“"Something Italian"”

Desco
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 September 2016

On a warm Sunday afternoon my family and I wanted a good Italian meal that was not too heavy. We arrived early for dinner about 4:30. It was my first visit and I wanted to taste a 'Caprese' salad that reminded me of northern Italy (Five Hills area). The salad was great: plump tasty tomatoes (summer sun in a bite) the cheese was delightfully light and combined with the dressing (home made) you will not want to share.
The arugula topped Margherita pizza was declared excellent by several. I choose the new to me Branzino fish entre with black wild rice (tasty....superb! so tasty that all at the table wanted some and then some more. Great portion size. The service was great, Jeff was patient for one of the grandma's who could not decide which choice she wanted. The wine was very nice. Great spot for family or business, I will be back to enjoy.

Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

We were a group of 6 who attended the Oakland Food Truck festival. We wanted to have a true sit down dinner near the Embarcadero where we were parked. We searched for restaurants within walking and decided on Desco. We were fortunate that they had a raised table for six. We walked to it. It is in downtown Oakland.
It is a small restaurant with a bar and outside seating. We were not all that hungry, but interested in some good food. The menu provides enough choices. Two of us ordered the risotto with oxtails. They were very pleased. One ordered the spaghetti bolognese and was pleased. I ordered the Cosonsei pork and amaretto crumbs scamorza. The ravioli were tasty and I liked the bacon bites and the oil. We ordered bread and I used a slice to soak up the fat.
We all thought the food was delicious and well representative of good fusion Italian food.
We spent $23 a person with 18% gratuity included.

Reviewed 14 September 2016

And I have lived in NYC where there is great Italian food and I have been to Italy and Oh yes I am part Italian with family members from the old country who make homemade pasta and sauces. If you have family from Liguria you will appreciate the trofie (spicy) delicious. There are many restaurants to choose from but I had to go back to have the lamb cheek papperdelle. Ok almost as important a great local neighborhood bar. Two nights I went in alone and sat at the bar after my meetings--great bartenders and great neighbors sitting and just talking about stuff and yes sharing food.

Reviewed 11 September 2016

My son and I arrived for dinner and I ordered a martini with olives. The waitress ttold usthat there were no olives left. My son, knowing how much I enjoyed martinis, and working in a big company in Oakland offered to go out to obtain the olives. He did and donated them to the bar. We had an excellent meal and good service. When the bill came I was surprised that we were not compted for either my martini or his beer. I asked the waitress to ask the manager. She was told that he refused to do so.
I paid the bill and went to the manager. He repeated his refusal and offered to give me the bottle back in a arrogant manner. It's hard to believe that a restaurant of this caliber would employ a manager with such poor customer service skills.
I have reviewed a number of times for trip advisor and this is the first negative review that I have posted.
Owners of Desco pay attention to your customers. It is the principle that counts not the price of a bottle of olives!

Reviewed 18 August 2016

This review is for take out for dinner, so maybe if I had stayed to eat, it would have been better. It was very meh, but expensive meh, in my opinion. It came to about $35 for a caprese salad, ravioli, and side of squash, which would have been fine if the portions were huge; they were not. The flavors were good. It was just a tad expensive for what I got.