confusing that they had both a family-style menu and an a la carte menu. We're still confused as to the difference. The bulk of the entrées are between $10 and $16. We are told that the steaks are excellent, but stuck to Italian on the night we were there. Because you dine in a big hall, you could not call it intimate, but on the night we were there most of our fellow diners were couples, local families, and local groups.